RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 colt and H110

45 colt and H110

I'm working on a load for my ruger with the 255 lee plain base mold.
    I want to use h110 but can't find load data for this boolit weight with cast.

Hodgedon's site has 21 grains starting load under a 325 grain boolit.

It also has a starting load of 23.5 grains under a 260 grain jacketed bullet.

Should I use the load for the jacketed bullet to start with?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used 23.5 with a 265 bullet in my Ruger . It was a real wrist snapper of a load too. I far prefer my 44 mag SRH to the 4.625 inch black hawk in 45 colt for heavy loads. I got good accuracy, once I worked up to the recoil, but have since decided I don't need the velocity gains in that gun. I just use a 290 at 900 fps now, easier on my wrists and much less blast.
    Not sure that is the best bullet for heavy loads of H110 but it doesn't hurt to try it. Just be sure your throats are big enough. Mine were .449 and it leaded horribly. Opened up to .452 and no more leading. Seems Ruger likes the small throats in this caliber.

Boolit Master
    Don't load down for sure as you'll end up with hang fires and have to drive the boolit out with a brass rod or wooden dowel or worse yet fire another down the tube and have a KABOOM. Jacketed bullets are harder than cast so there is less pressures associated with a cast boolit. I would work in the middle of 260 grain jacketed info and work up or better yet work in the lower end of 250 grain jacketed info, probably around 25 grains of H110. I'm assuming you are using a Ruger firearm???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Seems Ruger likes the small throats in this caliber.
    They sure did screw the pooch on many 45 colts thats for sure.

Yeah it's a ruger blackhawk 45 convertible.
    I was thinking about starting with 23 grains and working up in .2 grain increments for accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I would start at least the min load of a 260 grain J and take a wooden dowel or brass rod with you to shoot. If for any reason you think a round is funny stop and check things out. I really feel that 23 grains is a bit light.

I reload for the casull and ball powders have always been an all out or no go for me. Even after changing my brass over to large pistol primer pockets it still is on the upper ends of load data or I will often times end up with hang fires or squibs.

Hopefully others will chime in here for you in regards to your paticular boolit/load.

Boolit Master

I've loaded 255 grain commercial SWC's with 25.0 grains of 296 and a Federal "benchrest" LPM primer. Shot good, but I just didn't like burning that much powder in one shot, and I haven't gotten back around to it yet.

I wouldn't start below 24 if I were you. Make sure your neck tension and crimp are *really* tight, especially with the lighter loads.

(16.5 grains of Blue Dot is also a good one)

Boolit Master
    I tried to load H-110 in 45 colt many years ago in a ruger BH. That powder never did develope enough pressure to burn correctly. I would recommend (and it is just a recomendation) to stay away from H-110 in the 45 colt. Try any of the load data for Blue Dot. I dont remember my load, but a 260 gr cast HP over the Blue Dot is AWESOME!! Both in perfomance and in killin power. Not as sensitive about pressure either.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Plus 1 on the Blue Dot - 16.0 grs with a 250 grain Lee SWC 1250 fps. Will split some cases if your chambers are too large (standard -.486" is too large).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Plus 1 on the Blue Dot - 16.0 grs with a 250 grain Lee SWC 1250 fps. Will split some cases if your chambers are too large (standard -.486" is too large).
    It is a Ruger, what do you mean IF? My Ruger has chambers the size of Texas. Sadly, my Marlin 1894 is no better. When I get a split, I get a split. Like down the length of the case. Good news is, I seem to get 15 or so loads on Starline brass before this happens. Been using the same 500 cases for better than 10 years and have not really lost that many, maybe 20 to 40.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    It is a Ruger, what do you mean IF? My Ruger has chambers the size of Texas. Sadly, my Marlin 1894 is no better. When I get a split, I get a split. Like down the length of the case. Good news is, I seem to get 15 or so loads on Starline brass before this happens. Been using the same 500 cases for better than 10 years and have not really lost that many, maybe 20 to 40.
    BooBoo, iffn you gettin splits, even ONE, H-110 is a recipie for disaster. No doubt about it. H-110 ONLY operates at maximums. I know you are using fireformed cases, but even so, they are probably stretched already. If you are set on using H-110, maybe trade for about 20 or so 454 casull cases. Trim them and this solves several problems..... 1) They are MADE for magnum pressures. 2) They are marked differently so it is easy to keep em seperate from regular 45 Colt loads. What you are wanting is possible, but I recommend the different cases. Just a little extra safety there.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

Linebaugh goes up to 27.0 grains with a 260 lead

That load is really a handful.

Do the 454 cases have a different internal capacity than 45 colt cases ?
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had hangfires and pops along with stuck boolits with a
    250 gr'r so beware
    the charge was 26 gr of h110 and a cci cap
    just had to pound out a boolit yesterday that got stuck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I've used the 454 cases from Hornady, and have found stretch marks at the base. The unfired brass is smaller in diameter as well as harder than the normal Colt cases making these features worse for our lousy Colt chambers. The industry spec for the 454 chamber is three thousands SMALLER than for the Colt chamber. Heavy loads for the Colt chamber should only be used when required without regard for the brass on hand. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

What difference does a split case make in a revolver?

I do wonder about splits in a '94 lever action though; where does the escaping hot gas go in that one? In my face, or down the barrel? I'm trying to visualize the action and I can't think of anyplace else for it to go, the ejection port is closed and the loading gate is closed.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure any gas really leaks, I have never fired a pistol, or revolver and noticed anything that would warn me I split a case (bad or worn out brass). It might be that the case still mostly seals ?

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master
    the only split cases I have encountered have been new Starline
    brass in 44 mag other than that age probably wears em out
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You can possibly get gas cutting of the firearm, and accuracy will be poor.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have seen cases split in 44 magnum, 357, 45 acp, and even 357 maximum.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master
    They split after many, many , loads in Ruger and Marlin way oversize chambers. It is not pressure, it is work hardened brass. I have never measured them but I would not be surprised to find that my cases get sized down by 25 thou or more each loading, then expanded that much again on firing.
    I have done what Felix said, reserve heavy loads for when they are warranted. I have gone to more moderate loads for both guns, they work for about any need. I no longer see a need for max velocities in my 45 colts, I have other guns for those needs.
    Will bird is right, I have gotten splits in 38 special even, and I don't even use +p loads. Just my fat Ruger chambers at work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast