Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Question for Remington collectors/shooters

Question for Remington collectors/shooters

What's the difference between an M14 and an M141 and how do they compare to an M760 in terms of strength (all in .35R)? Can I load an M760 in .35R up to or beyond pressures levels that are safe for a .35-336?

MJ

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The rem 760 pump is one strong gun. I'd say equal to a good bolt gun. Rotating bolt with 4 locking lugs if I remember correctly. I'd pick that one up in a NYS if I were you. ... felix
    felix

model 14

Made from about 1912 to 1935 in four grades. Bead front adjustable rear "adjustable with a rotating disc for elevation changes". 22" barrel Slide action hamerless takedown, 5 shot tubular mag "spirial type" Chambered in 25, 30, 32 and 35rem.

Model 141 gamemaster

Made from 1936 to 1942 and 1946 to 1950 in four grades. ramp front adjustable rear sights. 24" round barrel. slide action hammerless takedown. 5 shot tubular mag "spirial type". chambered in 30, 32 and 35 rem.

As far as pressures for 35 rem.....i'd stick to the manuals for all the models.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    The rem 760 pump is one strong gun. I'd say equal to a good bolt gun. Rotating bolt with 4 locking lugs if I remember correctly. I'd pick that one up in a NYS if I were you. ... felix
    Felix,

What are the 760 triggers like? Can they be adjusted down to a couple pounds safely?

MJ

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Triggers are clean, and around 4 or 5 pounds if I remember correctly. Fine for a hunting gun. No adjustments that I know of. I had one in 300 savage ???, and another in 30-06 for sure. Still have the latter one in the family if it hasn't been sold or traded by my brothers. The downside is that the gun itself is heavier than a lever gun. ... felix
    felix

Felix,

I think I'll keep my eyes open for a 760 in .35W.

MJ

Boolit Master
    QUOTE=Marlin Junky;116283] Can I load an M760 in .35R up to or beyond pressures levels that are safe for a .35-336?
    MJ[/QUOTE]

The short answer is "Yes, BUT..."
    The 760 IS a strong action and can handle 50K cartridges, but don't forget that the cartridge case itself is part of the gas containment system, and .35 Remington cases may not be as thick and strong in the head area as cases normally meant for that kind of pressure. Choose your brass carefully, and inspect fired cases witn a bent toward paranoia.
    You also must consider the possibility that your loads will be fired in some other gun. I sometimes load for my 788 .30-30 to pressures beyond the books, and even use pointed bullets. Those loads give impressive results in accuracy and terminal ballistics, but would be very dangerous in a lever gun. I always use prominent labels on containers of those loads - "WARNING - NOT SAFE TO FIRE" just in case they should fall into the hands of one of my hunting buddies or... ?
    Loading "beyond the book" can in rare circumstances be safe and rewarding, but it's only for experienced hands. The process of working up loads using subjective pressure signs is about half science and half black art, but it CAN be done - especially in strong rifles. If you start down that road, you're on your own - and you're the one with his tail hanging out in the breeze!