Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Lead alloy calculators

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I cast boolits and shootem'!
    Hahahaha yup that is the best way to get rid of contaminated lead. Or better yet send it to me.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

I've been trying to download and open the calculator onto a new computer. Windows 10 operating system 64 bit, LibreOffice Calc Ver 6.4.7.2 program. I get it downloaded but when I try to open it, Calc says the file is corrupted and won't open it. Any help?
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master

I run it on Windows 10 too but on Excel. My version of Excel is 2003 so I would think that it would run on your spreadsheet. You might try OpenOffice. Most of the free programs are compatible, or so I've been told. Hopefully, someone more accomplished with computers than I am will respond.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I run it inside of GoogleSheets quite successfully. Even works from my iPhone that way.

So it seems what I am hearing is that the file is NOT corrupted but that the problem is probably with LibreCalc? Yet on my old computer it ran okay with LibreCalc? I looked at the GoogleSheets thing but apparently my GoogleFu is not up to the task.
    AKA "Old Vic"

Boolit Master

I just checked and I also have a copy on Open Office spreadsheet. I haven't used it lately since I an familiar with Excel, so I use it as my backup copy. Try downloading Open Office and copying the lead alloy calculator to it.+
    John
    W.TN

I downloaded Open Office. No help. Apparently did not have a compatible file extension?? So, fortunately, I had saved all the files off the old computer to a flash drive. Got that and found a copy of the Lead Calculator program circa 2012. Loaded that on new computer. Opened it in LibreCalc, and it opened fine and works good. So, now I wonder, is the file currently shown here corrupted? Has anyone else, recently, tried to open it in any program?
    AKA "Old Vic"

Boolit Buddy
    There is an error in the formula somewhere.
    Can someone correct the error or show me how to correct it?
    If I put 10lbs of pure lead (Brinell 5) and look at the bottom it gives me a hardness of 8.6.

Lead alloy calculators

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    There is an error in the formula somewhere.
    Can someone correct the error or show me how to correct it?
    If I put 10lbs of pure lead (Brinell 5) and look at the bottom it gives me a hardness of 8.6.
    Its an empirical formula, It’s made to calculate a mix of alloys with tin and antimony within the range used in boolits. It doesn’t work for just pure lead or other non-mix and as you stated you don’t need a formula for pure lead...it’s listed as 5 to the side.

Here is the info on the formula below. As you can see, it starts at 8.6 if tin and antimony are zero. Sure, we could put in a ‘if, then’ statement and such but it’s overkill. Just use it for mixes as intended.

Basic Rules for Hardening Lead-
    For every 1% additional tin, Brinell hardness increases 0.3.
    For every 1% additional antimony, Brinell hardness increases 0.9.
    For a simple equation,
    Brinell = 8.60 (Antimonial Lead) + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony )
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 02-28-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Its an empirical formula, It’s made to calculate a mix of alloys with tin and antimony within the range used in boolits. It doesn’t work for just pure lead or other non-mix and as you stated you don’t need a formula for pure lead...it’s listed as 5 to the side.

Here is the info on the formula below. As you can see, it starts at 8.6 if tin and antimony are zero. Sure, we could put in a ‘if, then’ statement and such but it’s overkill. Just use it for mixes as intended.

Basic Rules for Hardening Lead-
    For every 1% additional tin, Brinell hardness increases 0.3.
    For every 1% additional antimony, Brinell hardness increases 0.9.
    For a simple equation,
    Brinell = 8.60 (Antimonial Lead) + ( 0.29 * Tin ) + ( 0.92 * Antimony )
    Edit: I was able to edit the formula to properly calculate any mixture.
    Brinell = 5 (Lead) + (0.29 * Tin) +(0.92 * Antimony)
    Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-28-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Lead alloy calculators

I’m sorry, calling it a calculator is flawed since it doesn’t calculate accurately.
    If I have 96% pure lead and 4% antimony I should still get a result of 8.68.
    Mathematics should not have more than 1 answer.
    It’s empirical...adapted from test data that isn’t linear...it curves depending on the % of alloy(s) and even those test would vary some at each repetition and test conditions. There is no real correct equation that would be simple enough for our reasonable inputs and general use. It’s based on the ‘KISS’ principle and is accurate enough for the typical boolit casting mixes.

Example lead/antimony curve as an example of what it’s trying to fit. You can see how with even a small partial percentage of antimony it jumps to above the 5 for lead.

Last edited by Stewbaby; 02-28-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Lead alloy calculators

Don’t forget, we don’t typically even know the true alloy mix and BHN of what we are mixing unless we happen to own a XRF gun. Starting with a ‘best guess’ on stuff like COWW, range lead, x-ray sheets, etc we don’t need a super accurate formula.
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 02-28-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just starting to get serious about casting.
    I have a Magma Master Caster and a Star Lube Sizer arriving tomorrow.
    I have several hundred pounds of pure lead from cable sheathing.

Now that I have modified the formula to more closely calculate pure lead I can try different combinations to get me to 2% tin, 6% antimony, 92% lead.

My lead was free
    My pewter cost me around $3.00/lb
    I can get linotype for $3.00/Lb Canadian.
    I can get antimony for $23.00/Lb Canadian

If I go with 2lbs Pewter, 5.1lbs antimony, and 80lbs lead my cost per pound would be $1.42/lb
    If I go with 80lbs of linotype and 80lbs of lead my cost would be $1.50/lb but my yield would also be double.

I won't have access to wheel weights till late spring.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been using the calculator for about 5 years now and it has always produced consistent hardness with the lead pencil testing which isn’t super accurate but I’m also not needing something to be ultra precise as I only have access to a 200yd range. If I was trying for the 600yd competitions I might be more concerned but as others have said, the calculator works well for what it is, an estimate.

If your using scrap like most of us than it works perfectly fine. If your looking for scientific grade accuracy of alloy than might as well buy known blends from RotoMetals and save yourself the hassle.

Just my 2 cents, calculator creates a repeatable process, not an scientifically proven content and a fairly close/repeatable estimate on hardness.

For the new casters looking for why the estimate is ok, your not so much concerned about the exact blend but more as a repeatable blend. Once you find an approximate blend you like, make a big batch of it and than use that to cast from. That way your bullets are fairly uniform. Better yet, cast the bullets in large batches so they will be as similar as possible. That way you have minimal variation in weight/alloy. Your alloy temp and ambient temp can impact your repeatability more than the calculators estimate being off will.

Boolit Master
    I'm just starting to get serious about casting.
    I have a Magma Master Caster and a Star Lube Sizer arriving tomorrow.
    I have several hundred pounds of pure lead from cable sheathing.

Now that I have modified the formula to more closely calculate pure lead I can try different combinations to get me to 2% tin, 6% antimony, 92% lead.

My lead was free
    My pewter cost me around $3.00/lb
    I can get linotype for $3.00/Lb Canadian.
    I can get antimony for $23.00/Lb Canadian

If I go with 2lbs Pewter, 5.1lbs antimony, and 80lbs lead my cost per pound would be $1.42/lb
    If I go with 80lbs of linotype and 80lbs of lead my cost would be $1.50/lb but my yield would also be double.

I won't have access to wheel weights till late spring.
    I have never worked with strait Antimony, heard that was not a good idea. I think you should go with Linotype. 50-50 mix is fairly error proof, if you are a little off it has very little effect on the end product. If you just bought 40 pounds of Linotype your out of pocket expense would be $2 less, Yes, you would have 7 pounds less alloy but you would have 40 pounds of pure for other uses or could sell or you could buy a bit of pewter and take some of your 92-2-6 and make it 95-2-3 or 94-2-4 which is like wheel weights with 2% tin, which if a fine alloy for almost any use. 92-2-6 is a little rich for most uses. Buy 40 pounds of linotype, and two pounds of pewter to add to your 80 pounds of pure and you could have 122 pounds of 94-2-4 and your out of pocket cost is going to be $1.03. You would not have to blend it all at once as these mixes are pretty easy to replicate if you pure is consistent.

Not sure what you are shooting but a lot of people have been known to be happy with 50/50 COWW and Pure with just 1 percent tin 97-1-2 that would be just 14 or so pounds of linotype and maybe 1/2 pound of pewter. That's less than $75 out of pocket for almost 95 pounds of alloy. Another good alloy, 20:1 or 95-5-0 you would need 4 pounds of pewter for $12 dollars out of pocket for 84 pounds of alloy. 97-1-2 or 95-5-0 are both about BHN of 10

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 03-01-2021 at 04:01 AM.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I have never worked with strait Antimony, heard that was not a good idea. I think you should go with Linotype. 50-50 mix is fairly error proof, if you are a little off it has very little effect on the end product. If you just bought 40 pounds of Linotype your out of pocket expense would be $2 less, Yes, you would have 7 pounds less alloy but you would have 40 pounds of pure for other uses or could sell or you could buy a bit of pewter and take some of your 92-2-6 and make it 95-2-3 or 94-2-4 which is like wheel weights with 2% tin, which if a fine alloy for almost any use. 92-2-6 is a little rich for most uses. Buy 40 pounds of linotype, and two pounds of pewter to add to your 80 pounds of pure and you could have 122 pounds of 94-2-4 and your out of pocket cost is going to be $1.03. You would not have to blend it all at once as these mixes are pretty easy to replicate if you pure is consistent.

Not sure what you are shooting but a lot of people have been known to be happy with 50/50 COWW and Pure with just 1 percent tin 97-1-2 that would be just 14 or so pounds of linotype and maybe 1/2 pound of pewter. That's less than $75 out of pocket for almost 95 pounds of alloy. Another good alloy, 20:1 or 95-5-0 you would need 4 pounds of pewter for $12 dollars out of pocket for 84 pounds of alloy. 97-1-2 or 95-5-0 are both about BHN of 10

Tim
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I will be casting for pistol 9mm, 38/357, 41 RM, and .45ACP since these are the molds and sizing dies that are coming with the Magma Caster and Lube Sizer.

I have pewter on hand so I can replicate 95/5 and see what the results are.
    The only reason I am trying to get to 2/6/92 is because that is what the Magma Caster video says that they cast with.
    I have no (very little) real world experience in casting and alloying metals.
    I just purchased the Lee Hardness Test Kit which many people claim is quite accurate.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I will be casting for pistol 9mm, 38/357, 41 RM, and .45ACP since these are the molds and sizing dies that are coming with the Magma Caster and Lube Sizer.

I have pewter on hand so I can replicate 95/5 and see what the results are.
    The only reason I am trying to get to 2/6/92 is because that is what the Magma Caster video says that they cast with.
    I have no (very little) real world experience in casting and alloying metals.
    I just purchased the Lee Hardness Test Kit which many people claim is quite accurate.
    20:1 (95-5-0) will be wonderful for you bullets. You are lucky you can get pewter so cheep. The Lee Hardness Test Kit is a bit fiddly but works fine if you are careful. Accuracy depends on the operator. It is what I use. The biggest challenge with it is how to hold the microscope still and in focus so you can get a good measurement. A lot of people put it in a kiddy microscope stand.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I found this a while ago and its just what I was looking for. Thank you.

Boolit Mold
    Wow, I must be losing it. I cannot get this thing to work with open office.

I'm using Libreoffice Version 7.6 Calc. on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. The extracted file I'm running is from the original ZIP file I downloaded back in 2020 it opens and runs fine on my system.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download...d-libreoffice/

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415