MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors and smelting...

Neighbors and smelting...

Anybody ever have any issues with neighbors when it comes to smelting/casting? I'm not well liked in my neighborhood as it is, and every time I'm out in the driveway smelting they walk by gawking at me. Maybe they think I am cooking meth or something...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Grand Master

I have no problem, maybe because I smelt and cast on the back porch rather than in front of the house.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Real lucky here we all get along real well and know if one needs help all they have to do is ask. But smelting in a area where you not in plane few may be a better ideal.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I have some pretty good neighbors but when I smelted in the driveway I got some looks... So in order to keep the snoops at bay I smelted between the garage and house. Try to do it when the wind is in your favor and keep the flux lit. Works pretty good for me until I tried to smelt solder drippings in town..that is a no go. Good luck.

Yeah, I'll end up moving the operation out back once things warm up. I've been smelting out in the driveway because I have the protection of the garage from the never-ending wind here. But yeah, I think I may need to operate a little more discretely before I get some **** from the homeowners association...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Bub
    This is funny, because I spent the entire day turning two 5 gallon buckets into ingots in my suburban driveway today just in front of the garage. It's the only place on my property that's not covered in 2 feet of snow. My neighbors are good, and when one caught me casting boolits a few weeks ago, he showed up with lead to add to my collection! Today a few ladies walking their dogs waved and stared real hard. One asked me if I were having a BBQ. I said "not quite" and she smiled and kept on walking. The police didn't come.

Hey, at least I wasn't in the front with my infamous chainsaw again!

Boolit Buddy
    One benefit of living in the country is the smelting smells are not as bad as the "other odoriferous" smells. Of course the other benefit is the neighbors are far enough away they generally do not pay attention to what you are doing.

Boolit Master

I smelt early in the morning, in the backyard, when it's windy. My neighbors aren't early risers and once called the fire department when I fired up my smoker. Man, I miss Texas!

I'm so far out in the sticks my neighbors can barely hear the 444, much less smell the smelt...
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    I'm so far out in the sticks my neighbors can barely hear the 444, much less smell the smelt...
    I've only got two more years 'til I retire from the military and be a civilian again! I can't wait until the day I can choose where I live. I am already looking...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Mold
    My neighbors already think I'm nuts so smelting isn't anything out the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I have no problem, maybe because I smelt and cast on the back porch rather than in front of the house.
    Yeah, me too, & I try to do it mid day during the week when most are at work. I just don't need the hassles.

I am lucky enough to be able to di it any time I get the urge, and fortunate in that I have an enclosed courtyard with a covered areawhere I used to park my motorcycles. Complete privacy ensured and the closest house is far enough away that the smells are irrelevant.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master

I smelt during the very cold mornings on the weekends. As soon as the sun's up Sat. morning I go out and melt my lead in the driveway where the neighbors can't see. It's worked so far. I won't be melting any scrap in the warm months when people have windows open. I wouldn't like that myself.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Bub
    So happens, I usually smelt in the back yard but, lately "I had to" move to the front per SWMBO's orders. One of the houses on our street just went up for sale and the prospects were not to my wife's nor anybody else's liking so the order came from high above, "take the dogs, smelting, and all the other gun related operations to the front of the house, make much noise and call your buddies to join you" she even brought few cases of beverages just to make everybody feel comfortable. The new buyers came with the bank inspector,,, and left, there was about 20-30 guys, bikes, old cars, dogs and bbq's etc parked all over the street, my other neighbors even joined us in the afternoons, this lasted about two weeks. Needless to say, the house is now sold to a couple who didn't mind, but actually came and introduced themselves to everybody, I think we'll get along just fine...... and I can go back to where I usually do my stuff.

Boolit Master

I do my smelting behind the house and mostly after dark. I'm sure at least some of my neighbors think I'm nuts, but what the heck - this is Texas and I really could not care less.

That said, I do it that way to avoid unnecessary hassles or attention.

GrumpyFinn,
    we are about to have a change of neighbours ourselves and it can make one a bit anxious wondering who will buy into "our" street - road - area.
    We are in the semi rural end of a small country town (about 500 families) and usually there is next to no traffic, and no noise from the neighbours and has been that way for many years, although nearly 20years ago there was one lot that had a habbit of loud music but fortunately that was only for a couple of months before they mooved on.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFinn View Post
    So happens, I usually smelt in the back yard but, lately "I had to" move to the front per SWMBO's orders. One of the houses on our street just went up for sale and the prospects were not to my wife's nor anybody else's liking so the order came from high above, "take the dogs, smelting, and all the other gun related operations to the front of the house, make much noise and call your buddies to join you" she even brought few cases of beverages just to make everybody feel comfortable. The new buyers came with the bank inspector,,, and left, there was about 20-30 guys, bikes, old cars, dogs and bbq's etc parked all over the street, my other neighbors even joined us in the afternoons, this lasted about two weeks. Needless to say, the house is now sold to a couple who didn't mind, but actually came and introduced themselves to everybody, I think we'll get along just fine...... and I can go back to where I usually do my stuff.
    That is a great way to pre-screen the new neighbors.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Buddy
    first I want to say the closest I have come to casting so far has been colecting lead. But I've always thought it was best to smelt in the summer because of the whole ice/snow/water dilemma, but after reading this thread I see many of you are smelting/casting in such conditions. Should I start smelting now as well?

PS didnt mean to hijack your thread.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    first I want to say the closest I have come to casting so far has been colecting lead. But I've always thought it was best to smelt in the summer because of the whole ice/snow/water dilemma, but after reading this thread I see many of you are smelting/casting in such conditions. Should I start smelting now as well?

PS didnt mean to hijack your thread.
    No problem with the "hijack"! I'd rather stand over a hot pot of lead on a blazing fryer in the winter than in the summer. I hate the heat in the summer as it is! But yes, you do want to be careful of the possibility of water. I just smelt on days w/ clear skies and no water dripping over my smelting area.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10