WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pouring Ingots

Boolit Bub

Pouring Ingots

I've finally found a couple of sources for wheel weights. Two are free and one I pay scrap prices for. I've got a small Lyman melting pot but I was thinking about melting the lead in a cast iron skillet over a fire and pouring ingots that way. Is this okay? What safety issues should I be concerned with?

Thanks,

Paul

Banned

A skillet full 'o lead will be quite unmanageable, even with both hands on the handle. Get a cheap dutch oven and dollar store souple ladle.

frankenfab is right.

Get a cast iron dutch oven and dedicate it to lead. Go get you some cheap stainless steel utensils. I got a set from bed bath and beyond for around 4 or 5 dollars 2 years ago. Came with a ladle, solid spoon, slotted spoon and a spatula. Best investment yet.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Hello Paul an welcome to the legal addiction.
    You don't want to smelt WW in the same pot as you cast bullets with. If you cant find a cheap cast iron pot in secondhand stores. Lee makes a small cast pot Good for smelting. Very small but it will work. Find some old wax candles or sawdust to use to clean the melted WW. You will also have some sort of mold to cast into re-usable ingots.
    This is only the tip of the casting iceberg.
    Kevin

Boolit Master
    Wal-Mart has Lodge brand cast iron 5 quart pots under $40.00
    Lodge is good quality American made stuff.
    Well at least the company is in America. Who knows where their stuff is actually made
    but it is good stuff.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. I've got an old dutch oven so I'm good in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Hello Paul an welcome to the legal addiction.
    You don't want to smelt WW in the same pot as you cast bullets with. If you cant find a cheap cast iron pot in secondhand stores. Lee makes a small cast pot Good for smelting. Very small but it will work. Find some old wax candles or sawdust to use to clean the melted WW. You will also have some sort of mold to cast into re-usable ingots.
    This is only the tip of the casting iceberg.
    Kevin
    Wax candles or sawdust to clean with? How does this work?

I have one ingot mold that will make 4 ingots. How should I clean it? How long should the ingots set up before I dump them out?

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=libertyman777; I've got an old dutch oven so I'm good in that regard.

Please check your old dutch oven out.
    Don't take granny's Griswald or some worth while oven for a lead smelter.
    Some of that old cast is worth some jingle.

I got mine at Commins tool sale for $10.00 ,I think Harbor Freight has the same thing.

Boolit Master

I got a dutch over called a Tex-Sport for around $20.00 from our local Farm & Ranch store called Attwoods. I think its made in China and it works fine. You might also look for a soup ladle and slotted spoon at you local thrift store, mine cost $0.50 each.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a cast iron skillet to cast ingots in
    been using it for ever
    I just clamp a set of vise grips on the handle
    and......... away we go !
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

If the ingot mould has large loose rust flakes just brush then out, other than that just turn it up side down and dump out any loose debris. A rusty surface will not be a problem.
    When you pour the ingots you will be able to see them change from liquid to solid
    Just let them cool a few minutes more and dump them.
    If dumped to soon they will break, look ugly and be tough to stack, but really no loss as the peices will still fit in your casting pot.
    The wax candles or saw dust is a flux. Most any thing that provides carbon will help seperate oxides and dross from the lead. Most people use what they have and can stand to smell burning.
    Some times when the lead is real hot the smoke from the flux will ignite, you can light the smoke to make it burn cleaner, but do stand back.
    I prefer dry saw dust, some use used motor oil. Put your flux in the pot of moulten lead stir, and skim the crud off the top to expose the beautiful silver alloy.
    The crud, or dross will be hot and should be dumped in a metal container to avoid starting a fire. You do not want to keep the dross around.
    Be sure to wear clothes that cover all your skin and will not melt. Leather, cotton. and wool are good choices.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    Paul you can use old muffin tins or pans for ingot molds. The nastier the better. The burned on mess and rust helps them to release easier. They sell for $.50-1 each. Muffin ingots fit in most casting pots.
    Mind your temp when you melt your WW so you don't end up with the dreaded ZINC in your ingots.
    Fluxing is nothing more then adding a source of carbon to your melt.

A search of this site and lasc.us will educate alloy temp and fluxing.

Good Luck.

5000 feet high in the fragrant pines of central Arizona
    I'm all for saving cash, but after getting by with muffin tins and other substitutes, I finally broke down and got two used RCBS ingot molds for about $30 on e-bay.

Wish I would have done it from the start. It was money well spent.
    “I have strong feelings about gun control. If there’s a gun around, I want to be controlling it.”

Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by RollerCam View Post
    I'm all for saving cash, but after getting by with muffin tins and other substitutes, I finally broke down and got two used RCBS ingot molds for about $30 on e-bay.

there are cheaper ways to get ingot moulds and smelting pot I make my own they are made out of angle and will drop the ingot every time I have had lyman RCBS sayko lee ingot moulds got a bunch of them and would rather use my homemade ones because I do not have to beat on them to get the ingot out just flip them over and the ingot just falls out and if I need more I just make them SMELTING POTS if you know what you are doing the best one I have ever used is made out of a 20lb propane tank ( DO NOT CUT A TANK OPEN IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT SAFELY I WENT TO SCHOOL TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS )pm me if anyone need some D Crockett

Boolit Master
    I have 4-12 ingot, 5-6 ingot muffin tins that hold 2 lbs/ ingot. 2-12 ingot muffin tins that are 1 lb each. I never paid more then $1 for each one. If the aren't rusty and nasty when I get them, I sprinkle some salt on them and leave them out in the weather till the get a nice patina of rust. NEVER a stiuck ingot. If you pour 80 lbs of ingots from 1 pot you don't want to go hunting or waiting for ingots to cool.

My casting pot don't care where they come from.

Boolit Master

You can go to Bass Pro and get a complete setup for smelting very cheap. "They" call it a fish fryer but what do they know! I just recently got one and it works great It even comes with a red handled media sifter..
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...15772/-1688344
    I see they went up again. They had them on sale a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Charlie Two Tracks; 02-17-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Two Tracks View Post
    You can go to Bass Pro and get a complete setup for smelting very cheap. "They" call it a fish fryer but what do they know! I just recently got one and it works great It even comes with a red handled media sifter..
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...15772/-1688344
    I see they went up again. They had them on sale a few weeks ago.
    Cabelas also has a similar fish fryer/smelter. That's where I got mine...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Buddy
    I made my laddle out of a 2" pipe cap and 3 foot peice of 1/2 inch SS tubing. Drilled and tapped 2 holes and attached the tubing to the cap. was great for pooring ingots.

Boolit Buddy

If you can cut 14 -16 guage sheet metal and weld, you can make a 7"x7"x7" or what ever size square smelting pot. for a handle, use some heavy election sign wire bent in half to make a long U shape.
    With this type pot, you can pour right from the corner, it works great!
    It doesnt have to be really thick material, mine have smelted many many lbs of WW's

+1 for muffin tins. Like others said the nastier the better. I left mine out in the rain and wet to get it perfect. I use the rectangular tins and the ingots fit into my pots great.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by RollerCam View Post

If you know a welder, for $30 of angle or channel iron scrap, you can make some great ingot molds.