RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: My homemade black powder

Seed Ranch is Haifa nitrate out of Israel. Great stuff.

I'm getting close to having all I need to make a batch. When I do I think I'll make two trying both Nitrates. StevenDJ those labels are great how did you make them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 21.29.04.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	319070
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Bub
    MaLar,

I was pleased with my labels and the bottles I found to put them in too. The labels were made with a fancy software tool called 'Google Docs'. I just figured out the right size I needed and set the cell size of a table to match.

I stole the artwork from some unknown unsuspecting person (Should you read this, I am really truly very sorry for stealing your artwork). I saw a bunch of vintage labels on pinterest that I liked (Are blokes allowed to use pinterest???) but they were outside of my artistic abilities to emulate. If you send me a PM with your email, I can share you the file so you can modify it.

They were printed onto a sticky mailing label sheet with only one A4 sized label. I then just cut up the individual labels.

I used Ebay to find bottles. Even though I could buy the bottles from local suppliers, I chose to buy cheap ones from Ebay and wait the postage time. They ended up being about $3 each (I ordered 10) including the shipping. The local suppliers were around $8-9 each + shipping. These have a nice clear plastic plug/insert under the screw top so they should seal well from any humidity. I have thrown in a silica gel packet to keep the powder dry.

Anyway, it was a fun side project, and like reloading, it extends the hobby a little further.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Steve
    Last edited by StevenDJ; 10-22-2023 at 07:14 PM.

(Are blokes allowed to use pinterest???)

Yes, but tread lightly. Too much Pinterest use by men has been known to cause spontaneous transition.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by henryinpanama View Post
    (Are blokes allowed to use pinterest???)

Yes, but tread lightly. Too much Pinterest use by men has been known to cause spontaneous transition.
    Thanks for the warning! I sure wouldn't want to wake up being a gun control freak, having suddenly spontaneously transitioned!

Quick! Another dose of black powder. Only Holy Black has the power to resist THAT force!
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Bub
    Oh dear, it looks like I started something that should never be started.

My new Pinterest page should be 'Black Powder for Homeschool Mums'. I wonder how many mums out there are doing this? Are there any women following this thread? Speak up please. Your ideas are welcome too!

To bring it back on topic, I tested some 60 and 70 grain loads of both 2f and 3f under 1oz of #6 shot the other day. At 35 metres, the shot was all within a 500mm target. It was a far denser shot pattern than the same shot over smokeless. Wads were the same. The switch from 2f to 3f gave noticeably more recoil. There was less difference between 60 and 70 grains.

We are in spring time here and the green grass is 3ft tall. My wife said she could hear the bang followed by the white smoke and it looked like the civil war!

The satisfaction is all the more from making the powder and loading the shells.

My screens are
    1f 12-16
    2f 16-24
    3f 24-45

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    ... participating in sexual intercourse. Very, very dangerous indeed.
    More so if the husband is not out of town....

Quote Originally Posted by Jugband View Post
    But here's something to consider... when was the last time you saw any sulfur nuggets laying around on the ground?

Also, lead must be mined. Reclaimed range lead and wheel weights both contain antimony and too much tin for black powder balls which need to be pure lead, or very close to pure.
    a 9 hour drive gets me to many pounds of sulfer laying on the ground. I guess if I really needed it....

as for pure/ML.... Why?
    I think you are totally mistaken
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	858868BF-F1AE-4591-8A83-7417D77AB2AA.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	319373

55 grs of my homemade grapevine charcoal 2F in the Walker, underneath a round ball.

Boolit Master
    HW; She's belchin' Hell Fire and Brimstone! What do you think of the grapevine?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    HW; She's belchin' Hell Fire and Brimstone! What do you think of the grapevine?
    DB,

Grape seems to make good powder - I didn’t chrono these shots but didn’t shoot any different from Goex 2F. I shot 12 times without a lot of fouling buildup - of course, it’s a Colt design and they seem to go a bit longer before cleaning.

HW

Boolit Master
    I found it strong, but dirty. But, that was early in my powder quest. I think if I tried it again, it would probably be better than it was then.

Boolit Master
    This powder was corned and screened so it’s what I consider to be cartridge grade.

Loud, too - big deep boom when it’s touched off.

Boolit Master
    It looks like it goes boom! Ha
    Big deep booms are a good thing.

Boolit Master
    I just got the Walker recently, the serial number is for an ‘06 Uberti. I tuned the action a bit and set cylinder clearance with a .110 spacer in front of the arbor. Wedge is tight and it locks up solidly. I kept all shots on a quart oil container at 20 steps, figure that was good enough for a first attempt. I’m ready to pop a feral hog with it…woohoo!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    This powder was corned and screened so it’s what I consider to be cartridge grade.

Loud, too - big deep boom when it’s touched off.
    55 grains in a walker will do that ----we (son) took one to our local pistol club and shot it under the low tin roof with round ball - blokes came from all over the place to see what blew up !!!

Anyone care to comment on this Youtube?

Boolit Master

I think he surely mis-read the email as I do not believe the ATF has jurisdiction unless the home made is used for profit, sold, or transported through interstate commerce. Using it for your own use on your own private property or even driving to your local range or hunting location with a reasonable amount for your own enjoyment, unless you cross a state line, would not involve interstate transportation and if not being sold to others or somehow allowing you to make a profit from it, then there would be nothing involving commerce. Not even local or state commerce.

There are likely some states or localities where there could be other regulations that would put some skids to my thinking. For the most part though, I think one is quite legal to make their own and use their own for an honest and legitimate purpose.

But, to alleviate any possible problems, I store all my powder in old Dupont or Goex powder cans as they are already properly labeled as to the contents with all the precautions printed on the cans. Unlike his Kentucky moonshine glass fruit jar container, transporting a can or three of the homemade in prior approved commercial containers should present little problem whatsoever.

Load em up and enjoy.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 11-01-2023 at 10:47 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    Anyone care to comment on this Youtube?

there are times when keeping your mouth shut and your head pulled in is the best idea ---this is one of those times!!!!!!

I am mystified why these clowns want to attract attention .....................................

Boolit Master
    A lot of people want their 15 minutes of fame. My dad always told me to keep quiet and let people think I was stupid, rather than talk and remove all doubt.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 11-03-2023 at 07:53 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7793.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	319517
    I used my homemade powder to take this buck .

Page 374 of 410 FirstFirst ... 274324364365366367368369370371372373374375376377378379380381382383384 ... LastLast