Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Just got a 4570 single shot Henry and scored a couple pounds of 4198. But I would like to try some home brewed holy black sooner or later. Will have to pick up a book on using it in cartridges.
    Don't neglect to drop the cases in hot water as soon as you get home after firing them with BP. I didn't understand that, and lost some very expensive ones to corrosion.

Boolit Master
    Somewhere in this massive thread an alternative method was outlined. Someone had posted the page # where it started. I have spent several hours looking for it. Could use some help.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    The rifle sounds sweet and if you choose to go black, you'll never go back. haha. Welcome to your new addiction, and chemically induced hobby!
    It was the wood the grabbed me....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix646052390.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	292579

Boolit Master
    I take a jar with some water with vinegar and dish soap in it when shooting. Just drop the shells in when re-loading on site. Shake well, then rinse and set out to dry when you get home. Glass pickle jars work great, and won't pop open and make a mess like most plastic containers.

Don't forget in your learning process; black powder must never have air space, unlike smokeless loads. Some compression is better.

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in this massive thread an alternative method was outlined. Someone had posted the page # where it started. I have spent several hours looking for it. Could use some help.
    Alternative to what?

Basically there are 2 methods:

1) Mix your ingredients (charcoal, sulfur, KNO3) with a binder like Dextrin or Red Gum (depending on your wetting agent, water or alcohol) and press through a screen. Makes serviceable but low-density powder. This is usually called "screened powder"

2) Corned powder made with a hydraulic press instead of a binder. This more closely replicates commercial black powder.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Alternative to what?

1) Mix your ingredients (charcoal, sulfur, KNO3) with a binder like Dextrin or Red Gum (depending on your wetting agent, water or alcohol) and press through a screen. Makes serviceable but low-density powder. This is usually called "screened powder"

2) Corned powder made with a hydraulic press instead of a binder. This more closely replicates commercial black powder.

Steve
    There is the CIA method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kkuG1IC0Zo
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Boolit Master
    "Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional."

I would add: and never, ever, "grow up!!"

With that in mind; "Hold my beer, and watch this!!"

Vettepilot

Boolit Buddy
    Vettepilot;
    I just sent you a message about your wood.
    Nearly choked on my dinner laughing at that one. Wasn't immediately obvious you were referring to a stock as the thread opened on that post.

Boolit Master
    Vettepilot;
    I just sent you a message about your wood.

QUOTE=GrayTech;5310200]Nearly choked on my dinner laughing at that one. Wasn't immediately obvious you were referring to a stock as the thread opened on that post. [/QUOTE]

Ha!! And I entirely missed the innuendo, or I would have replied, "I've got wood here!"

Tee hee...

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-04-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Alternative to what?

Steve
    Maybe alternative was the wrong word. It may have been a focused summation of the thread.

Boolit Master
    I really think someone ought to type up a good summation of this thread thus far, and they should make it a sticky!!

There's a veritable wealth of info here that's hard to find in one place. (Actually, it's hard to find here too, in this giant thread; if you haven't been following along.)

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-04-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I may have to use silver maple as the leaves are off and identifying willow or red alder in the wild would be difficult. There are a ton of alder swamps in my AO but I do not know if it is a suitable type. And being that the charcoal is so critical I want to get it right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTech View Post
    Nearly choked on my dinner laughing at that one. Wasn't immediately obvious you were referring to a stock as the thread opened on that post.
    I thought about that when I wrote it, but figured no one would pay attention to it. haha. I've got wood and he needed it. haha

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I may have to use silver maple as the leaves are off and identifying willow or red alder in the wild would be difficult. There are a ton of alder swamps in my AO but I do not know if it is a suitable type. And being that the charcoal is so critical I want to get it right.
    Charlie;
    I don't know which ones are, either. I've read there is not much of the Alder Buckthorn in the U.S., but there is supposed to be some. And, I'm reading it is considered an invasive species. So if you do find it, you may be able to get all you need, just for asking.
    Your Maple's are some high rated woods, in some of the tests I've read.
    As far as willow goes, about 90% of the wood growing around ponds and streams, about anywhere in the U.S. is usually one of the hundred types of willow. Black seems to be a favorite, but you may have to compare pictures, or get someone to point it out for you.
    Another wood that is highly rated is Eastern Red Cedar.
    If you get desperate, I can send you Eastern Red Cedar, Black Willow or a couple of others. Shipping is rather high, but I've done it for a couple of guys on this thread.
    Supposedly, the South had good luck in the Civil War, with Cottonwood.
    I've heard Red Cedar Shingles work excellent for charcoal.
    My personal favorite so far is Sassafras, but we're still doing some testing with it, to determine how it stacks up on Black Willow, which performed 3rd best for me personally so far, but has been other people's favorite, of all.
    If I can be of assistance to you, give a scream, and I'll do my best! Good luck, which ever way you go.

Boolit Master
    You DoubleBuck, are a "Gentleman and a Scholar" as they used to say. A truly helpful and kind person I believe. My hat's off to you!!

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Charlie;
    I don't know which ones are, either. I've read there is not much of the Alder Buckthorn in the U.S., but there is supposed to be some. And, I'm reading it is considered an invasive species. So if you do find it, you may be able to get all you need, just for asking.
    Your Maple's are some high rated woods, in some of the tests I've read.
    As far as willow goes, about 90% of the wood growing around ponds and streams, about anywhere in the U.S. is usually one of the hundred types of willow. Black seems to be a favorite, but you may have to compare pictures, or get someone to point it out for you.
    Another wood that is highly rated is Eastern Red Cedar.
    If you get desperate, I can send you Eastern Red Cedar, Black Willow or a couple of others. Shipping is rather high, but I've done it for a couple of guys on this thread.
    Supposedly, the South had good luck in the Civil War, with Cottonwood.
    I've heard Red Cedar Shingles work excellent for charcoal.
    My personal favorite so far is Sassafras, but we're still doing some testing with it, to determine how it stacks up on Black Willow, which performed 3rd best for me personally so far, but has been other people's favorite, of all.
    If I can be of assistance to you, give a scream, and I'll do my best! Good luck, which ever way you go.
    Doesn't Goex use Maple?

I'm sorry that I can't (yet) quote chrono numbers, but I'm very happy so far with the Red Cedar pet bedding chips from Walmart that I've been using. Very fast and very clean burning powder.

I had read it worked well from numerous sources, and am very glad I tried it. A big bag that will make several pounds (6 to 8?) of powder costs only 4 bucks! Try it.

Edit to Add:

One thing to add about Buckthorn. Historically, there has been confusion about the name, and identity/identification of the tree. My understanding is that the correct Buckthorn to use is the one that produces berries.

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-05-2021 at 04:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Doesn't Goex use Maple?

I'm sorry that I can't (yet) quote chrono numbers, but I'm very happy so far with the Red Cedar pet bedding chips from Walmart that I've been using. Very fast and very clean burning powder.

I had read it worked well from numerous sources, and am very glad I tried it. A big bag that will make several pounds (6 to 8?) of powder costs only 4 bucks! Try it.

Edit to Add:

One thing to add about Buckthorn. Historically, there has been confusion about the name, and identity/identification of the tree. My understanding is that the correct Buckthorn to use is the one that produces berries.

Vettepilot
    That bedding must be somewhat easier to process than sticks. Thank you for the tip.

Boolit Master
    The bedding is easier to process.
    But I found that screening it first thru a 1/4" screen is of a big help.
    You separate a lot of the tiny prices that would cook or burn into extra Ash.
    It isn't critical , but it helps.
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-05-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes, it cooks up great, and fast! By the time my Dutch Oven setup hits 550 degrees, it's already done. About 40 minutes from cold start to shut-down. I would say, for size comparison, my Dutch Oven is approximately 1.5 times the volume of the commonly used gallon paint can retort.

Edit to add:
    It grinds up super easy as well. No breaking it up, etc. I just mill mine in a little coffee grinder for a short time, then weigh and chuck into the ball mill with the other ingredients.

Vettepilot
    Last edited by Vettepilot; 12-05-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The bedding is easier to process.
    But I found that screening it first three a 1/4" screen is of a big help.
    You separate a lot of the tiny prices that would cook or burn into extra Ash.
    It isn't critical , but it helps.
    Hmmm... interesting. I hadn't thought of that. You know, I had a bag of Alder smoking chips that I made powder out of that didn't turn out so well. It was an old bag that had been handled and knocked around a lot, that I bought at a yard sale. It got more rough handling around here. One day I re-discovered it lying in my goodie closet, and went ahead and processed it. It had a lot of fines in it. Maybe that's why it didn't make the greatest powder?

Of course, at that time, I didn't understand about the apparent confusion concerning the various Alders that exist, and have no idea which flavor this was. Apparently, as I stated above, you want the "berry producing" Alder for good results.

Vettepilot

Page 250 of 403 FirstFirst ... 150200240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260300350 ... LastLast