Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546

Thread: Homemade?

this guy sells a tool for lee collets:

https://www.suppressortools.com/prod...a-40c653878087

he also sells a ton of other firearm/suppressor tools.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post

I looked at his offering, but I wasn't impressed. He calls his pin wrench "a VERY serious tool". Bit of an understatement. A sledgehammer to swat a fly. It's built in multiple steps of different materials, and looks rather fat and cumbersome to use. It blocks the view of the collar as you're engaging it. A flat tool makes it much easier to see and line up with the teeth of the collar. Plus, it can be punched out of flat stock in one quick operation, in a fraction the time it takes to mould that "carbon microfiber" around those shiny little pins. Of the three, BC17A's tool is by far the best. Not only does it have slim design and simplicity, but it engages multiple teeth at the same time, which spreads the load and makes a stronger connection. If I needed a tool for Lee dies, I'd much sooner spend the money on his. Simpler is always better if it does the job.

All that being said, my solution for the Lee dies I have was simply to replace the collars with old hex nuts, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this tool do? I checked out the site and don't see any mention of its use.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what does this tool do? I checked out the site and don't see any mention of its use.
    It does more or less the same thing you see this one do, turn the big spline-drive lock rings on the newer Lee dies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrench.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	300829

Other manufacturers use knurled lock rings with some sort of clamping screw arrangement, or (the best system) simple old-fashioned six-sided lock rings (lock nuts), adjustable by any suitable wrench of the right size, or adjustable wrench, or big slip-joint pliers, or a thumb and index finger, if you're Arnold....
    Last edited by asdf; 05-31-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
    Finally got around to making a wrench for the new Lee die locknuts. Don't know what Lee was thinking when they made that cheezy short plastic wrench but even hand tight the nuts usually need more oomph.
    In all the discussion, we never did ask BC17A: How did you make your excellent wrench, and what material?

I made a wrench a couple years ago for the new lock rings, and it works quite well.

Name:	20220601_094418.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	300858
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    It does more or less the same thing you see this one do, turn the big spline-drive lock rings on the newer Lee dies:

Name:	wrench.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	300829

Other manufacturers use knurled lock rings with some sort of clamping screw arrangement, or (the best system) simple old-fashioned six-sided lock rings (lock nuts), adjustable by any suitable wrench of the right size, or adjustable wrench, or big slip-joint pliers, or a thumb and index finger, if you're Arnold....
    Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I never knew I needed anything more than my hands to tighten it up. Maybe that is why I'm not getting super incredible accuracy??

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for clearing that up! I guess I never knew I needed anything more than my hands to tighten it up. Maybe that is why I'm not getting super incredible accuracy??
    Um, yes.....yes, of course! That is undoubtedly the reason......the lock rings....sure....
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

Boolit Bub
    Um, yes....yes, of course! That's undoubtedly the reason....the lock rings....sure....
    Personally, I'd rather learn from other peoples' mistakes.

Boolit Mold
    There are some genius folks on this forum.

Boolit Mold
    Finally, started building some new benches for the reloading room. Mostly reclaimed wood from a pole barn build a buddy had. Lots of 2 x 6's. Nice 45" tall standing benches.

Name:	Bench.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	312684

Chuck S.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by welderboy44 View Post
    There are some genius folks on this forum.
    That is the understatement of the year!!! Great site with LOTS of knowledge.

Boolit Mold
    I am new to reloading and just happy when I made a block to hold my press onto my work bench and make good functioning ammo. The capability and ingenuity shown here is inspiring.

Boolit Master

Lee Die Ring Wrench

A wrench to tighten the newest Lee die lock rings, narrow enough to use on the new 6 pack press, for sale at Lowes:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Take a lock ring with you to Lowes to check the fit...
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-07-2023 at 07:10 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Safe Pistol Rack

DIY pistol rack for safe.
    Made of scrap siding and Peel and Stick carpeting from Walleyworld.
    Cubbies under each gun is for 2nd mag.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2ndRack.jpg  
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Bub
    Hornady LNL stand for an RCBS Measure. Uses the RCBS footprint and thumbscrews into threaded inserts.
    Have to buy the LNL conversion kit. 1 3/16 boring bit (Irwin bit will do) . Had to open the hole up a bit with a 1" drum sander.

Boolit Mold
    For the .45 family of rimmed cartridge, go to your local hardware emporiam and purchase a plastic 2ft by 4ft suspended ceiling grating. the squares are 5/8in on a side. !0 squares on a side is 6 1/2 inches. This is just right for arranging cases or bullets. The stuff is cheap, about $20.00 and cuts easily. Makes those pan lubing setup neat and tidy. Hang cases for case lube spraying.

Don't know how this thread got past me, but my Big Claim to Fame is this.

Available in Regular 7/-14 threaded top plate and LNL Version using eh Hornady LNL Quick Change Die System.

Available at www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   100464274.JPG   100464269.JPG   100464267.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546