MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Recommend me a ladle.

Boolit Buddy

Please Recommend me a ladle.

I'm going to get a ladle and would like your opinions on what to get. I assume I may use it for pouring bullets but more than likely it will be used to skim pots of bad elements, etc. Just let me know any pro's or con's of some. Are they all about the same size or do they vary? If they vary what do you recommend and why?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman and the RCBS and prefer the Lyman. Why? Something about balance and length, they are very slightly different, and one suits me better, that is all.

There are higher-end ladles, and I'm sure they are very nice, but my needs are modest.

I don't like to use my casting ladle to skim dross. Some of the dirt and drek will end up in the next pour of boolits. I use a wooden handled spoon instead.

-HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    I have the cast iron RCBS that they sell at Midwayusa for about $20. It is nice for pouring boolits since it has a hole in the side so if the top skins over it still pours. The cast iron keeps the heat too. I found that steel ladles cool quickly.

For skimming, go to the thrift or dollar stores and find a stainless steel spoon with holes or slots.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Banned

blasternank:

Whatever ladle you get, I suggest you also get a big soup spoon or serving spoon for skimming and don't use your good ladle for that. Let the skimmer spoon get oxides and messed up instead of your good ladle.

When considering ladle size, take into consideration mold cavity size and cavity count . You need a lot bigger ladle for a 6 cavity mold that casts 250 gr bullets than a 2 cavity mold that casts 60 grain bullets. A ladle that holds 50% more than the largest amount you expect to pour is a rule of thumb I follow, less allows too much cooling. Also, a thick Iron ladle holds heat longer than aluminum or steel. I like the heat to hold.

Many casters make their own ladles also. I have seen some fine pictures of excellent home made ladles here on this board.

Gary

Boolit Grand Master

I use an RCBS with the spout drilled out a little and the handle shortened by 1 1/2".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

Whatever you get, make certain it's a Rowel-type and that it's the right size for what you need. I only use a Lyman when I bottom-pour, and I'm not sure a better one can be had. The handle can be screwed into either end for right or left handed people.

Gear

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I prefer my OLD Lyman for casting. It has a shorter handle and is lighter than the newer (10 years old) Lyman or the even longer and larger RCBS. As for stirring and skimming when fluxing, I use a SS teaspoon, and this info is for my 20# pots.

When I make larger batches of alloy or melt WW, range lead, etc, I use Rowell #1 and #2 bottom pour ladles, but they are only used when pouring ingots. For skimming and stirring I use a different, old ladle. BTW, I use a 5 qt dutch oven on a propane fired plumbers' furnace for melting scrap.

I don't like slotted spoons for skimming because they leave the dirt and dross flow through. That stuff still needs to come out!

I like to use a large soup ladle with a hole drill in the side to pour out of and the handel bent to where its comfortable to me. Full loaded it can hold almost 2 pounds of lead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I only use a Lyman when I bottom-pour, and I'm not sure a better one can be had. The handle can be screwed into either end for right or left handed people.

Gear
    I have the exact same ladle, excellent piece of equipment.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    I also use RCBS ladles that have the spouts drill out and the handles shortened a couple inches !
    For lefties the extra boss provided can be tapped and the handle moved to the other side.
    I pour 4 & 6-cavity moulds with them almost every day ! 3000 .44 Specials this week !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    I skim with a stainless soup ladle and pour with either cast iron ladle I grab first. DO NOT SKIM WITH YOUR GOOD LADLES!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    I like to use a large soup ladle with a hole drill in the side to pour out of and the handel bent to where its comfortable to me. Full loaded it can hold almost 2 pounds of lead
    I've got one just like this that I use for pouring ingots. The soup ladle holds a lot more lead than the RCBS.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Grand Master

I think the advice you've gotten, for once, is almost unaninous! Don't skim with your good pouring ladle and the Lyman or RCBS, perhaps with some minor changes, are excellent tools. I use the Lyman but would not mind exchaging it with the RCBS.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a couple of older Lyman ladles .... the cast iron oblong ball type. I'm happy with them as the hold more than enough for boolits. The ladle will hold enough to pour big 69 caliber musket balls with plenty left over.

Several things I keep on hand for ladle pouring. I have a copper rod handy with a flat end. As you pour with a ladle for a bit, the pour hole will clog up a bit. I also keep handy one if the small wooden brass brushes for keeping the inside of the ladle free of accumulating debris.

Pour away !!
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

I agree with bigboredad

'I like to use a large soup ladle with a hole drill in the side to pour out of and the handel bent to where its comfortable to me. Full loaded it can hold almost 2 pounds of lead '

I'm going to have to try drilling a hole in the side

Mine used to have a plastic handle until it melted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010076.jpg  
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks! I've gotten a lot of great ideas from your posts. It's great to be able to get answers to any of your questions all right here in one spot! I've been picking up a lot of casting stuff from everyone's recommendations. I hope I can work it as well as ya'll.

+1 for the Lyman, it easily adapts for right or left handers.

Boolit Master
    I like my Lyman ladle, works great for lefties also. My lee ladle is not much of a ladle for bullets but it is a great stirrer and skimmer.

Boolit Buddy
    It seems that everyone loves their lymans so I think I might go with that! Thanks for all the input.

Boolit Master
    You've already been told not to use the ladle for skimming to that I add;
    For skimming, I had my wife pick up a stainless steel ice tea spoon which is quite long. I then cut off the top, fat part of the handle. I cut off a 6" section of an old broom handle, drilled a hole in, clamped the spoon in a vice and pounded the new wooden handle down onto it. I now have a long tea spoon with an insulated handle for fluxing and skimming in the casting pot.
    At the same flea market, she found a couple of slotted spoons. A long one to skim WW clips when alloying on the plumbers furnace and a table spoon size one for use in the casting furnace.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast