Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2011 nevada cast bullet shoot may 20-21-22 2011

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    More trees at Winnemucca than Bonneville, for sure. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    To Redneckdan,
    Check the Winnemucca website if you are looking for a place to stay. I am making my reservation at Scott Shady Court this year to try it but have been staying at the Scottish Inn for years on rockhounding forays to the Winnemucca area. Both are less expensive but comfortable and within a couple blocks of Ormacheas Restaurant so you can stagger home after the fine meal on Sunday. For the 2-3 days before the shoot I will be camping in the mountains about 40 miles north in an aspen grove next to a stream while I rockhound and maybe reach out to touch a few coyotes. There are some fine trout streams in the area with campsites in the shade of the cottomwoods but I am expecting fishing to be not so good due to heavy spring runoff then.
    No hunting license required to hunt coyotes and a few other pests in Nevada.

Quilbilly,
    Jane and I have stayed at the Scott Shady Court the last couple years we have been to NCBS and it is an ok place to stay at for the money and will no doubt be there again this year.
    That Paradise Valley isn't a bad place to call in coyotes I have called in many of them over the years I have hunted up there. My favorite animal to hunt since I don't run hounds anymore.
    Redneckdan, There will be plenty of guns and ammo to shoot. Always seems as if I get to haul a few boxes of loaded rounds back home.
    Pat, Chech out some of the past NCBS threads as there is plenty of info on all the differant little shoots that take place . They are mostly decided at the Rools Komittee Meeting and this year at a new eating place will be fun and differant. Also, bring some of those checkmakers you make for us to get ahold of.
    Really looking forwards to seeing all of you again this year and hopefully the global warming won't bother us too much. Just looked outside and have a good 6 inches of the stuff and no end in site for the next day or two. It makes it hard to do any sighting in and making noise when you can't really get off the blacktop without a snowmobile.
    Good casting to you all, Walt and Jane

Super Moderator

.............The only 2 Events that by their nature allows any real 'strategy' is the team events. For the team pistol shoot, your team is trying to be the first to shoot their board in half. Just to be very clear, the objective is to shoot it in half WIDTH WISE and NOT lengthwise (which I think some teams have attempted in the past)

Keep in mind: No speedloaders, no preloaded magazines, no stripper clips.

So for this I offer my observation that the overall best handgun is the swingout cylinder revolver. For maximum damage and effect on the board the SWC or WC do the best. A full WC may slow your reloading however. Now if you have an autoloader with an easy to reload magazine you may prefer that route, as it DOES shuck it's own empties.

Once you can discern the top portion of your board is kind of loosly leaning fore and aft as the boolits impact, try delivering a shot or 2 up high to encourage it's breaking off. That's what stops the clock

Team Rifle is if as usual, shooting clay birds which are suspended on a net the prime requirement is accuracy. Secondly the rifle should be easily reloadable. Most levergun users single load right into the action for each shot rather then trying to fight them into the magazine through the gate. Also you don't need a 416 Rigby, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot one if you want. IIRC one year Mrs BruceB (Karen) shot a 404 Jeffery in the event. Strategy? Shooters on the left start on the left hand targets, and ditto the right hand shooters. Meet in the middle!

If ya wanna shoot BP loads, go ahead. Powderburner did one year in the team pistol event, fielding Colt SSA's. Before too long the team was simply a thick grayish cloud of smoke with legs sticking out the bottom.

Last year Mt Gianni was seen walking around with a Lyman 50 cal muzzle loading percussion pistol. When asked if he was going to be campaigning it in the team pistol shoot he said no, but it WAS available as a loaner.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Most assuredly HELL YEAH I'm coming. I don't miss Christmas--Thanksgiving--or NCBS. Period.

One of the best parts of NCBS is seeing the Onceabull Chariot heading homeward all loaded down with mould rental payments. Resembles one of the barrio gunship/asphalt etchers from East L.A. !QUIOVO!

One of these years, I'll spend a lot more time shooting than B.S.'ing around with all the good folks who attend. Yeah, right.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Most assuredly HELL YEAH I'm coming. I don't miss Christmas--Thanksgiving--or NCBS. Period.

One of the best parts of NCBS is seeing the Onceabull Chariot heading homeward all loaded down with mould rental payments. Resembles one of the barrio gunship/asphalt etchers from East L.A. !QUIOVO!

One of these years, I'll spend a lot more time shooting than B.S.'ing around with all the good folks who attend. Yeah, right.
    You sure now Allen? I'm just double checkn' ...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    You sure now Allen? I'm just double checkn' ...
    I does believe so, as certain-sure as I can be. I even have most of the ammo loaded and ready, already. THAT borders on the miraculous, given the time of year.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Sorry, but I don't have plans to attend this year. $$ are too tight. I'd like to come and bring my wife along, but that creates another hardship, since she watches 5 grandkids every weekday. I took 8 days last year, leaving Mesa on Thursday, staying the night in Vegas, and moving on to Winnemucca on Friday. Monday I headed for Salt Lake to visit a friend and his wife, returning via Vegas on Wednesday and Thursday. When I left home, I was dreading the long drive from Vegas to Winnemucca, but it turned out that I enjoyed it and would like to do it again. There are some places along the way I'd like to stop and take photos. There was also a place in one of the little towns along the road where some guy was selling ammo cans. He had HUNDREDS of them. I could probably load up on them and sell them here at guns shows and make a few $$.

