MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Casting pure lead directly into 22lr for 224 jacketed?

Boolit Buddy

Casting pure lead directly into 22lr for 224 jacketed?

Please tell if this is or isn't a possibility:

Cast pure lead straight into de-rimmed, sized 22lr brass and fill it up as if it were a cup, then mash it upwards into a tip swaging die. Seems if you had the depth right, it should take the form you wanted, or if you had too much lead in the cup and a leak hole, extra lead would get vented out...? You'd only need one uberexpensive mashing die and one modified affordable Lee 224 sizing die...?

I saw someone that had a youtube video about placing the cups right into a specialty mold for making 223 projectiles that got me thinking about this...

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I don't see why not, except for the difficulty in doing so without it going all over the place.. I'm sure there are likely machines that do this but not one I can afford.

Boolit Master
    You would need to have the de-rimed case almost to the perfect (.224) diameter, probably just under to begin with. The 22 point forming dies don't take much pressure to form a bullet so the bullet won't expand very much. If you could make the die like a closed end die, then you could put pressure on it and expand the bullet, but you need a way to push the bullet back out.

Moderator Emeritus

Biggest problem I can see with this approach might be getting a uniform weight core as different cases might hold slightly different amounts of lead. If you don't mind weighing the finished products and sorting, I can't see why this couldn't be done.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Mold
    Here is the youtube you might be referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAU5...eature=related

Vendor Sponsor

I tried this approach with the 44 cals from 40 S&W brass. I tried dipping the case and pouring the lead into the case. I could not keep the weight variation within 10 grains as I remember.

Maybe a mold of sorts could be made to hold the case with a spure cutter of sorts over the top to control the amount of lead for best chance at uniform weights but then you are stuck with a %100 lead filled jacket which would make a SP type bullet. To make a mold like this would require you to drill a hole and if you have to bore a hole it might as well be in a custom core mold to fit the case shouldn't it? Dealing with hot moltent lead in an attempt to fill such a small case seems like a bit of a challenge to me but then agian I have been known to say anything is possible. Me? I would drill holes in the back side of a standard lee mold instead.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ccook23 View Post
    Here is the youtube you might be referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAU5...eature=related
    Yep, that's the one.

I'd love to shoot more 223, but the cost of projectiles (and powder...) is killin' me, now that I can make a thousand rounds of 9mm for next to free.

Boolit Master
    Honestly bulk bullets at less than $100 perK would be more attractive than those bullets in the video.

Hitting a freon tank half the time as proof of performance gives me some serious reservations

Boolit Man
    The shooter was not far from the tank, In a couple instances you could see the smoke from barrel just outside the picture frame.

Boolit Buddy
    That video was just the jumping point for the thought process, not the end goal. My concept combined the 'cast directly into the jacket' concept with the preciseness of swaging.

What if you used a butter knife to 'sprue' off the excess lead off the top of the jacket? Could that get you a more uniform fill? Hold the jacket with a pair of pliers or the like, cast into it, scrape it smooth, and then let it cool (or even water drop it?) -- then swage it in a tip forming die? You could even do a little
    Last edited by CiDirkona; 03-01-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I have done this by melting a measured core in my casting ladle and pouring it into a jacket. The experiment was to see if we could get a bond between core and jacket by fluxing the jacket and pouring the Core. The bullets were then pointed and they were exactly the same size as the bullets that had seated cores. They shot the same and were impossible to locate just as the other bullets were. Final analysis: Waste of time for plinkers.

The issue to make this productive would be to get a uniform cast and I did that by melting a small ingot (one core) and pouring the whole ingot each time. another method would be to have some sort of shutter that would cut off or interrupt the pour at a regular interval, sort of like a powder measure for molten lead.

A different approach would be to do it like they make lead shot. A uniform drip that would give a consistent fill on each jacket. Something like 4 drops and move on to the next jacket.

I can see that there might be issues if your jacket was undersized and your setup relied on the core seating stage to bring the jacket up to .224, but my dies are set up so that the jackets are so close to final size that the core seating doesn't bump them much bigger.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Thor, I am confused as to how your dies make a jacket that is close to finished .224 size. Care to share that with me? Thanks,
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    I assume he has a special de-rimming die that sizes the brass cases that way from the begining.