Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Master
    I don't dry first. Figure they will get plenty dry in the retort.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Got 2 TOH trees down and sectioned up. I will peel and split to dry for charcoal.
    You'll enjoy the smell while peeling that bark, it is pretty strong. That is one way of identifying it.
    I have a number of TOH that grow around my free standing deer stand. That stuff grows so fast that I have to cut them down every year because they block my view to the crop field I hunt.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    You'll enjoy the smell while peeling that bark, it is pretty strong. That is one way of identifying it.
    I have a number of TOH that grow around my free standing deer stand. That stuff grows so fast that I have to cut them down every year because they block my view to the crop field I hunt.

Bob
    It does stink.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

I finally found this end of a verrrrrrrrry interesting thread. Many thanks to all who have contributed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Mold
    I have just made my first batch of homemade BP, and have had very good success in doing so. My homemade is not as dense as commercial made BP, and was wondering why. I was on a BP site asking this question, and a member mentioned the fact that commercial BP was pressed under hydraulic pressure into pucks, allowed to dry, broken up, and the granulated . He mentioned this site, and a member by the name of FLY from whom he purchased a powder die for making said pucks in a shop press.. Do any of you happen to know this fellow FLY, and how I might contact him by chance..???

Quote Originally Posted by dsdavis1953@yahoo.com View Post
    I have just made my first batch of homemade BP, and have had very good success in doing so. My homemade is not as dense as commercial made BP, and was wondering why. I was on a BP site asking this question, and a member mentioned the fact that commercial BP was pressed under hydraulic pressure into pucks, allowed to dry, broken up, and the granulated . He mentioned this site, and a member by the name of FLY from whom he purchased a powder die for making said pucks in a shop press.. Do any of you happen to know this fellow FLY, and how I might contact him by chance..???
    Look up a few days ago in this thread...Fly posted on the 9th. Send him a PM....he'll get back to you. He supplied me with my puck press....he's a great guy to deal with.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

He'll be around here shortly...

Boolit Master
    Noblade & Redhawk know me well (wink). Yes I sent you a E-mail.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I sent him a puck die. Funny how this thread has slowed. Are there not as many people making there own BP? Even the whole muzzle loader
    board has slowed down. Are people losing interest in black powder shooting? I hope not.

Fly

Boolit Buddy
    Fly, I've seen all boards in this forum slow down interest. I follow this and the primer thread along with the pit, many long time contributors seem to be gone, hope it changes as I cant add to much to the tech side I do like getting the info.
    Shaune509

Funny...there seems to be plenty of activity in the forums I follow...however...I don't go directly to any one forum...I click Quick Links>>Today's Posts and work from there. I do shoot BP occasionally, but I'm not a die-hard BP guy though. I am a boolit caster and alloy mixer...so I tend to be more in tuned to those forums.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Still dropping by every day but not shooting BP right now cause of the humidity, instead took a few military surplus out last week with some cast plinkers and jacketed. Just had one of those life milestones, turned 65 and joined the Medicare crowd. Now I"m officially an old fart. LOL

I know what you mean Eddie2002 about milestones and being busy. I had my first grandchild in April. Talk about a wonderful time consuming adventure. Time for my hobbies is at a prime now.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    Guys I,m 73 years old now & had my first great grand son this year. But I also got a new to me motorcycle I ride almost every day. I still
    never think of my self being that old, till I come back from a ride, & realize how tiring that can be. My mind is still young but the rest just
    can't keep doing as it once did.

Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Guys I,m 73 years old now & had my first great grand son this year. But I also got a new to me motorcycle I ride almost every day. I still
    never think of my self being that old, till I come back from a ride, & realize how tiring that can be. My mind is still young but the rest just
    can't keep doing as it once did.

Fly
    Well don't keep us in suspense, what bike did you get?

Boolit Master
    I have made batches with TOH, Willow, and Alder. I am getting better at consistency. TOH seems to be a bit better. I am quite happy with my homemade. Have a buddy with a chrono and he is going to compare the batches when he is done with hunting.

So far they seem to shoot pretty clean.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I sent him a puck die. Funny how this thread has slowed. Are there not as many people making there own BP? Even the whole muzzle loader
    board has slowed down. Are people losing interest in black powder shooting? I hope not.

Fly
    I haven't been shooting lately enough in general. But TODAY was range day! My homemade 32 cal rifle was my only bring-along, which has only ever seen my home made powder, thanks to this thread.

Shot only NMLRA 100 yard targets (at 50 yards), and my trigger work was, uh, not up to my usual standards, not was my shooting really. But still shot a 46x from the bench, and 38-41's standing offhand. I normally shoot 43+'s with my 58. Which was built by Joe Weist. using Goex. Which shoot's 50's off the bench, with x's. So, not bad! I don't think the weak link to my 32 is the powder, by a long shot! Or, at least a 50 yard shot.

Also, generally speaking, my 54 cal pistol shoots really, really well, and has only shot my homemade since I came into ownership of it. Shot a 46 a few months ago while sighting in at 25 yards, though I think that was a fluke. I'll bet I can hold low 40's though with that thing.

and with a few pounds of charcoal, 20+ of kno3 from skylighter, some sulfur from the same, your puck die, and the 20 ton H press from Hazard Fraught with an air over hydraulic jack, life is good in my small muzzleloading world.

Even shoots OK in a 20 ga handi with 62 cal round balls and brass shells at the indoor range that one time when it seemed all the other people at the range were college students who didn't know guns and promptly freaked out. But that's a story for another time.

Boolit Master
    Looks like the twin to mine, same color but has Cobra pipes. Sweet sounding riding bike.
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-...0cx-fury/2010/

Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    some BP matches here specify "only Commercial black powder or pyrodex allowed."
    Uh, Why?

Boolit Master
    I guess I,m funny in my regard to pyrodex or the other substitutes, if that's all I could shoot I would quit shooting black powder guns
    altogether. To each there own, but I love the smell, the smoke for I,m reliving the ole days. The Civil war was maybe my favorite time
    in study of history. My favorite westerns are also from those times also. I can't read enough about those times.

Fly

Page 108 of 408 FirstFirst ... 8589899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118158208 ... LastLast