Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 12 of 410 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master

I saw on Danny's site Tree of Heaven listed and unfortunately I have some of this growing around the farm. It is an undesirable tree but it has pretty good numbers in his chart. Now I have a use for it other than supplying me with exercise to get rid of it. Not a lot of willow around here.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Boz I here alot of guys using that stuff.I don't know we even have it here in Okla.I'm always
    looking for new woods & drive Danny crazy with what he thinks & so on.But don't even know
    what that tree looks like.

Many of the guys in fireworks use white pine.Not yellow but white pine.Most lumber yards
    have it.They rate it very high on the list for fast powder.But stay away from the yellow pine.
    There again I use the yellow pine for spark effects, but not for fast powder.

Fly
    Fly

Boolit Master

how is poplar for charcoal? Kinda short on willow, but tulip poplar is plentyful on my property. T-Bird

Boolit Master
    White poplar shows to be very good.I don't know what tulip poplar is.T-Bird click on this
    web site http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fire...ckpowder2.html

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Boz I here alot of guys using that stuff.I don't know we even have it here in Okla.I'm always
    looking for new woods & drive Danny crazy with what he thinks & so on.But don't even know
    what that tree looks like.

Many of the guys in fireworks use white pine.Not yellow but white pine.Most lumber yards
    have it.They rate it very high on the list for fast powder.But stay away from the yellow pine.
    There again I use the yellow pine for spark effects, but not for fast powder.

Fly
    Fly
    Trust me you don't want it, it is considered an invasive species here in KY. It grows very quickly and crowds out native trees and near as I can tell it is useless for anything except BP at this point. The problem that I see with it is when you skin the bark back it has a very obnoxious smell.
    I picked up a couple bottles of Spectracide stump remover this morning at Walmart. Less than $5 a pound. The local butcher shop has KNO3 for meat curing at $5 for 4oz, that is more than I pay for Swiss.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Boz I just noticed your from central Kentucky.You guy's have a tree out there I would
    love to have for make powder from.Paulowina trees maybe make the best charcoal for
    fast powder there is.

I have a fireworks buddy that lives there & he sent me some.WOW that stuff will make
    some of the hottest powder there is.Check that out also.
    Fly

Boolit Master

Boz I just noticed your from central Kentucky.You guy's have a tree out there I would
    love to have for make powder from.Paulowina trees maybe make the best charcoal for
    fast powder there is.

I have a fireworks buddy that lives there & he sent me some.WOW that stuff will make
    some of the hottest powder there is.Check that out also.
    Fly
    Never heard of it, is there another folksy name for it?

Bob

Boolit Master

looks like spruce 2x4 studs are the way to go. cheap, easy. I have a contractor friend that can likely get me all those I can stand, cut ends. T-Bird

Boolit Master

Fly, I did a search on that tree and it sounds pretty interesting, but can't say as I've ever seen one, or didn't know what it was if I did. Sounds like you just put them in the ground wait 20 minutes and come back and start harvesting your branches for charcoal. Kidding aside the one that they photographed grew from a couple inches the first of April to 18ft by the end of summer. Tree of heaven grows fast but not that fast.

Bob

Boolit Master
    T-bird I ask Danny if he has ever tested tulip poplar.He said he has not but said my other
    buddy was sending him some.Another guy I know said he did & was some what disapointed.

But lets see what Danny comes up with.The spruce should be good but not as good as black willow, but good enough to suit you.About like Goex but some what dirty.I swab between shots anyways.
    Fly

Boolit Master

Wink Yup!

Charley "You West Virginia Boy's are known for not getting in a hurry".

( Wink) Fly
    Sometimes, that means wez jus' thankin' 'till it smarts a might.

That smell is why it is called "Tree of Heaven"- only there would it smell so sweet.
    Don't know if it is an offical invasive species, but it takes up space like sumac does.

I think Tulip Poplar will be the same as other poplar species- not much physical differences, IMHO. Will wait to see the results, though.
    USMC 1980-1985

Hmm. Just read the whole thing. Think I'll go down to the Rio Grande and cut some cottonwood. It is a poplar related to the willows.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    That smell is why it is called "Tree of Heaven"- only there would it smell so sweet.
    Don't know if it is an offical invasive species, but it takes up space like sumac does.

I went to a woodland owners short course 2 years ago sponsored by the forestry dept and in this state it is considered invasive.
    They cleared a power line right of way to my house in late 09 and there are 15ft trees of heaven where there were cedars and locust. Never had it on the farm before that, and it ain't easy or cheap to kill. It propagates from root runners and seeds. Garlon is about the only thing that kills it reliably and it is $300+ a pint IIRC.
    But if it makes good BP I'm set for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Hmm. Just read the whole thing. Think I'll go down to the Rio Grande and cut some cottonwood. It is a poplar related to the willows.
    I ask Danny about cottonwood because I wanted to try it.He said it was pretty
    good.He told me during the Civil war the south started using it instead of willow.

He gave me a website on the story.It seemed the south could not get enough
    wiilow & thats why they used the cotton wood.

That powder plant was some where in Alabama.I will see if I can find that site.
    It's a very long read, but I love reading about the civil war.So I guess cotton
    wood must be pretty good if the south used it.

Fly

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't gone to the site listed yet, but has anyone tried kudzu?? That would be a good use for it if it works! Also sounds like the sweet gum might be a possiblity.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

seems like you need a soft punky wood, willow and cottonwood share that property.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    seems like you need a soft punky wood, willow and cottonwood share that property.
    Beleave it or not, one of the fastest woods is balsa.

Fly

Balsa is a soft punky wood.

A punky wood has a styrofoam like texture when cut or hit. Like willow cottonwood and balsa.

poplar and.soft maple are also.

spruce has a little more backbone.

Page 12 of 410 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast