Views:	5 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	311662 This is salt Cedar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2681_edit.jpg 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	311663 This is eastern Red Cedar
    Salt Cedars grow all over the western US, mostly in dry climate, and usually close to water. The Red cedar pictured is in Eastern Oklahoma, and they are very prolific in this area.
    I don't know which of the trees the pet bedding comes from, but would say either Eastern or Western Red Cedars.
    Or, as Brimstone says they are called Southern Red Cedars in Florida. Buck

Boolit Master
    We have seven cedar variants in Texas. I live in an area that’s overrun with Texas Red Cedar, hence my eagerness to use it as a local charcoal source.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post

Name:	Salt-Cedar_imagefull.jpg 

Salt Cedars grow all over the western US, mostly in dry climate, and usually close to water. The Red cedar pictured is in Eastern Oklahoma, and they are very prolific in this area.
    I don't know which of the trees the pet bedding comes from, but would say either Eastern or Western Red Cedars.
    Thanks Buck
    (was just curious) the stuff I saw in the sandhills is definitely eastern Red Cedar -- the salt cedar thing may have been me mis-hearing part of a conversation that took place around a long table where we were sampling organic homebrew beers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post

Name:	Salt-Cedar_imagefull.jpg 

That bottom picture sure looks like a spruce...........

Boolit Master

Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus Virginiana) They have blue berry-like seeds vs pine cones.

They are detrimental to most apples as they cause rust on the apples. Also, the apples can cause problems on the cedars as well. They are best not to grew anywhere close to each other.

They are considered an invasive tree in most of the Midwest as they spread readily by birds and will grow on just about any type of soil. They are readily killed by fire or by cutting them below any green branches. They do not come back from the roots.

https://www.arborday.org/Trees/treeg...cfm?ItemID=913
    Last edited by HamGunner; 03-14-2023 at 11:04 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    dondiego;
    They do resemble a Spruce, from a distance, but in shape only. The tints of blue you see on it are the blue berry like seeds. They appear in the fall. But, here in just a couple of weeks, they will make the air cloudy with an unbelievable amount of yellow pollen. When it happens, a puff of wind will dump what looks like a hundred pounds of yellow powder in the air. Vehicles and windows can just be covered with it. But, the wood is beautiful and they make killer furniture. And hopefully, highly viable Black Powder.

Boolit Mold
    I make my powder via melt method. Seems to work quite well and I've never had an oopsy or a "bad batch".edit: also never understood the need to puck it. Melt method dries hard as stone. Addendum +1 I replied to a post that didnt load properly..hahahahah. damn
    Last edited by ConstructionK88; 03-17-2023 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstructionK88 View Post
    I make my powder via melt method. Seems to work quite well and I've never had an oopsy or a "bad batch".edit: also never understood the need to puck it. Melt method dries hard as stone. Addendum +1 I replied to a post that didnt load properly..hahahahah. damn
    CIA method?
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Hi ConstructionK88, I'm not familiar with the "melt method". How is it done?
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Mold
    My apologies. Late to reply. Been looking for a custom gunsmith, no luck.
    Melt method as I do it: measure out your desired ratios and keep them separate. I follow the standard 75:15:10.
    After separated slightly slightly dampen your charcoal enough that it clumps and throughly mix in the sulfur. This is to help it mix and keep it from dusting or floating.
    Next I use a decent stainless pot to melt my kno3(add small amounts of water to assist in this). After its throughly melted quickly place the bottom of the boiler in a pot of hot water(kills any hotspots) and mix in the charcoal/sulfur. Wisk the absolute fk out of it until it gets a bread dough or peanut butter consistency.
    Scoop it out with your least favorite spatula onto some aluminum foil and spread it as thinly as you can. Allow this to dry. I personally use an old food dehydrator. Oven works on 175 for a few hours but your wife will neuter you. After its dry itll have the feel of a puck. You can break and sieve it as you normally would. For me it incorporates best since all ingredients are actually fused together.......!!common sense here dont preheat the over to 300 and toss it in and lower to 175!! Preheat to 175 then place it! Fold up the edges of the foil into a boat so small pieces dont fall onto the blaring ignition source!!
    Last edited by ConstructionK88; 03-26-2023 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Common sense ain't common

Boolit Master
    Making you own BP and ending up with a Satisfying product , depends on what satisfies You and your use and conditions.
    Yes.
    If you want to be the one shooting in competition with it every week and going for world records I would suggest you use commercial top of the line stuff.
    But I would say that 90% of the BP shooters will be satisfied with simple home made BP.
    And if done right.
    It is very simple and can get your job done at the range or hunting.
    Remember,
    200 years ago , there was a lot more Homemade style powders made than commercial powder for the public.

