Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: .50 cal. Maxi Ball help

Boolit Mold

Red face .50 cal. Maxi Ball help

Hello, all. Brand new to this site. I'm a little confused and in need of advice. I recently bought a Lee mould, for TC Maxi Balls,in .50 cal. I regularly cast my own bullets but, this has me confused. The bullets that I cast with the Lee mould, are coming out as .510. The factory Maxi Balls I have, are around .505. The .510 Maxi balls won't load in either my, Encore, or my New Englander barrels, without Great effort. I've never had an issue with the factory loads. I'm just trying to save myself some money, by making my own. Any ideas why these are .005 bigger than factory ? And, what can I do about this ? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    AFAIK lee does not make the hourglass shaped TC maxi balls. They make the REAL bullet which is totally different. REAL bullets have an oversized top band that need a sharp wack to seat and should only be cast from soft pure lead. Did you use some kind of alloy?

Boolit Master
    You can always size those slugs to a diameter that works best for your gun.
    The size of your castings can also be from the type of material you are using.
    Pure lead cast different than most alloys.
    The casting diameter can also be effected by the temperature of the molten lead or the heat of your die

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You can always size those slugs to a diameter that works best for your gun.
    The size of your castings can also be from the type of material you are using.
    Pure lead cast different than most alloys.
    The casting diameter can also be effected by the temperature of the molten lead or the heat of your die
    Too hot, might be the culprit. I'll try another batch. Thanks again

Boolit Mold
    Actually, Lee DOES make a 6 cavity TC maxi ball mould, and I have one. I bought it from Track Of The Wolf. I also have a Lee REAL bullet mould but, they aren't as accurate in my rifles, as the maxi balls are.

Moderator Emeritus

They should be about .510
    They should go in with some difficulty, because you need to cut grooves in the Lead, which should be pure lead and not a centerfire bullet alloy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    They should go in with some difficulty, because you need to cut grooves in the Lead, which should be pure lead and not a centerfire bullet alloy.
    These are .510. The factory maxi balls are .505. I can't get the .510 maxi balls to go into my barrel. Never had a problem with the .505 maxi balls. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I read that, my mould might be too cold. I'm going to have to keep trying, I guess.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Also, I'm using pure lead.

Moderator Emeritus

what is the groove diameter of your barrel?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001