Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    To make Dextrin.
    I get Corn Starch and spread it out on to a cookie sheet.
    I place it in my oven at 400 degrees and watch it closely.
    You want the corn starch to Start Toasting on top.
    Then mix it up with a fork and spatula.
    Then let it toast some more.
    Do this a couple of times untill all the corn starch is Golden Brown but not burnt.
    Or you can just order Dextrin on line from pyrotechnic suppliers.
    Just the shipping costs will be double what a can of corn starch will cost you at a grocery store.
    I have also toasted Dextrin in a cast iron skillet on the stove.

Boolit Master
    @Richard66

Get this, it's cheap and ready to use. Five bucks worth will last you forever, and it makes really tough grains.

https://www.fireworkscookbook.com/pr...e-starch-sgrs/

Do your milling, then add 2% by weight of the rice starch for the last hour. Make sure all your ingredients are bone dry.

Good luck,
    Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Bub
    OK thanks to everyone for helping me get this process going in the right direction I am milling now so I will try the corn starch because I have some on hand and will order the rice starch and try it also will let you know how it works for me

Good to know, thank you.

Boolit Master
    Yep. Good luck. You're going to like this new hobby/source of black powder.

Be safe.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard66 View Post
    The more I read more questions INDIAN JOE said corn dextrin I have Equate dextrin that only says dextrin as the only ingredient does this work ok or is corn dextrin different
    Richard, I saw this when reading back, catching up. I don't think anyone answered you, but if you have Equate Dextrin, you're good to go. Some of us make it because corn starch is so cheap and making it is easy. But yours already is what ours is, after we make it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    Richard, I saw this when reading back, catching up. I don't think anyone answered you, but if you have Equate Dextrin, you're good to go. Some of us make it because corn starch is so cheap and making it is easy. But yours already is what ours is, after we make it.
    Thank You I have corn starch also and ordered rice starch last night so I should be good to try all three if needed

Boolit Master
    Do yourself a favor and be sure to try the rice starch. I'm quite impressed with it myself and don't use anything else now. I've tried them all...

Anyone agree with me, to set the new guy(s) off on the right foot? Yes, Dextrin works, but MGRS makes incredibly durable grains.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Vettepilot;
    Are you aware of any tests with SGRS, or MGRS, affects on burn rates? I know above 2%, Dextrin begins to slow powder down. I have not made screened powder for 3+ years, but I bet the SGRS does make durable grains. Just wondering if in your reading, you had seen a test.

I went to the range yesterday and tested 4 loads for POI v POA in my Rem NMA w/.45 Colt conversion cylinder. Three were Pyrodex, but one was my homebrewed, screened BP. At 7 yards, the Pyro loads all shot about 2 inches high, but groups were in line horizontally. My powder shot almost to POA, but a bit right, probably caused by me. At about 85% density (35 measured grains = 29 weighed grains), my powder produced a 5 shot average of 600 fps vs 825 for 30 gr Pyrodex RS with a 230 grain bullet. I'm not bragging, but I do know that if powder becomes unavailable, I can still make usable ammo. I owe everyone here a big thank you for that.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Do yourself a favor and be sure to try the rice starch. I'm quite impressed with it myself and don't use anything else now. I've tried them all...

Anyone agree with me, to set the new guy(s) off on the right foot? Yes, Dextrin works, but MGRS makes incredibly durable grains.

Vettepilot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rice flour.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	299943

this stuff from the grocery store?

watched a you tube video this morning - looks impressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henryinpanama View Post
    I went to the range yesterday and tested 4 loads for POI v POA in my Rem NMA w/.45 Colt conversion cylinder. Three were Pyrodex, but one was my homebrewed, screened BP. At 7 yards, the Pyro loads all shot about 2 inches high, but groups were in line horizontally. My powder shot almost to POA, but a bit right, probably caused by me. At about 85% density (35 measured grains = 29 weighed grains), my powder produced a 5 shot average of 600 fps vs 825 for 30 gr Pyrodex RS with a 230 grain bullet. I'm not bragging, but I do know that if powder becomes unavailable, I can still make usable ammo. I owe everyone here a big thank you for that.
    think you find as you continue experimenting that HM will take a lot more compression than Boughten powdr - we shoot screened in the cap pistols - just fill the chamber to the brim then compress with the loading lever before adding the ball - it squishes down easy - can not do that with commercial stuff - this gets 24-26 grains weight of screened into my 36 cal pocket colt - its plenty ! Can do the same in brass cases if you want - I have had 40 grains of screened into a 44/40 case (yeah somebody said ya cant do that!) - PITA loading - had to double compress, full the case, compress, add three grains, compress again, it was scrunchy but worked. If you pull down any old factory loaded BP cases that stuff is caked in there tight as can be.
    Blokes will tell ya the old cases were thinner, powder was denser than ours, well yeah maybe a bit - but I reckon mostly they just leaned on it and made it fit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rice flour.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	299943

this stuff from the grocery store?

watched a you tube video this morning - looks impressive.
    I'm not sure if that would work or not Indian Joe. What I had researched, and use, is MGRS or Mono Glutinous Rice Starch. I don't know if "Flour" would work the same...?

I'm surely happy with what I use! One of my original worries had always been break-down of the powder into fines over time/use. I don't worry any more...

Vettepilot

Boolit Buddy
    Hm. This thread is old, but I think I joined about Page 168 and here we are almost 300!

Boolit Master
    Interesting topic, especially when it’s mostly unavailable.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Interesting topic, especially when it’s mostly unavailable.
    Yup. Now I want to learn deep drawing to make caps and primer cups!

Boolit Master
    I'm thinkin' I got the "Chun-flu" here guys, seriously. So if ya don't hear much from me, that'll be why.

God, I've never hurt so badly/felt so miserable...

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I'm thinkin' I got the "Chun-flu" here guys, seriously. So if ya don't hear much from me, that'll be why.

Vettepilot
    sending PM - read it and act!!!

Boolit Bub
    got my rice starch today will try to get my powder mixed in next few days any see how it does will update later

Boolit Master

Vettepilot
    Sorry to hear you are sick, Robert. I sure hope you get better soon. I'll toss a prayer or two your way.
    Richard
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Page 299 of 410 FirstFirst ... 199249289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309349399 ... LastLast