Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Go to" .45 Colt load

.45 Colt Loads

My favorite .45 Colt Loads for plinking or SD in the Woods is either the Lyman 452664, 250 grain RNFP or Lee's .45-250-RNFP on top of 9.0 grains of Alliant's Unique. These shoot with deadly accuracy out of my Anaconda.

With my SAA's using Black Powder in the .45 Colt Case, it's 40 grains Goex 2Fg Compressed to seat the 250 grain PRS Big Lube Boolit touched off with a magnum Large Pistol primer. If using the Schofield case, it's 30 grains of compressed Goex 2Fg and the same PRS big Lube boolit or the Lyman 454190.

For real serious work it's 17.5 grains of 2400 and the Lyman 454424 Kieth style SWC or Lyman's 452490 gas checked SWC. Both are hard hitting and very accurate.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Rocky .... That load in my lever action rifle with a 24" barrel chronographs right at 1375 fps. I use Rem. LP primers & cases & Emert's lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a lot of love out there for the 45 Colt and the Winchester hyphenated WCF calibers. Every time a thread starts with an info request or an announcement of GREAT work downrange, we all chime in fondly with our own comments about these classics.

The 45 Colt is one of two centerfire handgun calibers I will NEVER be without. I cannot recall a time since the early 1980s when at least one 45 Colt revolver was not in my gun safe. The caliber is just too darn useful and too darn user-friendly not to have on board.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thanks, oksmle. That sounds about right. A slammer, ain't it?

"A slammer, ain't it? "

Yep.... On both ends!

oksmle;

Howdy, I use 17grns in my Rossi 92 and love it, do you shoot that same load in any handguns?
    "Draw Me Not Without reason, Sheath Me Not Without HONOR".

"do you shoot that same load in any handguns? "

Yep... SAA with 7 1/2" barrel. And after one cylinder full I'm ready to put it down. But it is the load I carry in both my revolver & rifle while in my truck.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, again, Gentlemen.
    Ray, I'll see what I can do to post a photo, but I don't know how and have no photos "in stock". Hell, the only camera i own is in my iphone. Please bear with me while I figger out the process.

Since this forum is so hung up on telling cast from jacketed, shouldn't those be peechers?

(Feeling a bit ornery with today's chill factor, I guess.)

There is a lot of love out there for the 45 Colt and the Winchester hyphenated WCF calibers. Every time a thread starts with an info request or an announcement of GREAT work downrange, we all chime in fondly with our own comments about these classics.

The 45 Colt is one of two centerfire handgun calibers I will NEVER be without. I cannot recall a time since the early 1980s when at least one 45 Colt revolver was not in my gun safe. The caliber is just too darn useful and too darn user-friendly not to have on board.
    I am trying very hard to love it but it does not always reciprocate. I have two Ruger convertibles that have been cylindersmithed and I have tried a bunch of different loads in. So far the acp cylinders way out shoot the colt cylinders. I love the idea of a big flat faced boolit lopeing along at 850-950 taking care of business but the accuracy is eluding me. .44 special is positivly friendly in comparison. I am not done working yet but it does get discouraging at times.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    The Ruger issues are why I have a USFA revolver...

Ruger issues?

My Ruger issues are mine love heavy bullets a 340 gr bullet on top of 9-10 grains is scary accurate and I can shoot them all day. At the end of the all I have left is a bright shiny barrel.20 .5 of 296 has some recoil but not out of control and it definately hits hard. It's pretty hard to find a load that does not shoot good with that boolit

Rocky should be much happier today it almost made it to 30 nice T shirt weather

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    Since this forum is so hung up on telling cast from jacketed, shouldn't those be peechers?

(Feeling a bit ornery with today's chill factor, I guess.)
    I guess so.

I've noticed several individuals who have complained about the spelling of bullets. At least you did your's here.

What some fail to understand is there is a very good reason that humans name things. Without an individual name for each item we must deal with in life, things get very confusing very quickly.

This site is all about casting, and the term 'bullet' is not specific enough to seperate jacketed from cast. Certainly we can say 'cast bullet', but boolit is shorter. It's also very creative.

You'd think a writer would know all this, but apparently not as the only two people I've seen complain are you and Fryxell.

Since you didn't include any smileys with your post one must take your post at face value. Or maybe you don't like them either. Who can tell?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Perhaps we writers tend to be more punctilious in our language use. I merely note that the forum has no such affectations regarding black and smokeless powders, or between pistols and revolvers - or between film and digital photos.

Any votes for pouder, or peestils or peechers? No? But how will we know what we're talking about? Shouldn't we then have a name for cast roundballs? BoOolits, perhaps? So we can tell them from elongated ones, you know?

As you can tell, I still think the use of "boolits" is little more than childish. "Wee-wee" is a clever made-up word, too. But not for adults.

I don't imagine the board will change on my account or any other. But I reserve the right to snicker up my sleeve. I also reserve the right to write ... right.

Boolit Grand Master
    my go to Colt load is
    26.0 gr h110 under a 275 gr Accurate Molds gas checked Boolit
    brought to life by a win or cci cap
    Last edited by white eagle; 02-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by rocky raab View Post
    perhaps we writers tend to be more punctilious in our language use. I merely note that the forum has no such affectations regarding black and smokeless powders, or between pistols and revolvers - or between film and digital photos.

Any votes for pouder, or peestils or peechers? No? But how will we know what we're talking about? Shouldn't we then have a name for cast roundballs? Booolits, perhaps? So we can tell them from elongated ones, you know?

As you can tell, i still think the use of "boolits" is little more than childish. "wee-wee" is a clever made-up word, too. But not for adults.

I don't imagine the board will change on my account or any other. But i reserve the right to snicker up my sleeve. I also reserve the right to write ... Right.

That's funny Rocky. I don't let it ruin my day, but I've been writing "bullets" for a long time too.

14gr. Blue Dot under Lee 452-252-SWC 97/1.5/1.5 Bhn15 for around 1100 fps. is my new accuracy load.
    Last edited by Wireman134; 03-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.

another neeeeet-o thread about to go to heck.

jees man the 45 canon is just the shis-nits. my first was a hundred years ago...give er take and it were a colt model p. then came the first to me ruger in around '72' i think. then a chrome looooong barrel that i cant seem to remember the brand. then another ruger that i snipped the barel on then salvaged the sight and had a smith friend re-silver solder it on. then went to several 357 guns and a few 45 autos. then more then a few 44mag's one of witch was a 5 screw hand built smith that i used foolishly for a down payment on a couple acres. then back i came to the old colt round...so as you can see ive had a few and the best by far load ive used is 8 to 8.5gr of unique with either a 250 or a 255gr boolits/bullets. the best revolver i ever had was the ruger i hacked the barrel off at the end of the ejector housing and havin the sight re-installed. i used to set a beverage can up on the hill behind the house and from around 40 or 50 feet id shoot the thing so it would roll down the hill and hit it 3 -4 times before it got to the bottom of the hill.

very fun cartridge and its my hope that the posts stay civil here and that more info then sarcasm comes hensforth. and yes my spelling could be better but last i checked we are just some coots chatting about guns and swapping lies about our self-important positions in life....by tha by you can call me MR. PRESIDENT if you will...oops getting into another hot spot i spose.

Any of the bullets mentioned with 9 to 10 grains unique. Love the round, love the load.
    I've found that unless you find a finicky piece, about any .45 bullet from 200 through 270 grains is a pleasure to load and shoot.
    I've had very satisfactory results with semi wadcutters and RNs and TC from my ACP stck when I was out of normal 250 grain Cold slugs.
    The 250 grain SWC bullets from my new Mihec 4 cavity brass mold should do as well.
    Plan to go pig chasing next weekendwith this bullet pushed with 10grains unique.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast