RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Horse Radish

i have it wild on my acreage, as well there is an old roadbed that has about 400 yds of it along both sides.

I'm sure if I wanted, I could dig 100lbs in a day.

if you have some growing and want it to spread well, just hit it with a roto-tiller... chunks it up nicely... and you will have it forever!

Boolit Master

I can tell none of you have Horses. or you have them on other side of state. A horse will dig a hole 3 ft deep to eat it .
    Oh there is a brand sold in some stores, Called Woelers It is PURE not mix of turnip .
    If you get up in night and have a stuffy nose , put a knife tip on you toung . may need to do outside . Its in the cooler section most times around cool dressings
    Its so good the shrimp grow legs and run

Planted 12 starters Sunday in great hopes of it growing like a weed along my fence.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I tried twice to plant a starter in an area where it could spread , sadly neither one took off . Fortunately there is a local farmer that grinds and bottles the stuff that is plenty powerful enough fo me .

Maybe now I'm retired I can try a "bucket garden" for it and keep it closer to the real garden .

Jack

Boolit Master
    Move to the Klamath Basin in California if you love horseradish. It is a way of life there.
    http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/cr...lert092205.htm
    This area grows most of the horseradish used in the world. It is Gods country too.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

I was wondering how the starts I sent out are doing. I would appreciate any updates.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Longwood
    I planted some in a 12" deep bed of pure compost in Costa Mesa CA. I could hardly see over the top of it and I got about 15 lbs from each plant.
    I don't care for it much but it is a nice looking plant and I sure like watching it grow.
    Last edited by Longwood; 05-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    I planted some in a 12" deep bed of pure compost in Costa Mesa CA. I could hardly see over the top of it and I got about 15 lbs from each plant.
    I don't care for it much but it is a nice looking plant and I sure like watching it grow.
    Yee Ha!
    I have found it to grow well in almost any soil but in rich soil it grows extremely well. I too like the looks of it and have a partial HR border on one garden. It grows to 3+ feet around here depending on soil and weather conditions.

I had given a buddy a start years ago. He lived in a summer cabin along the river where the drive was close to the front door and the whole front of the place had been crushed limestone. He had used RR ties to make a flower bed out from the house approx 3' He had used a couple inches of dirt and the mulch over top of the stone.I helped them move a few years later and we dug the HR that he had planted there. It was amazing! There were roots 3' - 4' long growing through the stone! They were thicker than a mans thumb for most of the length! I mulched part of my patch with scrap drywall last year to see if that made any difference.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Banned
    The Ministry of Plenty will be Begging to get some of this HorseRadish to go with fresh Maine Lobster.

Only about half of the cutting have taken but I suspect that anouter week or so more may pop up.

I need to build up anouther 20 Buckets to plant them in.

the PH required should be 6.0 with lots of Potash and Boron and Nitriogen.

(Hoisted by your own Petiole)

Root growth location can be influenced by “lifting.” After the shoots and new roots have begun to grow, early in the season the crown end is lifted an inch or two with a short jerk. This can be done by grasping the top growth by hand and pulling gently, but often a metal rod, which is bent at the end into a U-shape, is used to do the job. It is inserted in the soil to hook the set under the crown and then lifted. Lifting breaks early roots forming below the crown (Figure 9a), forcing more rooting at the distal end, and ultimately, a larger main root. Also at this time the multiple shoots forming the crown are hand-thinned or “suckered” to one or two (Figure 9b). This will enhance the smoothness of the crown and its appearance, a top grade attribute. Lifting and suckering is not done for wild-root and field-run production and sets are allowed to grow randomly, resulting in less primary root size. For some varieties under ideal conditions, large, primary root size is easily obtained, and lifting and suckering are not required.

Horseradish May 1 2011

Do Goats Eat Horseradish?

Last edited by WickedGoodOutdoors; 05-16-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy

If you make crock pickles, put a few washed horseradish leaves in the crock. I gives a nice flavor to the pickles.

Boolit Master

Anyone care to guess if it would grow in SW FLA? I have a couple of acres and could set some out. The soil is pretty sandy and acidic though. I may just try it anyway, can't cost that much to get a few starts. I do love the stuff.

Wally World (Super Wallys)

Sells horseradish root by the lb in the produce dept. Plant or grind, your choice!

Only 3 of my 12 came up but the three that did are already 18" tall and growing fast.
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

I got a bunch of starts to try. I planted them at varying heights.
    I live in SW Fl., and I got out of the bunch of good healthy starts, Two leaves. One is doing ok, and the rest I have yet to see.
    Hopefully, the deep buried roots will get established. I am doubtful though. My soil, here is very sandy, and acidic.
    Arrrgh.
    I had such high hopes.
    The starts came very healthy, and I had such hopes on them. I have a corner of my yard that I have been for over a decade, growing soil! No luck.
    I miss being where things that make sense grow.
    I keep hoping the starts will grow. I water them frequently.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    Only 3 of my 12 came up but the three that did are already 18" tall and growing fast.
    Keep a small can of diesel fuel on hand to
    control the spread of your new menace.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Keep a small can of diesel fuel on hand to
    control the spread of your new menace.
    LOL

My intent is to line the fence with it, so I'll be a few years before I need the diesel fuel.
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Years ago My German wife planted it in 3 different locations. Year one the first patch was dug up but left lots of small stuff in the ground. The 3 year old crop was the good harvest. About 2 1/2" diameter and a couple feet long. After that we only harvested the third year growth.

Had it for years till a nasty neighbor sprayed my garden killing most EVERYTHING including some black current bushes direct from Germany. Neighbor is gone but still have a couple bushes he missed.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Last night I desided it was time to help out my little garden of nose cleaner. Sprayed it down with some 10-40-20 that will get the ol roots to moving in the right direction.
    While I was at it sprayed the tomato's with some 40-40-40. My soil is sandy and grows stuffs pretty well but the fertilizer never seems to last long in it.
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned
    911 Horseradish

WickedGoodOutdoors

Will you overwinter your horseradish outdoors in the buckets?
    Does anyone know what insect will eat the leaves, looks like the same thing that stripped my collards down to stems and veins. I'd hate to dust with Sevin in the buckets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast