MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2ADvertise here
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading UKInline Fabrication

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 55 USD (1%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 207 of 208 FirstFirst ... 107157197198199200201202203204205206207208 LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 4146

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    Another important note on tree of heaven: don't just start cutting it down if you want to control it or kill it. Cutting down trees or saplings will promote the tree sending out more shoots, ultimately helping it grow.

I cut mine off of public land thinking... I don't need a permit, I'm helping out. I then looked up control methods of it and they say that cutting only helps it grow more. You have to use a certain herbicide or use it in combination with cutting. It also releases a toxin into the soil to prevent growth of other trees, which is why it's so invasive here. After identifying it, I now notice the stuff is EVERYWHERE.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=ChrisPer;5223055]Very interesting HighUintas!
    I hadn't realised the Tree of Heaven was NOT paulownia.

Baked my second batch of willow yesterday. I put a cast iron gas ring on the briquette deck inside my old Weber kettle, with the soup pot directly on it so the grill deck is removed. It smoked as before, and naturally there was no wind... got the vented gas to light but only for a bit. Rather unpleasant smoke.

And I made a couple of new 150mm dia pots which will be lidded with plain end caps taped on.

Thats pots for the mill? ends pressed on and taped ? sounds kinda scary to me

on my mill the end caps would be running on the drive rollers, the tape would be worn through and long gone, 20 pound of lead balls in there with the ingredients, murphy sez the end caps are gonna loosen up from the impact and fall off, the contents of that pot is gonna be all over the shop floor, and there is nothing more exciting than the flash burn you get from a thin film of black dust on stuff. not tryin to be a damper - but that fine dust coating has been the downfall of many a powder plant.

Boolit Bub
    Yes Indian Joe, but the tumbler barrels are (ideally) not rolling but cradled, locked into position in the center of the converted tumble dryer barrel. My first barrels have 150mm inspection covers, ie screw lids, but they keep coming off because they are not made to resist the moving weight inside, and the first version cradle is too loose. The new cradle will actually hold the caps axially, under spring or screw clamp pressure. So far I have been using tie down straps and they are not tight enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm experiencing clumping on one side in my new milling setup. I knew this would be a potential issue going from cylindrical media to balls. The content is all moving to one side and clumping onto the side (bottom) of the mill jar.

For those of you that have had this problem, did drying out your chemicals help prevent it? I'm thinking I might throw in a few odd shaped milling pieces to see if that helps knock the stuff off the side.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, drying the chemicals will prevent them from clumping while being milled.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, mine was clumping - even pelletizing! I got serious about drying beforehand and it started working well.

Someone said its only the charcoal as that goes up to 25% moisture easily but KNO3 only does 7%!
    Think about it. Either at that level is bringing the same weight of water into the batch!

Boolit Buddy
    I'll have to try that on my next batch. I just need to figure out a good method to dry those super fine powder charcoal and sulfur. Maybe put it in a tray on top of my kids toaster oven because that gets pretty warm when it's turned on to 150-200F

Boolit Buddy
    I've got some 78/12/10 loaded up for Friday! We'll see what difference that makes. I got that ratio from the mad monk files... Supposedly that's the Swiss ratio. I think the optimum ratio probably depends on the wood type and charring temp though. We'll see. 1275fps is my average to beat! Less than 100 away from OE

Boolit Master
    We'll be waiting to hear. Good luck!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Master
    I did make up a batch with 2% more sulfur and 1% less of the other two chemicals.
    It is supposed to ignite faster.
    I ground it up into 4f for my flintlock Blunderbuss to use in the flash pan.
    I tried some firing off blank loads on the 4th of July.
    It really Poofed good in the pan , and seemed to flash better than the store bought 4f that I also tried.
    But I am still on the fence about changing the ratios for the rest of my powders.
    Please let us know how your powder turns out.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-22-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    It's looking good! I'll get my numbers up later today

Boolit Buddy
    Here are two pictures of velocities. The first is from last time, using a 75/15/10 ratio and the second is from today using a 78/12/10 ratio. Other than that, the load is the same and the process used for making the powder was the same.

The average velocity is in the pictures. I threw out #6,7, and 20 from the average in today's results because they were so far off from the other measurements and they happened concurrently with other errors. #4 and 5 were not included because one was a magnum primer and the other was a 83.8gr charge. I had to compress that one quite a bit!

It looks like I might have gained around 25fps, but it's hard to say for sure with some of the measurement errors.

I'll be doing that ratio again next time and reducing the amount of time I mill the 3 component mixture to 30 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210723_172857713~2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	286560

Name:	IMG_20210723_172909079~2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	286561

Boolit Man
    HighUintas, cool! So, did they all seem to light well? And, did they seem more clean? It would make me think you upped the oxygen and leaned the fuel down. That would make me think the linear burn rate should be really fast; at least to the point of optimum burn efficiency.
    I'll be interested to know if it changes with different charcoals. I need to settle on one wood and I think it's gonna be Sassafras, more than likely; and then try all these little tricks and see if you can tweak it to be as hot, strong and clean, as is possible, on a very consistent and repeatable basis. Keep up the good work and keep us informed! You seem to definitely have gold fever. I have as yet to hear of a cure...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    HighUintas, cool! So, did they all seem to light well? And, did they seem more clean? It would make me think you upped the oxygen and leaned the fuel down. That would make me think the linear burn rate should be really fast; at least to the point of optimum burn efficiency.
    I'll be interested to know if it changes with different charcoals. I need to settle on one wood and I think it's gonna be Sassafras, more than likely; and then try all these little tricks and see if you can tweak it to be as hot, strong and clean, as is possible, on a very consistent and repeatable basis. Keep up the good work and keep us informed! You seem to definitely have gold fever. I have as yet to hear of a cure...
    I do have black gold fever!

I think they all ignited just fine. The oddball speeds I occasionally get are either due to the Chrono picking up the wad or smoke and light changes. I thought the one odd measurement of 1342 from yesterday seemed like it had more recoil though. It was the same charcoal that I had originally made, so it burns a bit more dirty than I'd like, but not too bad. I didn't notice any difference with dirtiness going to 78/12/10.

I made a modification to my mill that I think will help prevent clumping. I'm currently milling my kno3/charcoal mix (15:1 ratio to avoid explosive risk). I didn't dry it before milling. I attached a roller bearing on the end that the jar kept wanting to migrate to and then just leveled the mill to prevent the chems from wanting to separate to one side in the jar away from the media. I'm about 16 hours in and no clumping. And as I type this, I realize I let it go way to long.

Boolit Man
    I think I have experienced the patch problem, with my chrono, too. I was getting some speeds of '26' or '35', etc. I found several patches real close to the chrono, so moved it out from 13 feet, to 18 feet and they seem to not do that any more, but it seems like the speeds were fluctuating more, as well. I'm thinking about moving it to four or five feet, and try that. Maybe shoot higher away from the lenses. I've wondered about the smoke several times, too. But, I started covering the shades with a white tee shirt, too. So any smoke or patch will have to cross the lenses, within less than a foot above, to read them.
    I have also felt that sweet spot you talk about, with the high speed. Sometimes recoil will just feel like it was different. Not sure what that is all about. My rifle recommends a .015 patch. They are too tight. I use a .010 and they seem far better. But once in a while, I will get one that moves on the ball, and exposes an edge. I'm pretty sure that affects some of the accuracy. Maybe one out of 20, but still, it happens. Good luck with the experiments!

Boolit Master
    I love how intensely you guys are experimenting and analyzing. Interesting stuff! Keep up the good work.

This is just the best forum thread ever on BP, and Cast Boolits is a great site in general for sure!!

While waiting on some parts to finish anodizing yesterday, I machined up a nice base for my pressing die. Pictures later when I get a chance.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    Here are two pictures of velocities. The first is from last time, using a 75/15/10 ratio and the second is from today using a 78/12/10 ratio. Other than that, the load is the same and the process used for making the powder was the same.

The average velocity is in the pictures. I threw out #6,7, and 20 from the average in today's results because they were so far off from the other measurements and they happened concurrently with other errors. #4 and 5 were not included because one was a magnum primer and the other was a 83.8gr charge. I had to compress that one quite a bit!

It looks like I might have gained around 25fps, but it's hard to say for sure with some of the measurement errors.

I'll be doing that ratio again next time and reducing the amount of time I mill the 3 component mixture to 30 minutes.

Name:	IMG_20210723_172857713~2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	286560

Name:	IMG_20210723_172909079~2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	286561
    thought I posted this already but its gone

for me its hands down the first batch - you have 27?FPS spread - thats ok
    second batch is 106? FPS spread - that will work close in but it will wreck you at longer ranges

Could be about 500 other variables at play too - the fun part is it will take the rest of our lives shooting to figure this stuff out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    I think I have experienced the patch problem, with my chrono, too. I was getting some speeds of '26' or '35', etc. I found several patches real close to the chrono, so moved it out from 13 feet, to 18 feet and they seem to not do that any more, but it seems like the speeds were fluctuating more, as well. I'm thinking about moving it to four or five feet, and try that. Maybe shoot higher away from the lenses. I've wondered about the smoke several times, too. But, I started covering the shades with a white tee shirt, too. So any smoke or patch will have to cross the lenses, within less than a foot above, to read them.

I have an RCBS chrono with a cable to the readout unit on the bench - I shoot at maximum cable length (20 feet)
    always pick a spot under a shady tree to setup cuz this thing goes nuts if the unit is in sunlight or even light dappled shade.

I have also felt that sweet spot you talk about, with the high speed. Sometimes recoil will just feel like it was different. Not sure what that is all about. My rifle recommends a .015 patch. They are too tight. I use a .010 and they seem far better. But once in a while, I will get one that moves on the ball, and exposes an edge. I'm pretty sure that affects some of the accuracy.
    darn right it does - cut the patches a bit bigger gives you more wiggle room

Maybe one out of 20, but still, it happens. Good luck with the experiments!

Boolit Master
    So here's my pressing die base, with modified die. I added the thumbscrews to the die to hold the base in. If that keeps me from fumbling one time and dumping everything on the floor, it will have been worth it! Plus it will be nice to not necessarily have to load it on the press.

I just don't know though... will my mallet be good enough to bust up pucks??

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210725_162906.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	286684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210725_162845.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	286685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210725_163418.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	286686  

Boolit Buddy
    That is great looking VP! You'll have to let me know how it works. I would like to get a bottom plug machined for mine.

Oh how I wish I would have taken up metal working a long time ago!

Page 207 of 208 FirstFirst ... 107157197198199200201202203204205206207208 LastLast