Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: making up a powder order

Banned

Question making up a powder order

Gentlemen,

I live about 15 minutes from Pat's reloading and I think it's time I buy some surplus powders while they're still available & cheap. I plan to buy about 40 lbs or so.

Pat's currently has in stock;

WC-872
    WC-860
    IMR-5010
    IMR-7383

I was wondering whick I should buy? I currently load for the following, in order of importance;

8X57mm
    7.62X54R
    308 Win
    30-30 Win

I'll also soon be reloading for;

303 Brit
    7.5X55
    7.7 Jap
    and others.

Which, if any, of these powders would be suitable for my needs? I use mostly Jword bullets at the moment, but will be using real boolits in most cartridges soon. Velocity is not terribly important to me, I mostly punch paper between 50 and 200 yards. Any deer I do shoot are so close that they'll never know the difference between 1500 f.p.s. and 3000 f.p.s.

I'd prefer actual tested data for the powders you can suggest, or at least a "similar to" starting point.

Thanks

SSB

Boolit Master

SSB, don't overlook WC820 either. If you shoot mag handguns this is a very good powder, very similar in burn rate to Accurate #9. When you get around to shooting true projectiles in your milsurp rifles do a search in some of the past posts and look for Mavens work. He has given load data for several of those calibers...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Well, it won't take care of all of them, but I would recommend the WC 860 for the larger case capacity cartridges, the 308, 7.62, 7 X 57. I believe it is cases with a capacity of over eiher 60 or 65 grains do well with WC 860, especially for the price. Do a search for WC 860 and you should get a lot of good information on it.

Ron

Smile

IMR 7383 is my main powder in all medium calibers similar to the ones you mentioned. Works for everything from mild cast boolit plinking loads at ~1800 FPs up to full hunting loads with J-bullets. Won't reach the maximum velocity that can be reached with faster burning, denser powders like 4895, though. Usually can't be loaded to a "maximum load" before running out of case space.

WC860 and WC872 are much slower. I save it for maximum loads in magnum cartridges, and usually run out of case space before reaching a "maximum load" with them.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Banned
    Ricochet,

Sounds like what I am looking for. Can you recommend loads for 8X57mm with 185-200gr Jword bullets and 7.62X54R with 180gr bullets?

Thanks

SSB

SSB, Given the capacity of the 8 x 57mm case, you'd be hard put to fill it with enough IMR 7383 & j-word bullets to make it worth your while. I.e., 7383 is less dense than 4064 or 4350 and thus takes up more room in the case. IMR 4064 is a much better choice for that application.