Boolit Master
    That Melt Method is almost Identical to CIA Method.
    The only major difference is not adding Alcohol or Acetone to the mixture to bring out the water you used to delute the Kno3 and blend it with the charcoal and sulfur mix.

Boolit Mold
    Adding volatile liquid to draw out moisture is delusional. Why INCREASE the chance something can go wrong when this basic method is incredibly safe. Also the residual heat from the kno3 and the pot alone evaporates the majority of the water. Drying does the rest

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=LAGS;5555439]Making you own BP and ending up with a Satisfying product , depends on what satisfies You and your use and conditions.
    Yes.
    If you want to be the one shooting in competition with it every week and going for world records I would suggest you use commercial top of the line stuff.

Lags - I dont often brag but ...................
    45/75 Uberti - 72 grains Cartridge No2 (FFG) + 466 grain CBE = 1244FPS - Extreme spread = 10FPS
    44/40 Uberti - 39 grains Cartridge No3 (FFFG) + 215 grain RCBS = 1273 FPS - Extreme Spread = 18 FPS
    45/70 Chiappa - Duplex load 6 gr 4227 / 63 grains Cartridge No3 = 1548 FPS - Extreme spread = 6 FPS

10 shot strings - no clean between shots
    The 45's are assembled diligently - 44/40 a little less so

We can do this ! who needs boughten stuff.

Boolit Master
    I recently had a request from a friend ( who is also a forum member) to show him how BP is made.
    I showed him how to ball mill and screen a half pound of powder.
    I showed him how to make a batch of CIA powder.
    While he was here and the powder was being ball milled.
    I showed him how to make charcoal out of pet bedding.
    I wanted to show him many methods so he can choose what method works best for him and the time he has.
    That way he can choose what method and tools he will need to get started.
    He took the powder that we made.
    And whan it dries out and he sifts it to size , he will take that stuff to the range and see how it performed.
    I also showed him how to make pucks.
    I gave him the pucks so he can learn to break them up and grind them to the powder size he wants.
    He already bought himself a hand grinder to do the job.
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-28-2023 at 12:19 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I'm not saying my method is best but it performs well and to me is a "fast method" start to finish in 1 hour if you're so inclined. I just typically have time to go slow. I only mill my charcoal. Not for safety sake; it's just the only thing I need to. But melting seems to replace pucking because its melted together as a homogeneous lump. Seems to save effort in my opinion.

Boolit Mold
    Just to add: I use 75 15 10. My charcoal I'm rather proud of. I use goldenrod(grows insanely down here) and it's easily on par with willow. Chars faster.

Boolit Master

I'm not saying my method is best but it performs well and to me is a "fast method" start to finish in 1 hour if you're so inclined. I just typically have time to go slow. I only mill my charcoal. Not for safety sake; it's just the only thing I need to. But melting seems to replace pucking because its melted together as a homogeneous lump. Seems to save effort in my opinion.
    Can you direct me to a written procedure for the melting method that you use? I apologize if it has already been stated elsewhere.

Boolit Mold
    I didnt read about it anywhere. So much as my laziness conjured up the idea from making rocket candy and smoke bombs. Wondered if it would work with bp and indeed it does.

Boolit Master
    Next I use a decent stainless pot to melt my kno3(add small amounts of water to assist in this). After its throughly melted quickly place the bottom of the boiler in a pot of hot water(kills any hotspots) and mix in the charcoal/sulfur. Wisk the absolute fk out of it until it gets a bread dough or peanut butter consistency.
    I was thinking you were dissolving the KNO3 in water, but do I understand you're actually melting the KNO3 in a pot over heat, then mixing in the sulfur/charcoal mixture? I'm just wanting be sure I'm understanding correctly. If so, that certainly is faster than 12 hrs of milling.

Page 351 of 403 FirstFirst ... 251301341342343344345346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360361401 ... LastLast