Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: I've been looking for one of these.......

Boolit Grand Master

I've been looking for one of these.......

After a 4 yr. search, I finally found this rifle yesterday. EAA said they would import them several yrs. ago, but never did. Most Remington stocking dealers have never even heard of it. It is the Baikal IZH - 18, imported by Remington now. Mine is in 308 Win, but it is made in other calibers. ( A poor man's # 1.) I have my Leupold 2 - 7 Variable on the rifle in Millet rings. Can't wait to shoot it ! ! I've got several cast loads to try in the rifle.

Links to photos:

Last edited by Ben; 11-09-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's a nice-looking rifle, for sure! I hope the eye relief works out OK on that scope--there's not a lot of flexibility with the mount system shown.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Yep'
    A set of extension rings would shure come in handy.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master
    AL :

Yes, I was a little leary about that issue as well. However with my Leuopold 2 - 7 Var. ( about ideal for hunting here in AL ) it seems to give me a full clear field of view each time I throw the rifle up and look through the scope. If I changed scopes ( which I probably won't do ), I might very well need some extension rings.

Next, is the " Baptism of fire ", will it shoot some of my many ( 12 + ) favorite .30 cal cast bullet designs. All my nose riders are engraving well on the nose as you can see in the photo above. I'd interpet that as a good early sign prior to anything.

Thanks again Deputy AL. for helping me out on the " sour mold deal " a few months ago with the fellow who wouldn't pay up.........! ! I might very well of not ever received my $$$ without you and several others on this board who pitched in and helped out.

Best,

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-14-2006 at 03:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    No sweat, Ben.

I think a lot of European riflemakers consider scopes an afterthought, and as a little-used accessory item. CZ's line of centerfire and and rimfire rifles that come sans iron sights are labeled "American"--and there may be some significance to that nomenclature that eludes us here on this side of the Atlantic.

The Leupold 2x-7x at my house dwells atop my CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62. It is the first 2x-7x scope I've ever owned, and I think it is a step above the several 3x-9x optics I've used for years.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    I too like my 2 X - 7X Leupold, AL.

I certainly hope my little rifle shoots, we'll see.............

Ben

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My first Leupold was a VariX11 2-7, the old one with the small objective. Been mounted on more rifles, mostly big kickers than I can recall, on a 3006 that has has a 1000+ J bullets going hel for leather. Not a problem. This scope made me use Leupold as my first choice.

That rifle looks like fun, the lands look like they have an abrupt start though.

Who would have thought it a few years ago, a Ruskie rifle on sale in the ststes with Remington's name on it, not me!

Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    Business and politics both result in " Strange Bed Fellows."
    I would have never believed that I'd seen a 98' Mauser with Remington's name on it........Now the Remington Model 798.

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Well thats made in the old Yugoslavia, they were also our allies, with Tito at the lead in the resistance. There is a great book (out of print, but I saw several for sale on ebay, etc) by Fitzroy McLean or MacLean called Eastern Approaches. He was one of the founding officers in the long range desert patrol, which became the SAS and then when Africa was over they dropped him in Yugoslavia to mentor Tito, also covers his travels prior to the war in the old Mongolian countries, top read. Sorry, not meaning to hijack your thread, but it is such a top book, my most prized book (on a par with Elmer's Sixguns as far as prized ownership goes).
    Mick.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 11-09-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo, again not just four fingers, but silly fingers!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."