Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you use the Lee factory Crimp Die when loading pistol cartridges withcast bullets

Voters
871. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the FCD for all my handgun cartridge loadings when using cast bullets.

574 65.90%
  • No, I never use this die as it swages down my cast bullets

297 34.10%
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets

Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets

My experince has been this die straightens out the bulge on handgun cartridge cases but in so doing swages down my cast bullets. I would be interested to learn of your experience.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use it on some rounds, I have the die for most but usually seat and crimp as a separate operation using the seating die. At one time I had a 5 station progressive and I used the Carbide Factory Crimp die at the final station. I don't use a progressive any more so the crimp dies don't come out very often.

Boolit Buddy
    mine works fine in making sure the bell is gone from expanding. never seen any problems with it.

In Remembrance
    The FCD is one of many tools on my bench, and as such, it is not appropriate for all reloading applications.

So, my answer is I use it for some reloads of both handgun and rifle calibers, depending on the boolit, charge, firearm being loaded for, etc.

Example:

One of my favorite .452 boolits is the Lee 200SWC. When loading for my old Colt Gov't model, a very light taper crimp is more than good enough. This gun is so loose that it will chamber a 2x4.

But when loading for my AMT Longslide Hardballer or Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, I use the Lee FCD, which allows the boolits to chamber with no resistance. I get no leading and superb accuracy.

Now, with the old Colt Gov't, I get leading. As I said, everything on that gun is very loose. On the Gold Cup and the Longslide, I get no leading.

But as far as pistol/handgun calibers, .45ACP is the only caliber I use an FCD for. I have toyed with the idea of picking one up for .357 Magnum when using jacketed bullets.

Again, it depends on the boolit/load/sizing of boolit/firearm combination that determines whether or not I use an FCD.

Boolit Master

One should not say that the FCD WILL size down my boolits, one should say the die COULD size 'em down.

Big difference.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

May be useful when loading for auto pistols but, in my experience, usually counterproductive when loading for revolvers due to the bullet resizing issue. All of my handguns are revolvers so I avoid using them.

-ktw

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    I use it when I load 45 ACP. I've never had any reason to use it on other calibers. My 45 is a new (well, not so new now) Taurus PT1911. I've never had any leading with it and the accuracy is "minute of bad guy" at 45'.

Jerry
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have used the die with several calibers. On some bullets it will give a very nice crimp and on others it pinches the side of the brass case in with just the slightest turn of adjustment. I load and shoot 44-40 in SASS matches with all my guns in that caliber. I have always loaded in 4 steps with seating and crimping being in separate stages. I was looking for a better die and found it at Redding Dies. They sell a Profile die in taper or roll crimp. It does a perfect crimp when loading the bullet over a full case of BP. It is much better on my cases as I'm able to adjust it to where the crimp is a very gradual roll and not a sharp ring like the Lee die.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I use one when I have my Hornady AP set up for 25-20WCF. It gives a great crimp without damaging the thin necks. My Marlin just loves those boolits.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried them. For my .44s a pulled bullet is about .429" - .430" when the FCD is used. I need .431" and .432", depending on the gun. So, I tossed it. For my 45 ACP, I reload "normally" and all cartridges chamber easily, so there is no mistakes/misadjustments to correct with the Lee FCD. Prolly jes me...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I've used the FCD on 9mm, 40s&w, 45auto, 357 magnum and 30-30 and love them.

If not properly adjusted it is possible to swage on all these calibers...but I don't let them. Standard operating procedure when I get a new die set involves lots of dummy-bullet-pulling. It's very easy to make sure the set crimp isn't set so strong that it's swaging.

The only time I saw swaging happening before it even reached the crimp sleeve was when I was testing an unsized bullet for the 40s&w with some thick Winchester brass.

As far as I'm concerned, any and all swaging issues with the FCD are end-user issues.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jech View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, any and all swaging issues with the FCD are end-user issues.
    Thank you for your opinion.

The FCD has it's place in shooting, just as Recluse said it is a tool. It should be used when needed and does not have to be used when it is unneeded or proven to cause a problem for YOUR weapon. A hammer is a very useful and general tool, but it is not used on every job.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    It should be used when needed and does not have to be used when it is unneeded or proven to cause a problem for YOUR weapon.
    Couldn't agree more!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

My testing of the FCD may be incomplete, but it will not work for my Dan Wesson 44H, S&W 629, Contender, Ruger SBH, or Puma, all in .44 magnum. The die has a carbide ring that swages the finished round down to "factory specs." which makes the boolits too small for any of my magnums shooting lead boolits. I've slugged all the bbls of my guns and the pulled boolits from rounds loaded using the FCD die are too small. I like a med-heavy roll crimp on my .44s so the FCD is of no use to me, I'll use my Lyman crimp die for that. My only thought on the FCD is that it's a solution for a problem thar can usually be corrected with proper loading methods (I've never had seating/feeding problems with my 45 ACPs, so I never considered a FCD, and how many billions of 45 ACP round have been reloaded before the FCD came out?). I'm not anti-Lee as I think many of their products are quite innovative and I own lots of Lee stuff. If it weren't promoted as the "end all tool" for reloading, I'd prolly keep my mouth shut, but it's too highly praised for jest a "fix-it" tool...

my dos centavos...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    If your cast boolit is larger than a J-bullet of same caliber, the FCD will resize the boolit. Such as FCD in 357 that I have, no boolit came out of that die that was not sized down to 358. and I needed them to be 360" . My fix was to first remove the carbide ring and try it. That made things worse as no matter how lightly I crimped it raised a bulge in the case that prevented chambering. I reinstalled the carbide ring and using my lathe and toolpost grinder and a diamond bit reground its ID .002" larger.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

My experience

I use them on 9mm 380 and 45. I shoot them in submachine guns, and even with generous chamber dimensions, they often fail to feed.
    Revolver cartridges crimp nicely with almost every dies made that I use....Dillon, RCBS, LEE, etc.. I could only see using the FCD on pistol brass.
    I have just recently solved this issue with Plated 147 gr 9mm's and used the FCD to make the loaded round chamber reliably. Never had that problem with the revolver cartridges.
    I am about to start the process with cast. I would suggest it will be just as good as with jacketed. We will see.
    No leading with Lyman 356402's sized to 356. I will see if that changes when I use the FCD on them. Don't think so.

Boolit Master
    I did not vote in this poll because the question was too constrained.

I use FCD's where appropriate.

If the die is sizing the boolit too much I don't and sometimes, I use a FCD and a conventional crimper in tandem.

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    I can't vote b/c I use it for some applications, not for others.

I find it invaluable in my 45 acp 1911...

Not helpful for revolvers.

Adjust die for a nice roll crimp for revolvers. Don't need no stinkin factory crimp...

Boolit Master
    I use it sometimes. I found that the only crimp die that produced more accurate ammunition in .38 Special 148gn L-HBWC was the Redding Profile Crimp Die. This is important as the Remington L-HBWC bullets are 0.358" at the nose and 0.360" at the skirt. Any swaging would destroy accuracy. The cases were unsized, as sizing and expanding would still swage the bullets.
    I have had one swage down my 0.358" 9x19 bullets and got leading and shotgun groups, so I don't use it there.
    .45 Auto seems to be a wash. I can use it and not have any negative effects, but the standard taper crimp die works just find.
    For .40, I use the FCD in conjunction with the Bulge Buster kit as part of the case prep before loading, so I could say that I always use for .40S&W.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast