Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Mr.Marko...thats very awesome and resourceful of you! Youre living my dream up in alaska. I wnvy you my friend. Mr. Dirtykurty, would you happen to have a chrono? Id sure like seeing the speed difference etc.

Boolit Master
    I know I'm pathetic, Fly.... I was just "wishin' and hopin"... I got lots of dying ash... already dropped close to 30 trees on my two acres...I gave almost all of it away before starting on making BP.. bought me a fire pit for the patio and have been making charcoal out of the red cedar chips like you suggested... how do you know if it is overcooked? I take it off when the smoke pretty much stops coming out of the vent hole...
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Seems like Old Drag Racers end up making Black Powder.
    I too went on the Circuit as a Mechanic for a Pro Stocker back in the '70's.
    And Fly.
    Drag Racing, just ain't what it use to be.
    I also am an old drag racer. Many happy hours racing, and late nights building cars and engines. Wow, the memories! I am restoring a VW Baja bug now, and an '87 Vette. The Vette is getting a 454, just 'cause I always wanted a Big Block Vette!

Yeah, It's definitely not like it used to be. 99% can't afford class racing, and now bracket racing requires big bucks spent on gear and electronics to be competitive.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Bub
    Hey Fly... No binders anymore.. 20 tons at 2 minute dwell yields 1.73 grams/cc. When dry. I really need to finish my S.S. grinder. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_132418(1).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	243296

Boolit Bub
    Yes i have a chrono. Haven't set my range for it. Maybe in a day or two. Wouldn't be a challenge if i didnt know my speeds. .. Go Speed Racer. Did i start a hack sessoon..oops

Boolit Bub
    Forced air induction with electronic shift on the fly: Motor mounted at -13 degrees for maximum traction. Soup can lid held on with wooden peg ust in case you would like to make your own thermal reduction Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_184625(1).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	243301system . Dang i make myself laugh.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_184615(1).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	243302Tooo Funny. Dont knock it till you try it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I think I have mentioned this before in this thread.... You guys are wierdo’s.... that thing looks like a tourture device... lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    I was always under the assumption that you dont have to let the wood sit to dry when it comes to making charcoal. I havent noticed a difference between wood that has been left to air dry or the same freshly cut wood as far as making it into charcoal, it performed the same. Does everyone dry their wood first? Have i been doing it wrong this whole time? Cuz i put wet or dry wood into the retort for my charcoal...although i wont mix them in the retort due to i dont want to over cook my dry wood waiting for my wet wood to turn to charcoal. (I assumed the dry wood takes less time to turn into charcoal). So what do you all say/do?
    I use Tree of Heaven. It's nasty to peel when green. But I left mine set a season and it dried out. The wood shrunk back from the bark and it peeled right off without that nasty smell. It cooked down just fine dry...took about 90 minutes in an 8 quart SS pot that I use as a retort. I have two 1/2" holes drilled in the lid. It lets the steam/smoke out but doesn't allow much air in to create ash. Afterall...its the charcoal that we want not ash. Cooking it green works fine...just takes longer to get the moisture out of the wood first.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    You must be a wierdo to do what we do.

Fly

Boolit Bub
    Wow...We have this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_210935(1).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	243303all through our property..Alder Buckthorn.

Boolit Bub
    Is Buckthorn Alder fast..like Doc Holiday fast. Hmm?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Yep.. hello, my name is Marko, and I am a wierdo BP Maker..

There you have it, another of my confessions.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_213706(1).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	243305will weigh it again tomorrow night

Boolit Bub
    Mr.Marko...thats very awesome and resourceful of you! Youre living my dream up in alaska. I wnvy you my friend. Mr. Dirtykurty, would you happen to have a chrono? Id sure like seeing the speed difference etc.
    The black willow gets faster only because its blowing through the patches. The Catalpa holds a tight pattern. 75 grains. 50 cal 1in70 twist 29 inch. Homemade inline with 209 primer. O-ring sealedClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_141307(1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	243335 breach plug. I have Buckthorn Adler going into the crucible in about an hour.

Boolit Bub
    That is some yellow wood!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_150123(1).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	243338

Boolit Bub
    Good ole yeller.. I should probably be trying a new patch instead of faster BP.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190610_150153(1).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	243341

Dirtykurty...would you be interested in trying out and chrono comparing red alder charcoal? I wouldnt mind sending you some out if you'd be willing to share the results with us.

Boolit Bub
    Dirtykurty...would you be interested in trying out and chrono comparing red alder charcoal? I wouldnt mind sending you some out if you'd be willing to share the results with us.
    What state was it harvested in Mr.KID?

Im not sure on the state it was harvested. Its either from washington, idaho, or montana...leaning more towards montana. My friend owns realmontanacharcoal.net and he provided me with some as its also used to smoke fish and i also had some i cooked myself by getting it in wooden block form (also intended to use in a smoker for meats and fish) on amazon.com