181 74.79%
  • 158 SWC GC

46 19.01%
  • 140 SWC

15 6.20%
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best LEE mold for ROSSI '92 .357mag

Best LEE mold for ROSSI '92 .357mag

I'm waiting on UPS to deliver my 16" ROSSI .357mag.

I like LEE 6 cavity molds.

I'm leaning toward the 158 RNFP, but interested to hear which ones you guy like.

I want the run to run smoothly

Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 358-158-RF (358 Diameter) 158 Grain Flat Nose

Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold C358-158-SWC (358 Diameter) 158 Grain Semi-Wadcutter Gas Check

Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 358-140-SWC 38 Special, (358 Diameter) 140 Grain Semi-Wadcutter

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Bub
    I lean towards the rn fp because it is not a gc. But my Marlin likes both. greg

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by greg gremlin View Post
    I lean towards the rn fp because it is not a gc. But my Marlin likes both. greg
    Ditto.

I have not shot any of these in mine yet, but woud personally go for the 158 RNFP and the 140. I PREFER to not use GCs if I don't have to and usually don't have to, but sometimes.....

If forced to pick between the 158 RNFP and the 140 SWC, my personal choice would be the 140 for the square shoulder and I am finding that this nose profile cycles through mine well.

I do like the 158 SWC generally though for its shape and weight and has shot well in any revolver I have used it in.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Don't care for any of the Lee moulds for many reasons. You should look at the RCBS 38-158-cm. They are only two cavity but you could buy two if funds are not a problem. The best to do is go to the accurate moulds site. He is a true craftsman in the trade. He will make you a three cavity mould in brass for $119 to your door. He also makes moulds from steel and aluminum. Visit his site as you can have a custom mould for a little more than a production type.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Part of it depends on the velocity you want to run at. I have 2 Rossi's in .357, both will shoot the RNFP into 1-2" 50 yd groups @ 1150 fps (my normal .38 spl pistol load) and they won't stay on a 2'X4' target backer at 100 yds! The ones that do hit the backer are usually tumbling. The 30" twist has a hand in this IMO. I have not worked at higher velocities because I use the Lyman Keith for my magnum loads and it does well in the 1500-1600 fps range at 100-200 yds. The Lee 158 TL SWC does well in the lower velocity ranges and is very accurate to 200 yds. It all depends where you want to play, 50 yds and under I don't think it matters much. The most accurate long range boolit to date out of both my Rossi's has been the RCBS 9MM 124 gr CN followed VERY closely by the Lee 120 TC. Both will hold very close to 3 MOA out to 200 yds. If RNFP's are what float your boat I'd be more inclined to do the 125 gr. version.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Interesting.

I have several LEE molds, and they are all fine and dandy

I like the 6 cavity, because they make a big pile of bullets in a short amount of time
    .....and time is valuable

I'll probably use Jacketed for my hotter 100yrd + loads ( blasphemy, I know )

Surprised to hear the 158 RNFP tumble at 100.....glad I posted this question before I ordered this mold.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Part of it depends on the velocity you want to run at. I have 2 Rossi's in .357, both will shoot the RNFP into 1-2" 50 yd groups @ 1150 fps (my normal .38 spl pistol load) and they won't stay on a 2'X4' target backer at 100 yds! The ones that do hit the backer are usually tumbling. The 30" twist has a hand in this IMO. I have not worked at higher velocities because I use the Lyman Keith for my magnum loads and it does well in the 1500-1600 fps range at 100-200 yds. The Lee 158 TL SWC does well in the lower velocity ranges and is very accurate to 200 yds. It all depends where you want to play, 50 yds and under I don't think it matters much. The most accurate long range boolit to date out of both my Rossi's has been the RCBS 9MM 124 gr CN followed VERY closely by the Lee 120 TC. Both will hold very close to 3 MOA out to 200 yds. If RNFP's are what float your boat I'd be more inclined to do the 125 gr. version.
    Wish I would have read this earlier as I just ordered a 158 RNFP for my Rossi. Whiel I do not plan on making long shots with it, it is fun to plink at that range. Will have to try it or the 150 RN I have. Planned on a slightly hotter load.

DP

Just started testing various moulds in a new Rossi M92. In revolvers though the Lee 158 TL is their best bullet and the only one of theirs I could vote for, except it's not on the list.

So far the 358-429 and 360-200-SWC are shooting great in the Rossi. 2 more moulds to try in it to zero in on a favorite.

A good SWC from one of the mold makers here, or even another manufacturer might be better.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post
    Just started testing various moulds in a new Rossi M92. In revolvers though the Lee 158 TL is their best bullet and the only one of theirs I could vote for, except it's not on the list.

So far the 358-429 and 360-200-SWC are shooting great in the Rossi. 2 more moulds to try in it to zero in on a favorite.

A good SWC from one of the mold makers here, or even another manufacturer might be better.
    Which LEE 158 ? ( TL = tumble lube? ) ....which one, SWC, or RN ?

does your Rossi function well with the 358-429 ?

Seems like it's similar to the LEE 158 SWC

I have a bunch of these loaded up, hope they feed OK....

MBC 140gr.
    http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...y=10&keywords=

Last edited by derek45; 02-26-2011 at 09:00 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Have you tried .357mag cases and upped the velocity? 1150fps out of the rifle isn't real quick. You might get better performance running those boolits hotter.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

derek45: Sorry, the 158 SWC TL is a great bullet and the one I meant. The 358-429 feeds just fine so far, will try some more tomorrow and give an update.

The one bullet left I want to try is the BRP 158 SWC Hornady clone. It's time to buy it, anyone else try it?
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Have you tried .357mag cases and upped the velocity? 1150fps out of the rifle isn't real quick. You might get better performance running those boolits hotter.

Take Care

Bob
    Bob--The RNFP may very well shoot at a higher velocity but 358429 does very well in that regime. I run it over 15 grs of wc820 for about 1600FPS+ and at 100 yds 7 or 8 out of 10 will be inside 3-4" with a couple zingers out to about 5". I run at 1150 for 2 reasons, comfort mainly and minimal wind drift along with economy, I shoot a lot at steel swingers. Using 5 grs of Unique,20-28, 231 or about 4.5 of Bullseye makes for some pretty inexpensive shooting, about the same as a .22 Actually 1150 happens to be what max std pressure .38 spls. run out of rifles. I load for a K38 at 900 fps with a 158 for Hunters Pistol silhouette which I shoot during the summer. BTW the Lee 158RNFP out of my 94 Winnie (16" twist) shoots great at 100yds.
    I have had such great luck with the TL 158 SWC that I'm loading a lot of that lately. It's very accurate out of both Rossi's and also the K38 and with a 6 cav mold and Recluses lube I can make a lot of bullets fast and easy. It shoots very well in the 94 also.
    If the Lee rnfp was all I had I of course would bump up the velocity to try and make it shoot but with 3 other bullets that shoot very well in the 1100-1200 fps range in 3 rifles and 2 pistols it seems like I should just enjoy my abundance of good fortune and shoot them.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357shooter View Post

The one bullet left I want to try is the BRP 158 SWC Hornady clone. It's time to buy it, anyone else try it?
    I did last summer. Crabo sent me a couple hundred to try and they shot very well, a solid 3 MOA out of my 24" octagon. I shot mostly 5.3/231 again around 1100 fps but just before I ran out I tried a few groups with 4.5/BE( same velocity) and that showed a little more promise. My impression was that it was slightly better than the Lee TLSWC. They shot the best with Lee TL+ mica VS straight TL, at the time I was not using Recluse's 45-45-10 so I can't speak to that.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine likes the 158 RNFP
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

I did last summer. Crabo sent me a couple hundred to try and they shot very well, a solid 3 MOA out of my 24" octagon. I shot mostly 5.3/231 again around 1100 fps but just before I ran out I tried a few groups with 4.5/BE( same velocity) and that showed a little more promise. My impression was that it was slightly better than the Lee TLSWC. They shot the best with Lee TL+ mica VS straight TL, at the time I was not using Recluse's 45-45-10 so I can't speak to that.
    Thanks for the info. That's very helpful.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Ran a bunch of 358-429 with 357 brass through the Rossi today, they fed and shot great. The 200-SWC shot just as good, fed almost as well.

Not sure how the heavy bullet does at a distance, but it does shoot great at 25 yards (the limit at my indoor range).
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

So far, the one I enjoy plinking with the most is the Lee 38 125. The newer version seems to be a RNFP kind of like the 158 gr only shorter below the grease groove. This summer I'll try the 158 RNFP. I view this gun as a plinker/rodent killer over shorter distances. I've got other leverguns for bigger stuff at greater distances. You've got me wondering though, about 100 yd shooting. I've only zeroed my Rossi for 50 yd with the boolit I mentioned thus far, and mostly shoot 38 special loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jlchucker View Post
    So far, the one I enjoy plinking with the most is the Lee 38 125. The newer version seems to be a RNFP kind of like the 158 gr only shorter below the grease groove.........
    I loaded ten of these this afternoon.
    It seems I will be using them up in my SP101 though, because they will NOT cycle through my Rossi. The cartridge is presented at such an angle that the bullet clears the top edge of the chamber, but the bottom hangs up. Almost seems like the cuts in the cartridge guides are too far forward - or that they were made specifically for the .38 Special. Rim doesn't get to the cut-outs before everything binds up.

I loaded some 158 RNs (old Lyman mold) and they slide through slicker'n snot.
    Ran out of daylight though, trying to get the first few 125s out of the gun.

Boolit Master

For my Marlin 1894, I use heavier bullets than are really not meant for light weight revolvers. I use a Lyman 214gr SWC GC mold or a Ranch Dog TLC359-190-RF. I do use the Lyman bullets in my 6" L Frame, slightly slower speed than most 357 Mags, but some really knock down power. In my 340PD, I think those bullets would probably numb me up for a while.

I use both of these bullets in my 357 MAX T/C Contenders as well as my Marlin 1894. I was impressed with the Ranch Dogs bullet design, that I orginally ordered the 2 C mold and last year I ordered the 6C mold. Plus I use them in Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.

On my farm, the Ground Hogs all fear Ranch Dog bullets, so that should tell how good Ranch Dog's Custom Lee molds are.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

The big heavy bullets shoot nice, very accurate too. The 200 SWC works well in a Taurus 66 6 inch revolver, but I'm using mid-light loads for it.

Trying one in the 340PD might cause serious damage to the shooter!
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast