MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 14 ga. British muzzleloader shotgun

14 ga. British muzzleloader shotgun

Not a shotgun guy, but this one interested me as it has "C. GOVE" engraved on each lock plate! Also has his full name engraved on the top rib of this 14ga. muzzleloader shotgun. "CARLOS GOVE DENVER, COL." Gove was the largest gun dealer West of the Mississippi from before the Civil War to the late 1800's when he died.
    A very well cared for Damascus barreled shotgun, with all the various metal parts border engraved, and some nice wood. Very classic lightweight stocks and maybe weighs 7 lbs. Made in England, and Birmingham proofed.

Boolit Master
    You know, whenever I see these pieces I am in awe - heated over coke and a blower to beat the barrels into shape, maybe a water wheel for machining propulsion, and a lot of time spent in creating and checkering the stock.
    She's a Beaut! I look forward to hearing about your reports of shooting her!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    You know, whenever I see these pieces I am in awe - heated over coke and a blower to beat the barrels into shape, maybe a water wheel for machining propulsion, and a lot of time spent in creating and checkering the stock.
    She's a Beaut! I look forward to hearing about your reports of shooting her!!!

I think I have everything to shoot it except wads and caps. I have plenty of Swiss 1 1/2fg powder, and #7 1/2 shot. Just need to buy wads, (probably have to use 12ga.) and percussion caps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I think I have everything to shoot it except wads and caps. I have plenty of Swiss 1 1/2fg powder, and #7 1/2 shot. Just need to buy wads, (probably have to use 12ga.) and percussion caps.
    I would make my own wads. That's the beauty of a front stuffer! Just make your own everything and go on!

That is a find! I’ve been wanting to find on myself!

Boolit Master
    just use the square load. volume to volume, that is what I use in mine. look up load data before you make smoak. it is a beauty.

Boolit Master
    you can get wads for it from track of the wolf I believe.

That puppy is in exceptionally good shape, especially considering it's age.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

You have a nice ole' front stuffer. Track of the Wolf has all the odd gauge wads. I was able to get 22ga wads for my double flint gun and wads for my 13 ga Greener and 14 ga wads for a Williams and Powell London double. Even an old 11ga Fisher side by side. Have hunted with all of them!

I must have missed the wads at TOTW as I checked and saw nothing for 14ga. shotguns? Went back this morning and just entered "14 gauge" into the search and the wads came up just fine!

Another friend also told me to weigh out a charge of 7/8-1 oz. of shot, and use my old adjustable shotgun measure to pour it in. Then pour the same measure full of my powder and it would be the 50/50 by volume measurement. Sounds pretty foolproof to me.

Boolit Master
    This whole thread makes me want to go out and buy a proper tweed hunting jacket and cap and start smoking a briar wood pipe while waiting for partridge to be driven by me!