WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: what 8mm mold?

Boolit Mold

Cool what 8mm mold?

:- Iv'e got a turk that shoots well with jacketed,but i'm wanting to find out what is a good 8mm mold to get the best lead results from this rifle? It has a good bore and good headspace. The riflings look good.
    I don't have a mold yet and any help will be appreciated from some of you that have been down that road. I plan on killing paper with it at first to see how the accuacy works out. If anyone has a mold they may sell reasonable,I would be willing to try it. I think a slug in the 150 to 200 gr. should do.Theres some data to work from.Its starting to get cold here in Idaho so this might be a slow winter project, Time will tell. Any help would be appreciated....Thanks...hawken

Super Moderator

...............Working with the 8mm and cast is greatly simplified by the scarecity of moulds out there . You have one each from Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Saeco. If your barrel is in good shape then I would suggest the Lee to start with. It's the cheapest design and weigh's 175grs. It will also do a superb job.

In a Turk M38 and M88/14/35 the Lee is as accurate a boolit as a person could ask for. When they did a group buy for a 6 cav Lee based on the 175gr Lee I jumped on it, and VERY glad I did too! These two Turks I mentioned both have tight barrels and require a .323" sized slug. One going .325" will stick in the throat. I would for sure slug yours before buying a size die as I did. I figured they'd need at least a .325" so that's what I bought, and was wrong.

I just remembered that there are 2 special order 8mm moulds available from Mid-South. Both are large heavy slugs outside your weight requirements. One is the Karabiner and the other is the Maximum. Both exceed 230grs and both drop at about .326".

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    What about the a mould for the 8MM Lebel Berthier with a rough barrel Buckshot?. Mick.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."