46 19.01%
  • 140 SWC

15 6.20%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best LEE mold for ROSSI '92 .357mag

I have not had a problem getting SWC to feed in my Rossi

Boolit Master
    Derek,
    I'm looking at my Rossi manual that came with my 454 or my 44 magnum, don't know which, both books are exactly the same. The statement at the top of the parts diagram page says "this is intended as a generic guide and not a specific model or guide to assembly". The ejector is part # 32, whether or not "one size fits all" is a question for Rossi. If you need a copy, you are welcome to one of mine if you can't find anything on Rossi's website.

Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    Derek,
    I'm looking at my Rossi manual that came with my 454 or my 44 magnum, don't know which, both books are exactly the same. The statement at the top of the parts diagram page says "this is intended as a generic guide and not a specific model or guide to assembly". The ejector is part # 32, whether or not "one size fits all" is a question for Rossi. If you need a copy, you are welcome to one of mine if you can't find anything on Rossi's website.
    That's OK, I have the same manual.

I"ll call them monday

Thanks

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    The 358429 is a classic and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to shoot more of those.

Curious about what you're pushing the TLs to, as I like the TLs but haven't tried one in the Rossi yet.
    I am not pushing the TL's hard at all, only a little over 1100 fps. I use my Rossi's a lot as a big .22 and shoot steel swingers out to 200 yds. If I really want to move the plates around I use the Keith bullet and 820. My 2 Rossi's and Winnie 94 like the TL's over 4.5-5.0/BE or 5-5.5/231 and 5-6/Unique. Those all run in the 1100-1200 FPS range. I have not tried the TL at speed yet, maybe this summer. The above loads hold pretty close to 3 MOA in all three guns out to 200 yds.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    I am not pushing the TL's hard at all, only a little over 1100 fps. I use my Rossi's a lot as a big .22 and shoot steel swingers out to 200 yds. If I really want to move the plates around I use the Keith bullet and 820. My 2 Rossi's and Winnie 94 like the TL's over 4.5-5.0/BE or 5-5.5/231 and 5-6/Unique. Those all run in the 1100-1200 FPS range. I have not tried the TL at speed yet, maybe this summer. The above loads hold pretty close to 3 MOA in all three guns out to 200 yds.
    Mister, you just sold me a mold!
    That's exactly what I am looking for, but I wasn't too sure how they would do at those velocities once things got a little long - like out to 100 yards. I need a load for around the place that will be mostly from spitting distance, out to a hundred yards. If they go beyond that, they're in the field and making a bee-line for the woods. Past a hundred yards, I would let them be and wish I'd grabbed one of my other rifles, but this will likely do 90% of what I had to do.

"What I have to do" does include just messing around too and that TL makes for a pretty cost-effective projectile for that stuff too.

I will figure out what Keith-type, or more likely RDO's new 175 grainer this summer just in case I get a chance to hunt deer with it. Still can't use a rifle in Ohio for that, so either the .44 or the Muzzle-Loader will still do for that.

Ran the heck out of it Sunday
    It's feeding LEE 158gr SWC GC's now
    Maybe it just needed a bit of break-in
    Life is good

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

fecmech I load the 356402 in my 9MM with great results and have a ton of them cast. What loadings are you using with this boolit? I am going to size a bunch up @ .358 (I doubt the die will do much "sizing") and try the boolit using 8.5 Gr of Unique with Win SPP and try them in my Rossi.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Bob--I have the Lee and RCBS version of the 356402and out of the rifles was running 5.3/231 and 4.7/BE which are essentially the same load at 1260 fps. That load will do 3MOA or less out to 200 yds with either bullet. With 5 grs of Unique out of my K-38 it runs 1-1.5" at 50 yds (950 fps) off the bench. Quite frankly it's one of the most versatile bullets (from an accuracy standpoint) I've used.
    Your load of Unique should move it right along, 1500-1600 maybe.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I am afraid I didn't get the results I hoped for using the 356402. Avg velocity was 1693 with a SD of 18. At 50 yards they were minute of deer I am afraid. Likely a combination of my bad shooting and the load it self. I loaded them in .357 cases and used magnum primers (Win).

I am a stuborn type so I will try your loads.I sized them .358 with the sizing die just hardly touching the boolit. I suspect that might be part of the problem. Thoughts?

I am using the Skinner peep sight with the mid aperture he sells. I am going to order his smallest aperture and see if that helps the target shooting. Interestingly I had no problems hitting an 8" plate at 50 yards so some of the results can be attributed my poor shooting and older eyes. I plan to order up the Steve's Guns FO front sight for the gun as well.

My Rossi does favour the 155 - 158 gr boolits over the heavier 180's so I suspect the lighter boolits should do well in the gun. I haven't slugged the bore and don't look forward to doing that but will as a last resort..

Are you using .357 brass or .38spl?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Using .357 brass but .38 works about as well except I get light throat leading with the .38's. Both of my Rossi's have grooves that are a light .357( like .3568 or 9) and I size .358. I use a receiver peep on the carbine and a Taurus tang on the octagon.

Using .357 brass but .38 works about as well except I get light throat leading with the .38's. Both of my Rossi's have grooves that are a light .357( like .3568 or 9) and I size .358. I use a receiver peep on the carbine and a Taurus tang on the octagon.
    OK well I am going to load up some of your loads and see if I can improve on things. I may have been driving them to fast. I'll keep you informed.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I meant to report back on that LEE 125 RFN.
    I shot it at 40 yards yesterday. 50 was just beyond what I could manage with the current off-center bead and an inch and a half blaze orange dot (a quick shot from a marking-paint spray can).

This is not the bevel base that it appears they changed it to - it's the one that looks just like the 158 RFN when loaded.

I had to seat them back a little and crimp on the sized portion of ahead of the crimp groove. 5.5 grains of W231 and a Win SPP, mixed brass.

At 40 yards, seven of nine shots went into 1 3/4" and two went wide (one high, one low) enough to make it 3". I knew both of those were "out" but no sense in calling flyers when there's no one else there to lie to. THAT was with one upward elevation adjustment between shots six and seven.

Scope base arrived today in the mail. $17 and change shipped. I got it just to have it but I may just buy a cheap pistol scope to do load development and until I decide on my sights.

It's shooting one inch low at the lowest setting at that range. I think I am going to chop the top of the sight to square it off and get rid of the off-center brass bead and then file the horns off the rear sight, plus some to get back into line with the front and recut/deepen the rear notch with square sides.

If that doesn't work, I will have the cheap scope to work up loads while I ponder the sight options. The last Lyman peep sight I bought was $45 and Williams FPs were $25. All are much higher now and Steve's sight and the Skinner make it a tough choice.

No sooner did I finish playing at the approximate range I would expect to use this at, when we saw two coyotes 500 to 550 yards south. Guess the old 'Roberts will still get some action too.

Jeff I have my original back sight which is just a flat sight with a notch cut into it. I'll trade you for the buckhorns if you want. I can mail mind down to you so you have a rear sight before you remove the buckhorns. Just PM me your address and the sight will be on it's way.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Jeff I have my original back sight which is just a flat sight with a notch cut into it. I'll trade you for the buckhorns if you want. I can mail mind down to you so you have a rear sight before you remove the buckhorns. Just PM me your address and the sight will be on it's way.

Take Care

Bob
    Thanks, Bob.
    PM sent....

My Rossi 357 is liking the 357446 over 11.8 grains of H110. I realize not everyone gets good results using this mould, but it's been working in my revolver and lever rifle. It also like bullets at a full .360 diameter too.

Doing more light load testing today or tomorrow, retesting the 200 SWC with H110 too as the OAL seems to really matter.

The 358-477 150 SWC didn't work so well with a H110, trying it with a fast powder next.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    My Rossi 357 is liking the 357446 over 11.8 grains of H110. I realize not everyone gets good results using this mould, but it's been working in my revolver and lever rifle. It also like bullets at a full .360 diameter too.

Doing more light load testing today or tomorrow, retesting the 200 SWC with H110 too as the OAL seems to really matter.

The 358-477 150 SWC didn't work so well with a H110, trying it with a fast powder next.
    I'm all ears.
    Let us know what you get with that 200 SWC.
    Which one is that anyway?
    I shot some 358429 (170 SWC) over ?? grains of Unique in .38 Special cases and that went well. Now, I can't find the card I wrote the load data on.

The 358-200-SWC from NOE works over 3.5 grains of 700X. You can almost substitute 3.5 of Bullseye or HP-38, then tweak the charge a bit if needed. I crimped in the groove and didn't measure OAL.

The 358-429 from Lyman at 1.620 OAL, crimped onto the front band, over 11.8 of H110, or 3.2 of 700X, or 3.5 of 700X all work well.

The 358-477 from Lyman loaded long at 1.620 OAL over 3.5 grains of 700X shot great. It may work just as well at 1.610 or 1.600 but they haven't been tested yet.

The 357-446 works well with 11.8 grains of H110, from a prior post.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 03-27-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

357--What range are you testing these bullets at?? Is your Rossi 92 a newer Braz Tech with the 30" twist?

357--What range are you testing these bullets at?? Is your Rossi 92 a newer Braz Tech with the 30" twist?
    I'm limited to 25 yards, which is a pain. It's a newer Braz Tech w/30" twist.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

I would think it is going to be very difficult to stabilize a 200 gr boolit with the 1 - 30 twist in our Rossi rifles at longer ranges. I know mine is struggling with the Lyman 428429 at 170 grains. I can't imagine it being any better with a longer heavier boolit, but maybe.

Take Care

Bob

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast