MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners

Page 325 of 325 FirstFirst ... 225275315316317318319320321322323324325
Results 6,481 to 6,487 of 6487

Thread: My homemade black powder

Boolit Buddy
    HWooldridge;
    I also tried some big grape vine a few years ago. It was also strong but dirty, for me. But, all I used was off the big part of the vine. It may have been different off a smaller section.
    Also, that was several years ago, and I have made a lot of changes to the way I do almost every step, so I may get much better results today.
    You might run an ash test on it and if that looks good try some out. I didn't even know to do an ash test, when I tested the Grapevine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBuck View Post
    HWooldridge;
    I also tried some big grape vine a few years ago. It was also strong but dirty, for me. But, all I used was off the big part of the vine. It may have been different off a smaller section.
    Also, that was several years ago, and I have made a lot of changes to the way I do almost every step, so I may get much better results today.
    You might run an ash test on it and if that looks good try some out. I didn't even know to do an ash test, when I tested the Grapevine.
    DB, I have two charcoal cans so I can make some of each and run an ash test. Based on what you said about size, I may cut some of the 1” stuff instead of the large trunks.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, if it doesn't make good powder, it does make tasty beer.

Take some grapevine chips, put them in the oven at 425ish until they start looking toasted and get really aromatic. Put those chips in the wort boil for the last 30 minutes and/or put them in the fermenter (not the same chips) after fermentation for a couple weeks.

Sounds like Spatten Optimator. They use grape vine wood to toast the grain for that beer if I'm not mistaken.

Boolit Master
    I found some dead stuff on the main vine that was about 2” diameter. It was dry but not punky or wormy; cooked down just fine. Now, I’ll bust up the pieces and make a small batch of powder. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Boolit Buddy

Chronograph question

I recently downloaded a round ball ballistics calculator here:

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...allistics.html

This calculator shows a .490" PBR with a Muzzle Velocity of 1400 fps falls to 1358 fps, at 5 yards. So 42 fps at 15 feet.
    My question is, can anyone tell if that is fairly accurate? I set my chrono at 15 feet and I have always added 15fps to the .570 speeds. Don't know about the .490". That is a pretty substantial difference. If true, I am getting 1600 to 1650 fps with 60 grains of home made powder. Over 1750 fps with 75 grains.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't, but 42fps in 15 feet is a pretty big difference. Do you happen to know anyone with one of those fancy lab radars? That would give you the answer.

Page 325 of 325 FirstFirst ... 225275315316317318319320321322323324325