Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: My homemade black powder

That's exactly what I do. The weight of the water makes so little difference that is doesn't matter much as long as you stay within reasonable amounts. An entire gram of water will increase the density from 1.69 to 1.71 in a single puck of mine (3 inch diameter and I use 67 grams of powder or so). If you have that much water in there I thinks its too much. I personally only use only 2 sprays per pound. You just need to mix it in well. And to your point, it makes sense that time will also spread the moisture, but passing the mix through a 20 mesh screen works good enough for me.

I used that method a lot today and its gets me close to the desired target, I will get variations between 1.59 and 1.7 most in the middle. Once mixed in, the densities will average out. The more precise you are with the mark, the smaller that range will be. I need to pay attention because that compression occurs slowly over time so you can pass the mark easily. The more even your density is the more evenly your grains will burn.

Another point to note is that it may take some trial and error to get you right at the right range, not much, a few pucks will do. Theoretically I needed 74 grams, in reality I needed 67. Once you have that number though, its repetition.

Make sure that powder is spread out evenly in the die and that the ram is dead on center, you will be more accurate.

On a final note, have you ever measured the thickness of a puck before and after its dry?
    Last edited by almar; 11-01-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Ok, thanks Almar. No, never thought to measure a puck like that.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    mmb617;
    That video is what I'm talking about! Isolate the jigsaw from the closed in powder container and shake it baby!
    Who needs a ball mill? haha Throw the three ingredients on there and turn it on. They'll incorporate in about thirty seconds.
    "This is the new Ronco Automatic Powder Maker. With it, you can make Commercial Grade Black Powder, graded to your specifications, in under ten minutes. Guaranteed. Set it, and forget it! It will grind your charcoal to airfloat consistency, make face powder of your Sulfur and Nitrate and will incorporate them completely! And with the push of a button, this amazing machine will sift that perfect powder to the exact grade of your choice! No mess, no muss, no fuss! No more grinding! No more waiting hours and hours on an obsolete ball mill! No more choking minutes of grade screening! No more aching hands and tired back! No more tedium spent with presses, dies and inefficient puck breakers! This machine is the last purchase you will ever have to make, to achieve your dream of making the perfect homemade black powder in under 10 minutes! Get yours today, and......Set It And Forget It!
    DoubleBuck is not responsible for this add, nor it's contents. "

Boolit Master
    OMG... RONCO!

Yep, we're old.

;~)

Vettepilot

Are they still in biz? (Besides for the "Whizbang 2000 Ultimate Automatic Black Powder Maker.")

Boolit Master
    Vettepilot;
    haha,,yep. "Honey, I'm going to the store to purchase myself a new Whizbang 2000 Ultimate Automatic Black Powder Maker, with instructions!"

Boolit Buddy
    Vacuum drying is no fun. I tried it with books that had got wet. Froze them then put them in strong plastic bags and hooked up a fridge compressor, which evacuated them quickly. THEN I discovered that apparently impervious plastic bags are loaded with sub-pinhole size leaks. certainly didn't find my books dried well. I also tried freezing then opening the book and brushing the ice crystals off the pages, yes, tedious and didn't appear to win.

According to another person posting on black powder making - probably at amateur pyrotechnics forum? - he found that the earlier vacuum evaporating water chilled the remaining product so much that the rest of the water was hard to evaporate.

Right now I am hoping to get a cheap, small dehumidifier somewhere.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    Vettepilot;
    haha,,yep. "Honey, I'm going to the store to purchase myself a new Whizbang 2000 Ultimate Automatic Black Powder Maker, with instructions!"
    Isn't there a Thermomix attachment for that?

Boolit Buddy
    But yes, I am old too!

On the weekend I shot some tests of powder using my second charcoal batch, that I thought was overcooked. Its OK!
    55gn wt FF in a .54 round ball 1165-1227 fps, 10 shots. Grouping at 50m was awful.
    55 gn wt FFF as above. 1261-1307 fps 10 shots. Grouping was good, half the size.
    21 gn wt FFFF in .45 patch ball rifled percussion pistol 12 shots, first 891 fps, rest 985-1047 fps. Grouping unimpressive.

Got the 'brown' charcoal mix milled waiting for pucking but I am holding off while I get aluminum pistons for my tubes. The sand-filled resin ones have started breaking up and I want better.
    Last edited by ChrisPer; 11-01-2021 at 09:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Go to the store???

No, I think it's "Call now, operators are standing by!!"

Remember that?

;~)

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Hmmm... of course. The evaporating water would cool the substrate. However, with the tiny amount of moisture in our black powder, I don't think it would be a problem. This evaporative cooling is why most things you see on vacuum dehumidifying also mention heating in the setup.

A conventional dessicator is probably the way to go; probably the easiest. However, I've got vacuum pumps and have been wanting to make a chamber, so I'll probably give it a shot at some point.

My daughter likes science, and I've got all the pieces out in the shop to build a vacuum cannon. She'll get a kick out of that!!

Edit to add: I'm thinking the pyro guy was probably trying to quick dry BP that he had wetted down to granulate, as the pyro guys don't generally corn powder. Maybe vacuum drying our pressed pucks wouldn't encounter the cooling problem significantly, due to having much, much less moisture evaporating...

