Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Here is the write-up "My homemade black powder"

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone ever make granules big enough for cannons? Say 2.5" bore. Something to replicate Goex Cannon?

Boolit Master

This is a really cool write up. Thanx..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I wonder if hackberry would make good charcoal for powder? It’s a very soft wood and grows pretty much everywhere in the south.

Boolit Master
    Just visited the first page with the original recipie. The Science seems solid.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 01-05-2022 at 10:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    all I can say is "guilty as charged your honour"

saw a thread on another forum with a link to ?Eric bristlers?? page on handgommes and making black powder...... and set to it with a will.
    no ball mill in my back yard but I did have a meatdish/roasting dish and head off a sledgehammer, so using it like a pestal n mortar (think of Granny crushing up asprin) I put my charcoal in dish and crushed it,took about an hour to do...first batch I used crack willow,then thought about New Zealand native trees and found a bit of totara...very fast burning,very light,very sparky when burning.... that made heavier powder that burns well.
    strange how origonal posts recipe has things really cold,as Ive seen recipe the opposite,where you are using boiling urine to wet stuff down,I tried the urine bit...nah a bit whiffy for my liking so just used hot water from the kettle for 2nd batch.... worked fine. by only wetting mixture to a tooth paste consistancy it dried out in sunlight in a few hours spread thinly on cardboard (oh boy did the cardboard burn well afterwards) I do not own a chronicgraph so have no idea how fast or slow the 400grn cast projectiles are going...but they hit hard and the wee cloud of smoke is rewarding,very noticable in dark forest/bush setting.
    I was warned I would struggle to fit much HRBP (home rolled BP) into a .45/70 case...so far the most Ive managed is 65grns... so its not to bad... and that is more than enough for my needs.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213