Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    TrapperJack;
    I'd say you're on it! It sounds as though given equal weights, your powder is at least equal to Goex!
    The weight/volume you experienced is about normal, for what most have come up with, with screened and sifted homemade. My personal best powder was screened, and actually had 2% dextrin in it as a test. I still don't know why my non dextrin screened was slightly slower. Just recently, I figured that HM screened was nearly 1/3 more volume, than Swiss, of equal weights (60 grains).
    Congratulations on your test and I hope you have many more successes with it!
    Anywhere near a 3" 100 yard group would be welcome, for my tests so far.

Boolit Master
    I always test the Weight To Volume using a 100 gr Volume as the test point.
    Goex always seemed close to Weight to Volume.
    But my powders come out lower.
    Like my Screened is as low as 68 gr to 100 gr Volume
    My corned powder comes out as high as 89gr to a 100 gr Volume.
    Your powder divides out to 65.5 %
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-14-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I always test the Weight To Volume using a 100 gr Volume as the test point.
    Goex always seemed close to Weight to Volume.
    But my powders come out lower.
    Like my Screened is as low as 68 gr to 100 gr Volume
    My corned powder comes out as high as 89gr to a 100 gr Volume.
    Your powder divides out to 65.5 %
    Lags - your numbers pretty much what I am getting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper-Jack View Post
    I was able to do a little side by side test of my screened and sifted powder against Goex 2F in my Lyman GPR flintlock. The rifle is sighted in for a 50 yard zero. I sifted my powder to pass the 16 sieve and retained on the #30. I used Goex 4F as priming powder for both. Both powders were measured at 70 grains. The projectile was a patched, cast round ball. The range was 100 yards. I was shooting at a paper plate stapled to a cardboard backstop. The plate is the best I can see with open sights at that range. The test was not extensive as the wind came up and blew the backstop over, however the Goex printed approximately 6 inches low. I expected this. My 70 grains of measured home brew also hit 6 inches low from point of aim. All shots fell into a 3 1/2 inch group. After I gathered up my stuff and came in, I weighed the measured powder charges. The Goex weighed 71.7 grains. My homemade powder weighed 47 grains. I have always been under the impression that these powders equal in weight and not volume. My next testing will be at 150 yards and see how they compare. I'm extremely happy with this new hobby.
    Nice testing, and congrats!

Just to clarify; yeah, the screen processed powder will have more volume, or bulk, as it's not as dense.

Generally, if you have made good powder, screened powder will about equal commercial powder in power, when measured by weight, but this will be a greater volume. As has been stated, the volume increase necessary will be around 30 to 35% or so, (more or less), in order to equal the power of commercial powder. This is only for screened powder.

Pressed, or "corned" powder is more dense, and much closer in characteristics to commercial powder. In muzzleloader rifles, many prefer using the easier to make screened powder, because they can equal the power of commercial powder by just increasing the load, as those guns have plenty of chamber room to do so.

However, the increased density of corned, or pressed powder is more important in pistols or black power cartridge loading, as powder space is limited in those applications.

Edit to add: As far as where your shots actually printed with both powders, that's not always a good indication of power and velocity. In pistols for example, sometimes to get them to shoot higher, you actually reduce the charge. ("Barrel time" and recoil characteristics.)

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-15-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    Almar?
    Where's the new rifle report, sir?

Ah hey DB, still waiting on moulds and projectiles. Everything seems to be moving at a snails pace. In the mean time. I'm studying paper patching and made a drop tube.
    Last edited by almar; 12-16-2021 at 10:52 PM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    And maybe a blow tube?

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Ah hey DB, still waiting on moulds and projectiles. Everything seems to be moving at a snails pace. In the mean time. I'm studying paper patching and made a drop tube.
    I tried to imagine all the things you were probably doing, reading and making, concerning it. haha
    It'll be great to hear how well it does, when the time comes.
    Last edited by DoubleBuck; 12-31-2021 at 02:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    Say guys; Harbor Freight has the Dutch Oven like I've been happy with using to make charcoal with for only 24 bucks I noticed today. That's a steal if you've priced them elsewhere...

