Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Tip Of The Day

Boolit Master

Good thread that has gone down hill of late. For fun (to each his own) I counted. There are (now) 501 responses. I miscounted and left out 4 somewhere (but at this point I don't care):

YEAR - RESPONSES
    2011 - 173
    2012 - 77
    2013 - 53
    2014 - 47
    2015 - 33
    2016 - 38
    2017 - 19
    2018 - 4
    2019 - 30
    2020 - 11
    2021 - 12 (so far)
    That is 497 of 501

There is duplication. I don't know how many are original. At least 6 are "don't pet a burning dog", which is sick. Honestly?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

All the good tips are done.

Here's my tip though, buy spare parts for your press and dies. Decamping pins and spare screws are cheap, and nothing sucks more than having a casting or reloading session stopped because you domt have a $5 part.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My tip would be, if replacing either AA or AAA batteries in electronic any thing, don’t use anything that might leak. It ruins devices like scales, or low primer buzzer, or low powder level buzzer, powder check buzzer. I’ve gone thru and replaced all batteries with the new lithium type. They are a little higher voltage and says they wont leak. And they cost a little more $1.00-2.00. But it’s worth the extra if they wont leak.

Powder coat in bulk. You don't need a perfect coat and it really saves a lot of time...
    WWG1WGA

Don't wake up grumpy... Let her sleep in.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Bub
    A small bunch of crumpled up newspaper works great for cleaning case necks. Just tear off a handfull, fold it over a few times, hold it between your thumb and a couple of fingers, and twirl the neck around in it a few times.

Slick as can be,.... done!

Ted

Boolit Master
    if you can't find your shell holder, just unscrew the whole decapping stem from the sizing die and screw into the press.
    Then just run the shells up into the sizing
    die.I put a flat washer to protect the top of the ram. You should set the resize die so there is 1/4 inch between it and the flat washer and lock down the die.
    With the first shell stuck in the die less a quarter inch, lower the ram and prepare to catch the first shell when you tap it out with the rod.
    The shell is sized so it will pop out with a medium tap to start it.
    You can also remove the bulge from any cases by eliminating the shell holder.
    This sizes the case all the way down to the web inside the case.You can size all the way to the rim but there's no need.
    Don't bottom out the ram. against the die.
    If it's carbide, you can crack the brittle insert.

My 'Tip of the Day' is...

If you have a clear Polycarbnate or whatever Powder Reservoir for your Power Dispenser, have a slip of Paper against the inside, which says what Powder it is.

This way if taking a break for a while ( weeks, months, etc ) there will be no mystery or doubts or concerns or confusions about what Powder is in the Powder Dispenser.

Viz -

Hosted on Fotki

If you have a "plexy display protector box" for your scale you can screw a handled magnifying glass to the base and you'll be able to get readings from the scale easier.

Boolit Master
    Cast with two pots. I started with a 10lb bottom pour pot, but noticed debris and oxides forming more readily as the pot got close to empty. So I got added a ladle style pot as my first melt & heat pot. After fluxing the newly melted lead in the dipper pot, I ladle transfer lead to the bottom pour. Keeps the bottom pour cleaner, and temperatures more consistent.
    Or, don’t start cheap with a small capacity bottom pour pot.

Boolit Bub
    Never sweep your casting/reloading bench off to clean up lead drips, chips, and small particles, then immediately dump them into a melt. The possibility of minute particles of gun powder or even a stray live primer can be a terrible surprise. Keep the sweeping in a can, heat them up on top of a cold pot.

Yep, saw this happen at a buddies house !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM54 View Post
    Never sweep your casting/reloading bench off to clean up lead drips, chips, and small particles, then immediately dump them into a melt. The possibility of minute particles of gun powder or even a stray live primer can be a terrible surprise. Keep the sweeping in a can, heat them up on top of a cold pot.

Yep, saw this happen at a buddies house !!!!!!!!
    Also, when heating up a pot full of sprues that has sat on the floor for a year, dump it and look inside. Better than having to incur the wrath of the wife for waking her up at 5am so suddenly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1210200630a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	292819

When smelting or casting do it outside, in an open garage, under a carport, etc. with a fan blowing past you and your casting pot. Wash your hands afterward before doing anything else.

Boolit Man
    Don't drink coffee while while using your melting pot, you might get them mixed up...but then again if your drinking Folgers, you may not taste the difference.

Don't eat or drink while melting lead.

Boolit Master
    Reduce metal oxides with a wood stick. Don’t plunge the stick into the lead, but just rub the top where you see the oxides. When the stick gets hot, rub it on some wax and the rub the top surface of your lead again.
    This is faster than waiting for saw dust to slowly burn, and cleaner than throwing in a chunk of wax.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Reduce metal oxides with a wood stick. Don’t plunge the stick into the lead, but just rub the top where you see the oxides. When the stick gets hot, rub it on some wax and the rub the top surface of your lead again.
    This is faster than waiting for saw dust to slowly burn, and cleaner than throwing in a chunk of wax.
    Paint stir sticks work great.

Boolit Master
    If you live in New York, MOVE
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    If you live in New York, MOVE
    Same goes for New Jersey.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't read all the responses so hopefully this isn't a double. I got tired of looking thru all my molds to find what I wanted. I started labeling my mold handles with a sharpie with the mold # and also my pot setting I use with that mold. Makes finding the right mold much quicker and don't have to rely on my memory or a notebook for pot settings.

Boolit Master
    My tip is be very leery of any thread dealing with STOPPING POWER.
    Those threads never solve anything that I've ever known of.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast