Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Chrome plated WW's?

Chrome plated WW's?

Hey all- I have a few lbs worth of stick on's that look to be chrome plated. They are definately lead, WAY too soft to be zinc. I've never seen or heard of chrome plated WW's before, so before I risk contaminating a smelt, any problems with these?

Thanks!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Boolit Bub
    I think they are painted, might be chome... or at least some similar shiny type material. THey coat some and then charge extra so they dont ruin the look of your chrome rims with a dull looking piece of lead. I have run into a few, and just melt them down with the rest of the lead.

Boolit Master
    Check out the melting temp.. maybe they are tin..
    WW:s that are mabe from tin looks different compared to the lead ones..

S

Boolit Master
    No, I don't think so I believe the chroming process would melt them anyway. It is probably just paint on them. Some of the clip ons are painted too. You won't be able to cut a zinc weight as you say. Just stay upwind of those nasty stickons!
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Thanks all. It might be some type of "chrome" paint, but they aren't like any of the grey painted ww's I've seen before. It actually looks like a cheap chrome-plating job. I'll have to take some pics and post them up, if for nothing more than the fact that they are interesting.
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Here is a pic. For comparison, the one on top is a grey painted SO, the bottom is a plain SO and in the middle is the shiny "chrome" SO. I suck at taking pics, so this doesn't really show how "chrome" it is, but with the flash it just reflects light...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture.jpg  
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a bunch at a car swap for a couple of dollars, just havent gotten around to smelting them yet. They are the old hammer on type.

Boolit Master
    I checked from the manufacturer: K&L site and they have weights in different colours.. silver coated too.. Lead and steel.. So according to that, they should have lead in them.

S

Just to let you know for sure, the chrome melting point is 3374.6 °F, so you'll never get close in your lead pot....Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

My guess is that you have some unused weights there. If you look at the back, the tape probably still has the wax paper on it, not yet pulled to be used. Are they really flexible like the other lead ones that are not so shiney?

Those look a lot like shiney new fresh-cast boolits to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Yea. The company that makes the center ones might use a different amount of tin/lead then the other 2. Ive actually been waiting for someone to seperate their wws, melt them down and get/give the bhns of each maker. (hint hint comeon guys)

L. Bottoms

Boolit Buddy
    Since were here i vote *Paladin*! Hehe.

Boolit Buddy
    They make chrome ones Harley Davidson motorcycles only use them. They come in clip on and stick on. Most motorcycle chops use chrome ones on cruiser bikes. They are just lead that has been chrome plated. Lead can be chrome plated as nickle and copper are base coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick_man View Post
    My guess is that you have some unused weights there. If you look at the back, the tape probably still has the wax paper on it, not yet pulled to be used. Are they really flexible like the other lead ones that are not so shiney?

Those look a lot like shiney new fresh-cast boolits to me.
    Yeah, they're brand new and definately lead, way too soft to be anything else. I removed the paper off the back, but they're new. I'll melt 'em down separate from the rest of my stick ons and see if theres a noticable difference in hardness. I don't have a tester tho, so it'll have to be a half-azzed fingernail test...

Thanks all for the info. I'll post back up when I melt 'em down...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10

Boolit Buddy
    Thx for takin the time. Keep us posted. Someone get the man a tester. Valuable info gettin ready to be had.

Boolit Master

They chrome plate plastic , It is not a molten metal process.