Vettepilot

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    I tried to imagine all the things you were probably doing, reading and making, concerning it. haha
    It'll be great to hear how well it does, when the time comes.
    Almar, you probably have more experience than I do, but something I found, making Mini' bullets. Lyman moulds are expensive, but they are also about as good as you can get, in my opinion. I have seen a lot of them unavailable and a bear to find, but I myself would hold out, to try to get one. Just a thought.
    Have you tried Accurate, NOE or miha moulds? They are a step or 2 above lyman, although i do like the lyman moulds i currently have, the aforementioned are like masterpieces of machinery. There is a 6 week lead time currently on Accurate but i gave CBE moulds a try in australia, they already shipped it but the package is stalled in Brisbane since monday. Available flights out are reduced for some reason.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Yeah, there's something going on with shipping and Australia, and maybe India too? I have been waiting for something from India for 6 weeks, and regarding Australia, I noticed some companies saying "We no longer ship to Australia".

Let's just blame Brandon...

;~)

Vettepilot

Alright alright, I have some massive boolits that just arrived. I might could be testing these soon.

edit:already done, 80 grains by volume of 1.5F at 1.55 g/cc sent a 500 gr 45 cal flying at 1322 fps, I could probably fit more in there but if accuracy is key I might not want to.
    Last edited by almar; 12-17-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Have you tried Accurate, NOE or miha moulds? They are a step or 2 above lyman, although i do like the lyman moulds i currently have, the aforementioned are like masterpieces of machinery. There is a 6 week lead time currently on Accurate but i gave CBE moulds a try in australia, they already shipped it but the package is stalled in Brisbane since monday. Available flights out are reduced for some reason.
    No, I haven't heard of any of the three. That's why I said you probably had more experience than I do. The only two I've used is Lyman and Lee. If they are more than the price of a Lyman, I probably never will use one either. Just saying. I only suggested it in case you were so excited you bought an available cheap mould you wouldn't be happy with. Looks like you have it covered without any help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Yeah, there's something going on with shipping and Australia, and maybe India too? I have been waiting for something from India for 6 weeks, and regarding Australia, I noticed some companies saying "We no longer ship to Australia".

Let's just blame Brandon...

;~)

Vettepilot
    theres some BS going on within the post office - lazy buggers in the sorting section blaming covid - keep tracking it - soon as the parcel moves it will be ok - adds a week internally

Boolit Buddy
    almar, you should do well with your CBE mold. They do very responsive and high quality custom work.
    I use all Lee for round ball and mostly they have been OK. I am getting fins that irritate the hell out of me on my 535 mold now though. For minie, the Lee is awful. Waaay too light.
    Last edited by ChrisPer; 12-17-2021 at 09:58 PM.

I never heard of cbe before. Indian joe recommended them on another thread. There is also buffalo arms company (baco) those are the most expensive molds I've seen so far. I'm not a fan of lee molds. They are delicate and are often miserable to work with I agree. When you try one of those pricey molds like accurate, it really spoils you.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Almar;
    I see you going the less density and larger grain. Is this on your Black Willow 'Brown'? And, what recipe, if you don't mind? And, what is your go/no go screen sizes? And, haha have you milled any different for the rifle?
    I ask because I'm fixing to mix up a batch from that charcoal and want to go 75/15/10 for at least 10 shots. Then I'm thinking of copying English Sporting 78/14/8 (if that was considered the best there was, I'd like to try a batch) And hot U.S. 78/12/10 (isn't this your mix, too?) If you have another suggestion, I'm in. I've got about 70 shots worth, give or take.
    BTW, congratulations on the 500 grain 1322. That's a quarter of a mile per sec and nearly a ton of energy!

DB: its black willow brown 76 14 10. The grain size is 12 mesh to 20. I milled it for 9 hours in my new mill and tested some 3f in my 45 colt, same results as my previous best batch so good to go. Good luck with your experiments. I used a 1.55 density and larger grains to minimize fouling as per the notes in the Waltham abbey book for the martini Henry. It seems to work well. I read reports on the shiloh sharps forum 75 grains of Swiss 1.5 f producing 1240 fps with a 500gr bullet in a 45-90 so my powder is doing well.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Almar;
    You have me convinced! I wrote the numbers down, and will give some of that a try. It may be a while, but I'll be getting to it.

Boolit Master
    Almost 100 fps faster with a 500 grain bullet is a good bit more energy. Nice!

1707 ft/lbs ---> 1940 ft/lbs.

http://www.ballistics101.com/muzzle_energy_calc.php

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-18-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Page 254 of 410 FirstFirst ... 154204244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264304354 ... LastLast