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 11-01-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPer View Post
    Isn't there a Thermomix attachment for that?
    Yes, there is! And, it really takes the work out of that nasty old cooking thing. Set it and forget it!
    ChrisPer, those speeds looked pretty impressive to me! It looks like you have it going on!

Boolit Master
    Almar;
    You asked if VettePilot had ever measured a puck before and after drying? Have you? I tried it once and couldn't conclude a measurable difference. I only tried it one time and that was a couple of years ago. Don't know if the powder was dense enough, before measuring. And, I don't think it was, knowing what I know now. Now I just dry it until it quits losing weight. But I've wondered if the moisture affects the density, when it leaves. If that was your thoughts, as well. My feeble thought is, it must give a false high density, by the amount (weight) of the moisture. But if measured correctly and the puck changes dimensions wet to dry, then density would remain constant, or could. It would seem to me to have to be one or the other.

Boolit Master
    Interesting thoughts, as always here...

I surely appreciate and enjoy this forum and thread. Thanks to all for your contributions!

Vettepilot

I noticed that mine swell just slightly, maybe .010 to .020 or so. Maybe it springs back a little like a stress relief of sorts, when heated for drying or simply the material relaxing. No biggie, just something i noticed, wondering if others had noticed it too.
    Last edited by almar; 11-02-2021 at 07:04 AM.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPer View Post
    Right now I am hoping to get a cheap, small dehumidifier somewhere.
    I got this one and it seems to be working well for me:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO0ZR7I...roduct_details

I can put 4 of my 3 inch pucks in each tray without crowding and by staggering them between trays still get good air circulation. So I'm able to dry 20 pucks at a time. I was letting them in for 48 hours as it seemed like the puck weight was stabilized by then but the pucks seem harder, which I interpret as dryer, if I leave them in for 72 hours.

At the range yesterday with what I call 3f (pass through a 20 screen but not a 40 screen) as the main charge and my 4f (pass through a 40 screen but not a 60 screen) in the pan, all went well.

I was having some flow problems with the 3f in my flask and the 4f in my pan primer earlier but since I started shaking my screens longer and more aggressively they are both flowing as well as commercial powder now.

Being quite new to this whole process I am very pleased with the results so far.

Boolit Master
    mmb617;
    Congratulations on your success, and keep up the good work! I would say you are rightfully pleased!

Boolit Buddy
    That video is what I'm talking about! Isolate the jigsaw from the closed in powder container and shake it baby!
    Who needs a ball mill? haha Throw the three ingredients on there and turn it on. They'll incorporate in about thirty seconds.
    "This is the new Ronco Automatic Powder Maker. With it, you can make Commercial Grade Black Powder, graded to your specifications, in under ten minutes. Guaranteed. Set it, and forget it! It will grind your charcoal to airfloat consistency, make face powder of your Sulfur and Nitrate and will incorporate them completely! And with the push of a button, this amazing machine will sift that perfect powder to the exact grade of your choice! No mess, no muss, no fuss! No more grinding! No more waiting hours and hours on an obsolete ball mill! No more choking minutes of grade screening! No more aching hands and tired back! No more tedium spent with presses, dies and inefficient puck breakers! This machine is the last purchase you will ever have to make, to achieve your dream of making the perfect homemade black powder in under 10 minutes! Get yours today, and......Set It And Forget It!
    DoubleBuck is not responsible for this add, nor it's contents. "
    You joke, but this is exactly the kind of machine I envision. In theory, it should be possible to create a machine that takes as input the 3 raw ingredients, pulverizes them, incorporates them, and presses them, all automatically.

Since the pucks need to dry, you could then have a second machine that breaks up the pucks, grinds, and sorts.

Steve

Boolit Master
    Maillemaker;
    It was a joke, but I'm impressed that someone hasn't made it, over the last 900 years. If we can go to the Moon, Mars and the bottom of the Ocean, we should be able to have a 10 minute automatic Powder Maker. The word is, it ain't Rocket Science....
    If you build it, they will come and I will be leading the scramble, to buy the first one, from you! Make is so, #1!!!
    Actually, if we all got together, we could probably make ourselves rich, by incorporating "My Homemade Black Powder" and producing the first fully automatic Black Powder Manufacturing Machine. With instructions.

Boolit Master
    Hey, a really good machine won't even need those instructions. Just shovel in some bat poop, sulphur, and tree branches, and come back the next day to pick up your bottles of ACME POWDER!!

But remember, the Coyote never did win...

;~)

Vettepilot

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    Maillemaker;

Actually, if we all got together, we could probably make ourselves rich, by incorporating "My Homemade Black Powder" and producing the first fully automatic Black Powder Manufacturing Machine. With instructions.
    But then the lawyers would bankrupt us when some idiot didn't follow the instructions and got hurt.

On another note, my attempt to shake the screen stack using a jigsaw didn't really work very well. Now I'm working on plan B which involves using the vibratory tumbler I have for cleaning cases for reloading and it's showing promise. I'm working on being able to use the same base for both jobs and not having to buy another unit. If I get it to work satisfactorily I'll post more details.

Page 239 of 411 FirstFirst ... 139189229230231232233234235236237238239240241242243244245246247248249289339 ... LastLast