Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The cost, when you can't DIY

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by steve in kc View Post
    I've never read of this. I've read of numerous issues with ALUMINUM pots giving way from the prolonged heat and weight, but never a cast iron dutch oven.
    Agree. I still have--and use--the infamous dutch oven me and an Air Force buddy used over thirty years ago at the base hobby shop where we both received our first introduction to the Tinsel Fairy, and then the maddest Chief Master Sergeant I ever saw.

Picked up another dutch oven for ten bucks at Academy Sports three or four years ago, and use it heavily as well. Zero problems.

Keep in mind that many boolit casters use the cheapest dutch ovens they can find--the Chicom ones at Harbor Freight, and have no problems.

Casting and reloading are all about safety and your individual comfort zones. In order to maintain those safety and comfort zones accurately, you need to make sure you get accurate information.

Boolit Master
    I think what boolitschuuter is refering to is having a cheap dutch oven full of alloy and rapping on the edge with your skimming spoon or ladle. Too much force in too small a space can create a crack and weight of the alloy causes the crack to spread. I'm always mindful to tap gently to knock excess off my utensil. Probably 2 tons through my pot with no problems...so far.

Stainless Steel pressure cooker.
    The folger's can is for scale.

Quote Originally Posted by BoolitSchuuter View Post
    Many folks have related horror stories of their dutch ovens cracking. I don't have a problem with a turkey fryer, that is what I'll use for my heat source.
    Don't buy a cheap CHina made one & it probably won;t crack. Mine hasn't yet after 3yrs smelting.

Hey there Schuuter , you have a pm .

Boolit Bub

???

Nobody uses an old plumbers pot and furnace?? I have 2 I got for FREE from the dumpster at work + a long regulator/hose set up from the same dumpster!!! Old ladle and lead working tools from a retired splicer and Presto!!! Ingot Factory!!

Ahhbach

Boolit Grand Master

I've read about cast iron dutch ovens cracking when smeltin lead. Doesn't happen very much, and seems to be the "Made in China" type (Harbor Freight?). No reason to fault a guy for doing what he wants; his reasoning, his money, his choice. I have a steel pot similar to what the O.P. is having made; 8" hex with a 1/4" bottom (an old axel nut socket use on an American Crane). Found the socket and had the shop welder put a botton on it for me.
    My Anchor is holding fast!