RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you use the Lee factory Crimp Die when loading pistol cartridges withcast bullets

Voters
871. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the FCD for all my handgun cartridge loadings when using cast bullets.

574 65.90%
  • No, I never use this die as it swages down my cast bullets

297 34.10%
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets

I do not use FCD, tried it once and never again... I use the Lee Taper Crimp die on 45acp and 9mm

Doc

Boolit Master
    Couldn't answer poll as it is only used for me on my 380 loads (and not always then)and to ocassionally "repair" 9mm when they are tight in chamber.

So for me it is option C , sometimes!

Boolit Grand Master

Lee sure is getting a lot of free advertising!

BTW; my Lee FCD for handguns now resides in a landfill somewhere in Southern Oregon...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Mine took a trip to the scrap metal recycling yard.

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Master
    I tried it with .44 Special, ended up knocking the Carbide ring out of the crimp die. Should have just sold it and bought good dies.

Banned

The handgun FCDs are the among highest rated dies on Midway USA, if not the highest rated dies. If you don't know its proper application, semi-auto SAAMI spec ammunition, then you will not get it. For over-sized cast bullets, I like the Redding crimp dies.

Boolit Buddy
    FCD has worked very well with the 44-40. I have not lost any cases yet despite the thin walls.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    The handgun FCDs are the among highest rated dies on Midway USA, if not the highest rated dies. If you don't know its proper application, semi-auto SAAMI spec ammunition, then you will not get it. For over-sized cast bullets, I like the Redding crimp dies.
    Hmmm. I guess all those tens of thousands of reloaders that reloaded millions upon millions of 45 ACP and 9mmP rounds didn't know they were wrong! I have been reloading 45 ACP since '86, and 9mm since '90 and none ever saw an FCD, but then again, I know how to adjust my dies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

^^^ You do well defending the minority view. But the "logic" that people were able to load ammunition without handgun FCDs is akin to eschewing carbide dies "cause my daddy never used them."

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Hmmm. I guess all those tens of thousands of reloaders that reloaded millions upon millions of 45 ACP and 9mmP rounds didn't know they were wrong! I have been reloading 45 ACP since '86, and 9mm since '90 and none ever saw an FCD, but then again, I know how to adjust my dies...
    I guess all those "tens of thousands of reloaders that reloaded millions upon millions" of rounds had enough problems that Lee decided to make the FCD. Companies don't normally expend R&D, marketing, and production costs if they don't think they have a market.

I like mine, and I'll continue to use them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dudel View Post
    Companies don't normally expend R&D, marketing, and production costs if they don't think they have a market.
    Look into what they're made from. There was no R&D. The carbide rings are the trash from making the dies. This is one of the reasons they are inconsistent. Can't blame Lee for making use of scrap metal.

I use the FCD for jacketed because I have the space on the turret. Don't use them for cast because the ones I own post size the bullet to much.

Boolit Master

Years later and I still can't answer this poll because I use the pistol FCD when I can and don't when I shouldn't. I know how they work so they don't cause me problems. I happen to enjoy being able to adjust the crimp from load to load without needing to adjust the die's depth in the press. For all the snarky comments and the usual Lee bashing it sure is funny how if you know how they work then they work just fine.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    it sure is funny how if you know how they work then they work just fine.
    Bingo! Spot on. And if you don't know how they work, and when and when not to use them, you downgrade everyone else who uses them successfully. Go figure.

Boolit Master

I used an FCD on 9mm with a TL356-124-TC, sized .357 for a couple thousand rounds. When I pulled loaded rounds afterwards, none were swaged down, so it wasn't causing me any issues. I've since gone to a Lee TC die, which has worked fine as well.

Boolit Master

I think a lot must depend on your bullet alloy. I size my 9mm to .358. After running them thru the Lee FCD they were swaged down to.354. My alloy is on the soft side, 50/50 COWW and Pb. I do use the 40 S&W FCD but just on empty cases as a bulge buster. I can see the advantage when loading jacketed or possibly on a harder cast alloy. Like others has stated "just another tool in the box" to be used where appropriate.

Boolit Grand Master

I set them lightly just for consistency. No complaints.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Consistency is not Lee's strong point. With their FCD's and their moulds if your lucky you'll get a just right one. My 9mm FCD just happens to nicely crimp in my 358 sized powder coated boolits just using the carbide ring and no additional crimp. When pulled boolit measures .3575 and I rarely if ever have a failure to feed. GP

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Dragonrider for your post on page one 2-27-11
    I will pull a boolit after running a case/boolit thru the FCD; mike the boolit then grind carbide ring if necessary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timtheartist View Post
    Thanks Dragonrider for your post on page one 2-27-11
    I will pull a boolit after running a case/boolit thru the FCD; mike the boolit then grind carbide ring if necessary
    You could try backing out the die and not hot the insert. I learned most of my calibers and chambers will be just right without the insert so I don't use it. And I use the fcd in every caliber. Mostly it's the 9 that is problematic. 45, 10,40, wheel guns all seem just ok

Boolit Master
    Come on people its not rocket science its simple math. It is a post sizing die. If your loaded round is larger than the carbide ring it will size it. If your loaded round contains a boolit that can easily be sized it will also be reduced in size. Brass can and does spring back a little. Lead does not. This equals less neck tension at the very least.

Measure your carbide ring in your FCD. If its smaller than your loaded cast or plated ammo I suggest not using it.

Don't use something because someone says it works good for them. These are tools and tools are made for specific purposes. Know the purpose of the tool and use it accordingly.

Motor

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast