Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: What IS the difference in factory vs home made?

What IS the difference in factory vs home made?

We tried like all get out to answer some of that today, and if the WIND hadn't been so nuts...well, we might know more.

As it is, Da Boy brought out the Hip Howitzer to see what the difference might be between 3F Goex and some LAGS made 3F Toilet Paper powder. I hope the TP was fresh, and not used - that extra smell in the air might be too much.

First, he shot with Goex - for the ones who gave him grief about using light loads like 20-30 grains...he forgot his pistol powder measure at home, so these shots were charged with 60 grains each. That first one got his attention RIGHT away!

However, in his fine tradition...

Now, this is where you use the images above to build new ones in your mind's eye...because my camera took such lousy photos you can't SEE what was going on! But what did happen is he loaded with 60 grains of the TP powder, and fired. He said the recoil was just slightly less, and the ball hit higher. To him and me, the recoil seemed about the same, but it might have been hot rod loads in such a small pistol.
    In any case it was just plain fun! But the wind wouldn't even let him pour powder...maybe next time.

Boolit Master
    That's STILL cool. And I don't even OWN a muzzle-loader.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    That's "Muzzle-Stuffing Hip Howitzer"! Get it right!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Note the recoil was stout enough to unseat the ramrod. Whoops. On the other hand, I'll bet anything on the other end of that 220 grain lead ball would have a REALLY bad day.

Boolit Master
    The pistol seems to be durable.
    If you didn’t have a 30 or 40 grain powder measure.
    Why don’t you only half or 3/4 fill the 60 grain measure.

Because I didn't know what he had loaded it with until after he fired...oops.

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like a Jukar pistol - I have several, most of mine are .45. I have them from .32 up to .65. I have made several batches of powder that didn't work out so great - but with these you just increase the amount of powder until it works right. I find myself routinely putting 60 grains in these anyway, but its golden powder, Crimson Powder, starch powder or some other stuff that turned out to be so weak it couldn't be used in cap& ball revolvers - and certainly not cartridges (Tried, it would squib).

In fact, I made so much mediocre garbage I'm shooting my single shot muzzleloaders more than anything else.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Boolit Buddy
    The style of the grip, and how big these are, actually makes them comfortable to shoot with heavy loads in them. I put 80 grains of real BP in my Jukar .45 once - range master thought the gun had blown up it was so loud. But all was good.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 10mm, 44 Special 44 Magnum. .223, 7.62x39, 7.62 x 54R, .30-06, 45-70, .32, .36, .44. .45. .50. .54. .58 and .60 round ball and various minies. And .375 heel crimped conical for those .36 conversions . KB6MRP on Discord

Fifty grains of FFG from my .54 Plains Pistol set an 8point buck dead on his butt at 40 odd feet. No thanks on the 60 gr. load!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2TM101 View Post
    That looks like a Jukar pistol - I have several, most of mine are .45. I have them from .32 up to .65. I have made several batches of powder that didn't work out so great - but with these you just increase the amount of powder until it works right. I find myself routinely putting 60 grains in these anyway, but its golden powder, Crimson Powder, starch powder or some other stuff that turned out to be so weak it couldn't be used in cap& ball revolvers - and certainly not cartridges (Tried, it would squib).

In fact, I made so much mediocre garbage I'm shooting my single shot muzzleloaders more than anything else.
    This one was made from spare parts laying around LAGS laboratory!

Yes it was - the only factory items are the lock and barrel, and the barrel was a stub cut off a rifle barrel!
    We will schedule to go back out next weekend, and perhaps the weather will cooperate. I have seen the wind coming down off that mountain so bad it has blown steel targets over, but yesterday was really bad

Boolit Master
    That Lock was rebuilt from a Factory Lock So that it fit and worked on this pistol.
    Factory parts can be redesigned or modified to fit other guns you build.
    The barrel cut off had to have a factory breech plug fitted and then a nipple drum fit to the barrel for shooting percussion caps.