MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: can anyone explain this? 358495

Boolit Buddy

can anyone explain this? 358495

I am confused by the refractory material. It seems like a paper clay or something.

Was this factory, or something added by someone? It casts good boolits...I just hadn't seen that before. It's a Lyman mold.

Boolit Master

snowman

is it possible that some one milled out material so mold heats up qwiker?

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like someone added something we like to call beagaling. It is to gain a fe thousands on the bullet. We usually use aluminum tape.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Buddy
    It's flush with the inside of the mold...so it's not expanding the diameter of the cast boolit. It may have been a modification that the guy added, but it would surprise me...as it seems to be well done (and most of his stuff was hacked together)

I was just curious if it was a factory modification or something. Is anyone interested in it?

My guess, and its merely a guess is that its a modification to adapt the mold to an automatic casting setup, probably a homemade one at that.

I would bet that if you removed the refractory material that there are mounting scratches on on the inside of the blocks.

I've seen modifications like this on other Lyman two cavity molds, and its always on two cavity molds, never one or four cavity molds, which makes me think folks were fiddling with homemade casting machinery.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two reasons I can think of - one, to lighten the mould; two, to reduce the mass (keeps heat) to make cooling more nearly the same at top and bottom of the mould.

2 GUESSES.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trk View Post
    Two reasons I can think of - one, to lighten the mould; two, to reduce the mass (keeps heat) to make cooling more nearly the same at top and bottom of the mould.

2 GUESSES.
    I'm with TRK on this one. If a setup for a casting machine, why fill the milled out portion with somehting?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Buckshot:

MY guess - FWIW - is that the intent was to slow down heat loss from the botttom of the mould, most likely for one of the automatic casting mchines.

floodgate
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by floodgate View Post
    Buckshot:

MY guess - FWIW - is that the intent was to slow down heat loss from the botttom of the mould, most likely for one of the automatic casting mchines.

floodgate
    Ah! Okay, I htought the milled out portion was so it would fit in some fixture or something.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance