Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: My homemade black powder

It sounds like hole-in-top is the way to go. I like the idea of the roofing nail.
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    To continue my BP testing from message 7246, I made a batch of "Sporting BP", using the same Sumac charcoal, but at 78-12-10, instead of 75-15-10. The choice of Sumac was random, as its performance was in the middle of the group of charcoals. I also reshot GOEX 2F and my original 75-15-10 Sumac BP. The weather was cooler today, with different atmospheric conditions, and the control shots were slower that previously reported .
    The 2f Goex that previously averaged 1387, today averaged 1243
    The Sumac 75-15 """"""""""""""""""""""1498,"""""""""""""""""" 1453
    The Sumac 78-12-10 that I shot today averaged ...................1495 So today's shooting shows an advantage of 42 fps, to the 78-12-10.
    Now as to cleanliness, I dry patched between shots and laid the patches out in order of the shots for a photograph. After sticking my 50cal MG cleaning rod w/patch on the 1st Goex shot, I had to be careful of the fouling near the breech. The Sumac BP was the same. I was interrupted and lost light for my chronograph, but fired two shots with my willow powder. I was able to push the patch all the way to the breech and withdraw the rod in one easy stroke. The fouling seemed moist or greasy. The other BPs produced fouling that fell off of the patch as small flakes when the patch exited the muzzle.
    John
    Last edited by jmh54738; 08-28-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    jmh54738;
    You're putting up some great numbers. And, getting a lot of similar results on the different day testing, that I have got, as well. Different days with different humidity, temp, or whatever it is that affects it; seems to be one of the greatest changes in a good powder. Too bad you didn't have today's powder on the other test day. It would be interesting to see if it would have been faster yet, on that day. Or, if it might be slower on that day.
    Whatever you're doing, I'd say keep it up! Those are some great numbers. Even today's 'lower' numbers were still great, to me. Thank you for taking the time to post these results. It might be very useful to others, in the future. Both posts were excellent references.

Boolit Buddy
    My next batch will be willow at 78-12-10, to test with the 75-15-10 Willow. Heck, I could mix them all together and still have great BP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmh54738 View Post
    My next batch will be willow at 78-12-10, to test with the 75-15-10 Willow. Heck, I could mix them all together and still have great BP
    Some people do just that, for uniformity. Indian Joe does it. I've done it with a couple of my powders.

Boolit Master
    Blended scotch instead of single cask…works for me.

Boolit Master
    I also make several batches with the same chemicals.
    I check the density on each batch.
    If all batches are close.
    I then mix the batches together to make one large uniform batch.
    If I have a batch that the density is a lot lower or even very much higher.
    I put that batch away by it self for either plinking with the low density.
    Or hunting with the higher density.
    Lucky for me so far.
    If I make 4 batches , they all come out with pretty close densities.

Boolit Master
    Folks, ya'll are some of the most knowledgeable folks around on making and storing BP. There's a thread
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...s-black-powder
    That about the storage of BP, with one guy saying "It has always been that way for home made black powder, You must have a certified mag to store it unless you make and use it the same day. "

I know vendors who sell BP have some pretty rigid conditions to store BP, but do they apply to us small folks with only 2 to 4 lb of BP?

Here's the link to the .gov rule proposed:
    https://www.regulations.gov/document/ATF-2023-0001-0001

Comments??

Ken H>

Boolit Master

I suppose one could read into or give that proposal various meanings, but it does state that it should only affect 9,674 licensees. I do not see the average home owner being the issue as long as they are only storing their small amounts of powder. There were already limits on the amount an unlicensed person could possess as well as the type of storage area needed.

It appears to me that the main intention of the proposal is to make the local fire safety officials aware of how much and where the covered (licensed) material is located so that the local agencies could be prepared or to take appropriate precautions should a fire or such be involved with that storage area.

I do not foresee the ATF knocking on our door wanting to checkout our small stash. If they do, they certainly better have a signed and detailed search warrant before doing so and I do not see it coming to that just yet, no matter how much some of our Communist politicians wish it to be so.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 09-04-2023 at 12:24 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Hey doublebuck, I finally finished my flinter earlier this summer. I was able to shoot it a bit, but hunting season crept up on me and I've been working on that ever since. I'm excited to get some homemade black run through it this winter! I've shot Schuetzen out of it since I haven't had time to make enough of my own to practice.

.58 cal. Darn thing is going to eat up ~120 grains a shot (hunting load) due to where I hunt and longer shots being common. When I use it just for testing BP, I'll probably drop that charge to 60-70gr.

Anyway, I still need to learn to engrave so I can engrave it. Other than that, it's done and needs to get dirty and a bit of patina. 36" 1:66 barrel. Plain maple stock

Unfortunately, I can only upload a few pictures. Here's a link to my build picture folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...si-QgYwrH91A-c

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230908-091409.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	317763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230908-091846.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	317764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230908-091956.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	317765
    Last edited by HighUintas; 09-08-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Also... Brimstone, do in you have any Paulownia to assay?

I need someone to do a proper test on that wood now that we know a few more things.

Quote Originally Posted by HighUintas View Post
    Also... Brimstone, do in you have any Paulownia to assay?

I need someone to do a proper test on that wood now that we know a few more things.
    Not yet. The few in the areas we work are well maintained.

Boolit Master
    Highuintas;
    Man! What a fantastic job! I looked at every picture and you must have the patience of Job. The tedious little stuff would eat me up. That rifle is just beautiful, friend. I hope you kill the biggest elk in the woods! Thanks for the whole post and pictures. Good luck this season!
    One question. What is the hide the rifle is laying on? Cow? Sorry to ask that question, of all the questions I have!
    Last edited by DoubleBuck; 09-08-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    DB, that is a cow hide. My wife got that for me a few years ago. I don't know where it came from or what type of cow, but i thought using as the background would make my gun look a little better!

Quote Originally Posted by HamGunner View Post
    I suppose one could read into or give that proposal various meanings...

It appears to me that the main intention of the proposal is to make the local fire safety officials aware of how much and where the covered (licensed) material is located so that the local agencies could be prepared or to take appropriate precautions should a fire or such be involved with that storage area.

I do not foresee the ATF knocking on our door wanting to checkout our small stash. If they do, they certainly better have a signed and detailed search warrant before doing so and I do not see it coming to that just yet, no matter how much some of our Communist politicians wish it to be so.

"...the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored."

Magazine capacity?

I was lucky to find a collection of screens at the local recycler!

Naturally, I needed to see which ones sifted out equivalents of the commercial BP I have and came across something quite interesting (to me anyway).

I sifted Old Eynesford 1-1/2f, 2f and 3f through the #30 and #40 screens.

The 1-1/2f sat on top of the #30 screen
    The other two sifted down with differing results.
    What I found interesting, is that both sifted out with varying amounts of finer granules and appear to be a blend of various granule sizes.

Starting with 200gr of each powder
    2f:
    99.5gr on top of the #30
    71gr #30
    26.3gr #40

3f:
    72gr on top
    62.5gr #30
    63.5gr #40

I admit that I lost a couple grains in the operation but close enough for this comparison.

The surprise was that the 1-1/2f didn't sift out much in the way of fines at all where the others did and quite a lot at that!
    It looks to me that the powders are blended rather than ground to a specific consistent granule size.
    Is this what you all are finding as well and do you think we are a bit too concerned about our granule consistency in our home made powder?
    Could we simply tune our powder's performance by adjusting a ratio of grinds?
    Also, the question of storage and pre-weighing procedures arises. Is it smart to roll the container to blend before starting to measure charges? If not, will the charges have more fines as one gets to the bottom of the container that perhaps effects outcomes?

Boolit Master
    A very nice find of screens. Should cover any situation.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Those look like the screens my Soil Inspector used when they did tests on the soil compaction on construction sites.
    Excellent find.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    "...the authority having jurisdiction for fire safety in the locality in which the explosive materials are being stored of the type of explosives, magazine capacity, and location of each site where such materials are stored."

Magazine capacity?
    All of the licensees have to store their explosive materials in “magazines”, which are designed for safe and secure storage that is away from their business or any other dwelling. They are wanting the licensees to tell the local authorities the capacity of those storage areas/magazines.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    It looks to me that the powders are blended rather than ground to a specific consistent granule size.
    Is this what you all are finding as well and do you think we are a bit too concerned about our granule consistency in our home made powder?
    Could we simply tune our powder's performance by adjusting a ratio of grinds?
    Also, the question of storage and pre-weighing procedures arises. Is it smart to roll the container to blend before starting to measure charges? If not, will the charges have more fines as one gets to the bottom of the container that perhaps effects outcomes?
    I have noticed that Goex does have a noticeable amount of differing granulation size in their containers. Most likely we could blend our powders a bit to tailor to our desires.

I mostly want fffg size so i only use a #20 screen and a #40 screen. I keep what is held by the #40 and regrind anything that is held by the #20 until all will pass the #20 screen. I suppose I do have a slight mixture of granule size in my #40 screen, but it is so slight (less than Goex) that I really doubt there would be any settling or separation to amount to anything. Finer than #40 is caught and saved for tossing in with the next batch that i make.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick

Page 364 of 410 FirstFirst ... 264314354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369370371372373374 ... LastLast