I never asked my wife what last year's trip cost, but I suspect it was in the $2,000 neighborhood, counting food, fuel and lodging. I can't manage that this year unless I hit the lottery. Considering fuel prices, that's probably the ONLY way I'll make it. If I do win, I'll be there.

As for camping, if the weather is anything like last year, be sure to bring your long johns and a down-filled mummy bag for warm sleeping.

Regards, and wishing I could be there,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 03-06-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Hey Stew,
    I enjoyed your company last year so hope you can still make it. $2000 seems a little steep. I am budgeting about $700 and should come home with change but, like last year will be doing a little "cowboy camping" out of my truck except Friday-Sunday nights.
    The Beatty area has some fine places out on some of those mining roads south of town for a dry "cowboy camp" and is lower elevation thus warmer if we have weather like last year.
    I can't imagine having another NCBS in weather like last year. That weather was just plain weird. That warm sleeping bag did come in handy.
    If you come north via Austin and Battle Mountain there is a beautiful campsite (an official BLM camground) about 20 miles south of Battle Mountain called Mill Creek. Its in a wash sheltered from winds next to a trout stream complete with trout under huge cottonwoods. great place for a "cowboy camp".

Boolit Master

Do any of the motels have wireless internet?

Dutch

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Do any of the motels have wireless internet?

Dutch
    The Super 8 on the west side of town (south side of the main drag) does. They had decent room rates last year, too. If you stay there, don't put your electronic "credit card" room key in the same pocket as your cell phone. The phone will erase the info on your key, leaving you locked out of the room.

Too bad they're moving the Friday Rools Committee meeting. Last year it was just across the parking lot from the Super 8, making it easy to stagger back to your room afterward.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 03-09-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Snow,snow,snow. I thought ha,ha, that I might get some loading and shooting in before May But so far I am just wishing for sunshine enough to melt this global warming stuff away enough to get to my range .AHHHHH. May will be here real soon. ......Walt

Hey Walt, ---We are also experiencing the Global Warming----

We are in about in the same shape here, but we are in the costal mountains of CA! We have had a accumulted total of about 40 inches this winter. The most on the ground at one time was 20". I would say on any kind of normal winter our average snow fall is about 2 inches. Gound is almost bare this am, but we have more coming this afternoon and through Thu. Anyway, I am partcially ready.

Hello to Jane. Marlene wants her to shoot with her and will be bringing more Gun Cookies to entice her!

We are looking forward to seeing you, Jane and all the gang!
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Banned

We've been hammered with snow up here. I just hope to be able to get out one of my rifles I've never fired yet and work up a load for Nevada.

reality

Odds are for a least 102 F. one day May 20-21-11..But it's a dry heat...Best plan on taking your own shade to the range...Onceabull

Banned

I hate the heat. I've got one of those 12x12 EZ-up awnings.

On Heaven's Range

test test
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

On Heaven's Range

I didn't even consider the "staggering distance" from restaurant to residence! Oh well, I guess the streets will be littered with those who can't make it home to bed...

The Friday night festivities (Rools Kommittee) will be held at "Chihuahua's", a new place literally in the shadow of the I-80 overpass. It has a pleasant private room off the main public areas, and we have a reservation for that rom. I've had several very pleasant meals in the place, so I trust everyone will enoy it.

Swede Nelson of Night Owl Enterprises(often just "NOE" here on our Board) has again offered two gift certificates as prizes for NCBS. I believe that last year they were presented for the smallest rifle groups fired with iron sights and scope, but I might be in error on that. Rools Kommittee will decide. These certificates allow each winner a mould of his choice from NOE.

Let me emphasize this point: WITHOUT BEING ASKED, Swede sent me his gracious Private Message , offering to do this for us. Not only does NOE work with the shooters here to deliver moulds that acually are correctly-dimensioned and VERY high quality, but they also support our shooting activities with actions such as this donation (AND last year's).

I gently suggest that, if anyone needs a new mould, NOE should be VERY high on the list of potential suppliers.

Thank you, Mr. Nelson.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Stakes

With the "goodies"being put up by NOE,and NvWalt bringing some metal silhouettes,let me first to propose a(and the first) NCBS lever action silhouette Match..some fine points for the Rools committee to consider-- Offhand,or any position sans bench, ??-- 200 yds/iron sights ; 300 Yds any sights ?? ...targets:chicken,pig,turkey,ram,Whatever Walt has ?????? offers some Material for the everlasting debate twixt the Win 88 buffs, the Sav.99 fanatics,& the Sako Finwolfers... Onceabull
    Last edited by onceabull; 03-22-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: to make it better

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I believe that last year they were presented for the smallest rifle groups fired with iron sights and scope, but I might be in error on that.
    Yep, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    With the "goodies"being put up by NOE,and NvWalt bringing some metal silhouettes,let me first to propose a(and the first) NCBS lever action silhouette Match..some fine points for the Rools committee to consider
    I think that is a great idea, FWIW.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast