Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

View Poll Results: Do you use the Lee factory Crimp Die when loading pistol cartridges withcast bullets

Voters
871. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I use the FCD for all my handgun cartridge loadings when using cast bullets.

574 65.90%
  • No, I never use this die as it swages down my cast bullets

297 34.10%
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Lee Factory Crimp die for Handgun Cartridges and Cast Bullets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    My FCD dies do NOT size my boolits. The carbide ring barely brushes the sides of the case if it touches them at all.(perhaps I have some unusual FCD dies). I really like the crimp it produces and the ease of adjustment it provides.
    I don't have problems with leading in any of my handguns. I don't have problems with accuracy in my handguns other than I simply can't shoot well enough(that's a personal problem, not equipment).
    My cast loads shoot the same groups my jacketed loads do.
    I fail to see the problem with using an FCD. I think something may be going on about how the die is being used if you are having trouble with it.
    If my cases were having issues going through the FCD, I would have other problems, not the fault of the FCD.
    tazman's post matches my experience .
    There are two type dies that Lee calls FCD one does a collet crimp the other is the carbide crimp for straight wall cases. I use both.
    Last edited by onelight; 12-03-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

When I tried an FCD for handgun cartridges it did swage my cast bullets down (I used .4310" diameter cast bullets, in approx 11 BHN, in various head stamped brass and the FCD did swage the bullets down .003"). Seated, crimped and removed bullet to measure on several rounds. I only fired a dozen rounds through my SBH and just 6 through my 629. I have been reloading for over 35 years and have never had the need to resize any cartridges after crimping. Never. If there were bulges or an oversize OD I found out why and fixed it. I can't say how someone else's ammo turns out but my FCD for 44 Magnum ruined my carefully sized cast bullets. Not a Lee Hater here, just believe the FCD for handgun cartridges is a solution looking a problem (which doesn't exist if proper die adjustment and reloading methods are followed)...

My main gripe is that new reloaders see these "I use an FCD on all my handloads", posts and think it's OK to hide problems rather than fixing it...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-05-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

mdi I had the same experience. If your cases are slightly bulged due to loading lead bullets sized .356/.357 then smoothing the case down has to swage the bullet down. Aside from it being simply logic it tends to prove two items cannot occupy the same space at the same time. The FCD for straight walled cases or nearly so as is the case with the 9MM case reducing the diameter of the outside of the case has to swage down the bullet. Depending on the ability of the shooter and the diameter of the barrel the effect may or may not affect noted accuracy or leading. Off a bench the die decreased accuracy and my guns did lead up where before they did not.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I got a Lee ABLP a while back and decided to set it up for 41 Magnum cast loads. I had read many posts about the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die and whether or not it did size the cast boolit being loaded down. Since the 41M die set is only a 3 die set and I like to seat and size separately I ordered both the Lee CFCD and a regular seat/crimp die.

I can cast two different 210 grain boolits. The first is the Lee tumble lube boolit which sizes to .4095 using the push through sizer and the second is the RCBS boolit which sizes to .4105 using a Lyman 450. I also have 3 brands of brass that have different wall thicknesses. R-P has a wall thickness of .0095, Winchester has a thickness of .0105 and some Midway brass has a thickness of .0115 inches. The carbide ring in the bottom of the CFCD measured out at 0.432 using an expanding ball and measuring that with a micrometer. I did all of my "loading" using dies in station 1 only and just seated without crimping.

The cartridges loaded with the Lee boolit which had a diameter of .4095 had loaded outside diameters of .431 to .433 and went in to the Lee CFCD with no resistance. There was also no resistance when running the RCBS boolit (.4105 diameter) into the CFCD with the R-P brass. The OD of the finished round was .432 which matched the diameter with the boolit seated prior to using the CFCD. However, there was very slight resistance with both the Winchester and Midway brass. The finished ODs were .434 for both types of brass which is right at the SAAMI maximum. In both cases the diameter of the round with the boolit seated but prior to using the CFCD was .434 inches. The diameter of these last two boolits were .4105 for the one in the Winchester brass and .4102 for the one in Midway brass. Thus there was about .0003 of swaging due to the CFCD in one case.

It appears as though everybody is right. If the boolits are about the same diameter as a j-word bullet and the brass has a "normal" wall thickness you probably won't swage the boolit down. If the cast boolit is larger than a j-word and/or the case has thick walls you could swage the boolit down. Is it going to be a problem? I don't know the answer to that question because it is above my pay grade. You will have to ask "Mr. gun" for that answer.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    If I have a mold that drops .452 bullets and I want .454 that don't make the mold bad just the wrong one for my application.
    On my carbide FCD dies for revolvers.32 .357 .44 .45 colt a case fired in my guns before sizing will slip past the carbide ring with just thumb pressure .
    Use what works for your application .

Boolit Master

I load a bunch of different calibers and cartridges and I find that I really only have trouble with 3 from time to time. 32ACP in some brass is an issue sometimes, I always plunk test these rounds. From time to time they will not drop in without a pass thru the FCD. This is very brass dependent, euro brass is thicker than most US brass. For the euro brass I use a standard sizer and step expander for US brass I use a Lee undersized sizer since most of it is thinner walled. 9mm seems to have some of the same issues, but I have not found a need for an undersized sizer yet. The round that seems to cause me the most pain is the 380ACP, my Springfield 911 has a fairly tight chamber and brass thickness makes a big difference with cast boolits sized to .356 in an NOE sizer. I taper crimp with an RCBS 9mm die and find that the rounds that have issues have a small expansion at the base of the bullet. The FCD makes it go away and after a proper crimp does not seem to do anything until that bulge at the base of the boolit. After FCD is used, stubborn rounds drop right in. I plunk test each round of 380.

I have a Dillon, but use the Lee factory crimp for all of my 9mm, .40 and .45, Tested with and without using it and my group at 15 yards was a half inch tighter using the Lee dies. I will never own another red press after going blue, but still really like their dies.
    Luke 11:21 When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Boolit Buddy
    Context is everything.

If your gun requires lead bullets sized above SAAMI specification diameter the The Lee FCD sizing them to SAAMI diameter is not a good thing. If your gun will not shoot factory made lead bullets to SAAMI spec you are casting for this reason.

If your gun shoots bullets made to SAAMI specification then the Lee DVD is going to ensure your cartridges function flawlessly.

Many firearms had loose chambers & throats to enhance function. Most modern guns will be made to SAAMI spec so SAAMI bullets sing thru them. There are exceptions.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee FCD mainly on auto loading cases. I use the normal crimp die to crimp. I use the FCD to iron out bulges in the auto cases to ensure reliable feeding. The FCD die has saved many a day. Randy.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunner452 View Post
    I use the Lee FCD mainly on auto loading cases. I use the normal crimp die to crimp. I use the FCD to iron out bulges in the auto cases to ensure reliable feeding. The FCD die has saved many a day. Randy.
    So you size to .452" and load cases which bulge slightly, then you run them through the FCD to remove the bulge, what do you suppose happens when you do that? You compress the brass case until the bulge is gone, which makes it smaller, what do you suppose happens to the boolit inside the case if you make the case smaller? It WON'T be .452" anymore.

The "normal" crimp in a Lee die is a roll crimp. These are for rimmed cases, autoloaders need a taper crimp which will crimp the case but leave the case walls straight since they headspace on the case mouth.

The FCD argument has been beaten to death and then some on this forum. Most of us pretty much agree that if you size larger than .451" for a 45 ACP, the carbide ring will swage your boolit down in the case. There are rare occasions where this doesn't happen, because all of those carbide ring dies are not created equal, there are variances in the ring itself. For the most part you can use a taper crimp die and be much better off.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    The auto pistol carbide factory crimp die is a taper crimp die .
    It is designed to duplicate a factory round case dimensions just like Lee says in the description .
    https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/

Boolit Master

merely wondering out loud, but I have read and seen videos of guys using a 9mm Makarov FCD as a bulge buster for 9mm Luger cases out of older loose chambered Glock fired cases. If I followed the explanations correctly because of the taper of a 9mm Luger case, the Makarov is just large enough to smooth out the lower case bulge where the 9mm Luger die can't.

Although the Makarov die couldn't be used for crimping, but perhaps it would serve as the final QC for reliable function checks without swaging down some not too large boolits. Not as a push through bulge buster, but rather a normal in and out sizer function.

Again, just wondering out loud because my Dillon 450 doesn't seem to have enough holes as is and I have no desire to handle every round anymore times than I already am.

I confess in advance, I did not read the entire 15 pages of this thread. If this has already been mentioned, my apologies upfront for being lazy and please disregard.

Edit added: post #164 mentions the Makarov FCD being used for bulge busting the base of 9mm Luger.
    Last edited by oley55; 04-23-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I have the Lee FCD for my .38 Special loads. I wish I could find the FCD in stock anywhere because it would be a great way to make a great QC step.

I had a bit of a scare with some range brass that didn't fit in my revolver after I had reloaded it. Stuffed it though the Lee FCD and it plunked just fine!

Boolit Master
    The bulge buster kit uses the Factory crimp die for that cartridge , 380 factory crimp die for 380
    The sliding crimp tube and the adjuster are removed and replaced with parts from the bulge buster kit.
    9mm is tapered so I don't think it is offered.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The bulge buster kit uses the Factory crimp die for that cartridge , 380 factory crimp die for 380
    The sliding crimp tube and the adjuster are removed and replaced with parts from the bulge buster kit.
    9mm is tapered so I don't think it is offered.
    per the videos Lee has apparently stopped listing the use of the 9mm Makarov for 9mm Luger, but did and it apparently works as per the videos. Although I personally wouldn't be very comfortable re-cycling de-bulged 9mm cases. Especially if they were to be used in an older Glock with the larger unsupported chamber. I'm not a Glockster myself and have no practical knowledge on which ones are or are not problematic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxOIuLSb7s

in this second video the two examples presented are down right scary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn-kZi_4YNs
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I did not know that the Makarov die was ever an option for bulge busting 9mm.
    I pitch 9mm cases that have an obvious bulge .

Boolit Buddy

Yes, the Makorov factory crimp die can be used to fix 9mm Luger cases that have expanded near the base. It only touches the brass at the base because the 9mm is a tapered case.
    Any brass that has a "Smile Bulge" gets crimped with a pair of pliers and tossed in the trash. I've only had this happen with 10mm.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    When I tried an FCD for handgun cartridges it did swage my cast bullets down (I used .4310" diameter cast bullets, in approx 11 BHN, in various head stamped brass and the FCD did swage the bullets down .003"). Seated, crimped and removed bullet to measure on several rounds. I only fired a dozen rounds through my SBH and just 6 through my 629. I have been reloading for over 35 years and have never had the need to resize any cartridges after crimping. Never. If there were bulges or an oversize OD I found out why and fixed it. I can't say how someone else's ammo turns out but my FCD for 44 Magnum ruined my carefully sized cast bullets. Not a Lee Hater here, just believe the FCD for handgun cartridges is a solution looking a problem (which doesn't exist if proper die adjustment and reloading methods are followed)...

My main gripe is that new reloaders see these "I use an FCD on all my handloads", posts and think it's OK to hide problems rather than fixing it...
    I don't know if Lee has changed the revolver FCD over the years but all of my revolver FCD will let a fired case that has not been resized slip in past the carbide ring with hand pressure . A bullet that made the cartridge diameter larger than a fired case would not chamber in any of my revolvers. The carbide rings do not touch the case when loading revolver rounds with my dies.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    My experince has been this die straightens out the bulge on handgun cartridge cases but in so doing swages down my cast bullets. I would be interested to learn of your experience.

Take Care

Bob
    When i bulge bust unknown brass i have to take the crimp apart and put in the part they sell for truing ( glocked brass) . Are you saying it swadges bullets under normal crimping? I wouldn't think it would do that. If it sizing brass to be true, and it is hitting your lead I would think your lead maybe over sized? Its late so maybe i misunderstand

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I don't know if Lee has changed the revolver FCD over the years but all of my revolver FCD will let a fired case that has not been resized slip in past the carbide ring with hand pressure . A bullet that made the cartridge diameter larger than a fired case would not chamber in any of my revolvers. The carbide rings do not touch the case when loading revolver rounds with my dies.
    A lot of that depends on how sloppy the chamber is.

The ONLY reason to use an FCD is to make sure handgun ammo chambers every time, all the time. A lot of that is controlled by how thick the case walls are and how fat the cast bullets are.

ALL of my social work ammo is finished on a Lee FCD. I've been reloading for a very long time but I haven't yet learned how to adjust my assortment of dies to make my cases or bullets any thinner during the loading process; guess I'm a slow learner but my ammo does chamber and feed with total reliability. And my accuracy is well within minute of goblin at self defense ranges. ??

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast