MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Shot "new" 1903 A3 first time yesterday

Boolit Buddy

Shot "new" 1903 A3 first time yesterday

Sold my "old" A3 yesterday. It had a unissued barrel and shot really well. Then bought the "new" one.

The "new" one is real veteran. It is a Aug. 1943 rifle with a June 1943 four groove barrel. I cleaned the barrel and it was bright and shiny with very distinct rifling at the throat and muzzle.

I set up on bags at a hundred yards and shot one shot of the 16 gr of 2400 and Lee 312-155 loads. The sight was at it's lowest setting and the shot went under the target. I slid the sight up, like on the "old" rifle and the next shot was almost dead center. A third shot confirmed that but it looked like I had a 2" group going so I slid the sight down a bit and fired five shots. The group is posted below.

Well, allright then! Yeah, that's what I'm talk'in about.

Forgot to take higher magnification, dollar store, glasses, so I had at least three front sights to choose from. That makes it hard to hold side to side. The light was fading, the more the pupils open up the more blurry the image is but I can tell that It's going to be a shooter. The accuracy potential of those Boolits is confirmed too. Lee may have designed them for the SKS and AK 47 but they work pretty well in the 03 too.

I cast 60 this afternoon and will cast more tomorrow and then off for a road-test!

Mike S

Boolit Master
    Looks like your new 03A3 shoots great from the beginning.

Nice group you got going for you there Mike.

Super Moderator

.............Mike, at 100? Dude, you're home free man Had you gotten in on the group buy for that Lee design? Bummer if ya didn't. My Krag likes that Lee 155gr slug too.

You oughta get in on the current Lee GB for the 6 cav 311407 Loverin. Be tits in your 'Sprangfield'!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Mike:

That's about what I expect from that load with service sights. Ideal 311291 or Lee C312185R with 15 or 16 grains of 2400 will hold together to clean the MR-52 target at 200 yards if you watch the wind.

This load with 4895 extends the range out to 300 yards. The first shot (low) was with the elevation set at 700 yards.

This rifle has provisions for scope mounting, and look what happens:

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Mike good shooting. Got to love those 03A3s. I have two, a Rem and a S.C. . The more you shoot it the more you will like it.

Boolit Buddy
    Love em and shoot em.

Bob S, those are mighty fine targets.