• 158 RNFP

181 74.79%
  • 158 SWC GC

46 19.01%
  • 140 SWC

15 6.20%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best LEE mold for ROSSI '92 .357mag

I'd recommend the 158 RNFP. It's very accurate below 1,200 fps and easy to cast. With a plain base gas check it's very accurate above 1,200 fps. It's what I use for all of my 38-special and 357-magnum shooting. The 140grain SWC is very hard to cast and doesn't size down well. The lube grooves are really narrow and tend to deform during sizing. When I've cast them I use a 0.360 diameter sizing die, which limits the appeal of this bullet.

Boolit Master
    Of the three in the poll, I voted for the RNFP with no hesitation.

On the other hand, for most shooting, I have gone with lighter to save lead. I have used both the Lee 120 TC and the 125 RNFP.

The 120 TC drops very easy and is overall great, except that it tends to be on the small side for diameter.

The 125 does not drop as smooth as most. It tends to hang up with the deep lube grooves. But it shoots great.

Boolit Master
    158 RNFP gets my vote. I have the 158 SWC and can tell you it does not feed that well without some mods to the gun. If you want to save on lead just cast small round balls and make mouse farts. But they will need to be fed one at a time.

Boolit Master
    158grwnfp shoots great with 7 gr of true blue in my trapper with out any leading .

Wow, I made this thread a long time ago.

I ended up with all 3 molds, and like the 158RNFP best and the 140gr least.

My favortite bullet for this lever action is the MBC 140 Zinger.

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...y=10&keywords=

someday, I'll find a similar mold

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Derek45 feel out the group and see if you can get a group buy going on a lee. Its cheap simple. (The $175.00 setup and tooling fees will be waived on orders of 30 pieces or more.) You need to get 30 guys together. You just need to do the leg work on the shipping them out to each one of the guys. Depends on how bad you want this mould.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Looks like it will run 100 bucks with handles.

Boolit Master

That is essentially the Lee 125 RF ( same dimensions)which casts approx. 131 grs from WW+2% tin. Much cheaper to buy the Lee 6 cav.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I didn't see my choice in the poll so here it is,
    I vote for the Lee 180 gr RF six cavity mold, it's not in their catalog but I got it in a group buy a few years ago. I got it for my 357 Maxi but have been shooting it in my 357 Mag also and it is very accurate in my 6 inch Ruger GP 100 Talo Edition and Uberti Baby Rolling Block.

Steve...........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Man
    The Rossi 92 is famous for its slow twist rate of 1:30. If you plug this into the calculators online (http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/), you'll find that you need a pretty short bullet going at a decent clip. **Don't rely on weight as a proxy for the length of the bullet.** For example, the differences in the length of the four Lee molds casting 158 grains makes a big difference in stability at 357 carbine velocities! The clear winner among those four designs is the 358-158-RF, which also had good reviews from a lot of people. That design maximizes weight in a length that the Rossi can easily stabilize at the velocity I was looking for (1800+).

Powder coating has been a revelation to me, and to many others, and allows me to hit those velocities easily. I'm casting in a pretty soft allow. A 3B Pencil will not scratch it, but a 2B Pencil will...so let's call it 10.5 BHN. They drop nice and fat from the Lee mold at .360 and 157-158 grains. I shake and bake powder coat with a TGIC free powder (Powder by The Pound Steel Blue RAL 5011-S) and stand the bullets up to cook. I then size them with a .360 Lee die (which started life as a .359 die before I used the sand paper, dowel and drill trick). Using H110 I get these up to 1830fps and around 2 MOA.

Just recently I started gas checking these with plain based sized aluminum gas checks from Sage Outdoors (~$30 shipped for 1000). They don't "click" in like a proper gas check on a proper gas checked bullet design - but a friendly tap with a soft mallet squares them up in the check just fine. I then push them through the .360 Lee sizing die base first. This works well with this bullet design's flat nose. You'd need the appropriate nose bushing for any other design. Or you might try the collet crimp die trick to seat them...because it does not work pushing them through the die nose first: you end up with a flange of aluminum on the circumference of the base. After the gas check is affixed, I shake and bake with the powder coat as narrated above and then resize to .360 nose first. I push these up to 1880 fps again with H110. Sub 2 MOA out of the Rossi 92 with a Steve's Gunz bolt mounted peep.

Pastor Curtis

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    I like it, a lot........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I have been having fun with the Lee 105 grain swc boolit. I powder coat them and push them at 1200 fps out of my 5" model 27. If I had a Rossi .357 I would definitely try some of those. What kind of groove diameter do those Rossis have?

Boolit Master
    The RCBS 140 grain cowboy bullet should work well.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I just started working on my R92 again and as usual I found out the hard way COAL is king for this rifle. I know this is getting off the original post but looking at the following molds. My requirements would be in the 150gr weight, GC, and traditional lube groove. I would want to push these hard for hunting purposes and prefer to use the .357 mag brass.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...1-5-cavity-gc/
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-182-wfn-u2/

Moderator Emeritus

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...n-4-cavity-pb/
    DWDan, this one does OK when spanked out of my 92.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...n-4-cavity-pb/
    DWDan, this one does OK when spanked out of my 92.
    MT,
    Can you share what powder? Also do you know fps? Doesn't look like that has a GC option. I find that strange...but still looking at and comparing. THANKS!

Moderator Emeritus

I used data for a 158 gr SWC as it has more internal case capacity than that when loaded. Powder is WC820 surplus from the early 00's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

LEE 125 ( and SNS 130gr in red) works really well

LEE 158 RNFP

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=derek45;5107441]LEE 125 ( and SNS 130gr in red) works really well

Can't go wrong with a SNS slug! Of course I am partial they are right down the road from me.
    My main concern with anything above 130gr is can I push them fast enough out of the Rossi to get decent accuracy at 100yds?