RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So you remember Spad's

Stew -- that was my first reaction as well! I was all ready to talk eddie rickenbacher, se-5s and neuports
    fecmech -- they had 3350s though as I said before I don't remember the dash number or if they were turbo-compounded or not -- a long time ago --
    I believe there was only one navy single engine aircraft that used a 4360 but I can no longer recall its name. I do not think there was more than a couple produced. The one I saw was on the ramp in millington tn about 1953 and was non-op. It was quite large though, made the ad look a bit small by comparison.

Boolit Master

Thanks, I missed the mention of the 3350's in your previous post.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I love the sound of that engine! I'd forgotten the wings folded on the AD though! It was a welcome sight when you needed a friend on top!

Boolit Master

You're really bringing back some memories here. I remember working with those guys over in the edge of Cambodia on the "trail". We'd have a SOG LRP in and they'd get in the stuff and call a FAC and he'd call everyone within hearing and we'd gang bang the bad guys. Fast movers, spads and us helicopter gunship guys. The fastmovers always got first pick because of fuel considerations, then the spads. They'd nape and bomb and we'd be waiting in the wings. Finally, they'd get down to 20mm and make about three passes before they were "Winchester" and then we'd go in and do our thing. By that time, the FAC would have some more players lined up.

I remember them dropping some nape one time so close that I felt the heat in the right door of a UH-1C. Like Jerry Clowers use to say, "one of us has to have some relief".

But, everyone did a good job and the guys on the ground loved it all./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Cag 19

Pavogrande I was TAD to the CAG 19 LOX crew while deployed on Oriskany with Fitron 191. I'm pretty sure that it was a bit after you were there though as we were flying F-8H's and F-8J's. Not sure what engines they had but Oriskany operated both COD's and Elmer Fud's and they were both a treat when they were doing high power turns on the hanger deck. Flames out of the headers......
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Boolit Master
    Tom: Were you in VA-126? I was assigned to VA-125 in 1960. I worked on the F9F-8T a bit but my primary job was as Plane Captian on FJ-4B, A4D-1, A4D2, and A4D-2N aircraft. We also had several AD-5 Skyraiders (later redesignated as A1E) to support our training mission by flying people and parts on and off of the carriers. I served on a BINGO crew on San Clemente many times and they always flew me out on the A1E. There is one thing more thrilling then the sound of a 3350 at full power and that is hearing it cough and then the sounds of silence while launching over water on a black, black night. Yow!!! And there I was with a wet cast on my leg!
    One version of the Sikorsky F4U Corsair that was built by Firestone had the 4360 engine installed for use as low level interceptors to cointer the Kamikazi's. I believe that they only built five before the wars end. If I remember correctly Cleland Cook flew one in the Thompson Trophy Races in the late fifties.
    Neil

Boolit Master

Lord Tom I was thinking "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" when I read the title! Forgot about our A1....

Now I love the old P51D Mustangs, actually got a ride on one as a kid out of Homestead FLA. when I was a kid -- wouldn't the A1 fly circles around the P51? Not many prop planes could that I know of.

I know my buddy's who are bit older than I and ended up in Vietnam always talked highly of them, especially a couple of guys I know who were Rangers. They said the "Sandys" (that's what I *think* they called them..) bailed them out numerous times. One of them was in the Ashau (sp?) Valley for a while and said it was the scariest place he's ever been to this day.

LOVE those old warbirds and they didn't cost a fortune and took a PILOT to fly them. Lets see, ONE F16 Falcon or 40 A1 Skyraiders???? Or Warhogs, or.............

That must have been something to feel the power of those things every day. I still remember when that pilot took off in the P51 and the hair on the back of my young neck standing straight up...must've been 1967 or so.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A little off topic BUT the A4D was the only plane the Navy had whos wings did NOT fold. You could pack a whole bunch of them on the hanger deck and still have room left.

How many sparkies remember having to crawl into the right intake duct while the engine was running to adjust the voltage regulator? Been there done that.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    The CODs used R-1820s. I was aboard one when we made a deck launch and was amazed that those two prop engines set me back in my seat more than any dragster that I had ever driven.
    I was straight out of tech school on Jan first 1958 when I signed into my first sea duty squadron VF-211. At that time they were working up with the new F8U-1 Crusader. Most of our pilots had transitioned from the F7U Cutlass with most of the others coming from the FJ-3 Fury. The early F8U had a problem with the main gear shearing off during deck landings. We lost a couple bird due ot this problem. One almost nailed me as I stepping through a hatch from the Island onto the Flight Deck. All I saw was a red and silver flash as the gear ricochetted off the hatch coaming several inches from my foot. We were the second squadron to deploy to WESTPAC with th F8 and the first to make a successful cruise with it. The first squadron had lost all but three of their aircraft by the time they arrived at Pearl Harbor. We picked up those three, modified the gear and completed the cruise. That was aboard the USS Midway. CVA-41
    When we returned in 1959 we traded designations with VF-24 and that caused all kinds of unhappiness when we refused to give up our name of FIGHTING RED CHECKERTAILS. The new VF-211 claimed it as theirs and as far I know both squadrons still use the red checkers. It sure led to a lot of blood and bruises for a year or so. We re-equipped with the new F8U-2 and a few months later re-deployed aboard the Midway. When we returned in 1960 I took my first discharge. Two months later I re-enlisted. I missed the excitement and adventure. Working on the flight deck is constantly listed as one of the worlds ten most hazardous jobs and that classifaction is deserved. I loved that job until I got married. That changed everything. In 1967 I switched to the Air Force.
    Neil PS: The early model F8 used the Pratt & Whitney J-57 engine. That was a damned good engine and was around for a long time. The aircraft that I worked on with the J-57 included the F8, F-100D & F, F-101B & RF101, and B-52D & E.

kc-135 and

Boolit Master

I say a Skyraider take off from the Longview, TX airport just a few days ago. That's a big airplane for a singe crew prop plane. It's always been one of my favorite prop planes. I worked with a guy years ago that had been on a carrier during Vietnam. He said it was a hoot to watch the Skyraiders power off of the deck without the assistance of a catapult. Their ordnance capacity was about he same as a B-17's short range load at 8,000 lb. The B-17 could carry 3600 lb of bombs on long range missions.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Seems to me there is still a need for an Able Dog type of aircraft. Low cost, easier to maintain compared to a jet, longer time on station and slow enough to know what is on the ground. Maybe not as glamorous as a jet but darned effective! I think the concept is called a COIN aircraft, Counter-insurgency.
    Air Force hasn't generally been real keen on CAS but they scream bloody murder when the army suggested they get a few A-10's for army use, even if just for FAC use!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The early F8U had a problem with the main gear shearing off during deck landings. We lost a couple bird due to this problem.

That same problem was what kept the F7U 3 from going on carriers. When the tail hook caught, the nose gear was driven up into the pilots seat or sure gave the maintenance crew a bit of work and the pilots laundry people to use a lot of bleach on the skivvies.

I have read many times where an AD landed in a clearing to pick up a jet jockey.

Fury, Cutlass, Cougar,A4D 1, A4D 2 and the first cruise of A4Ds to the med.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Flhroy -- yes, I was a few years ahead of you -- vf191 was at moffet in 55-56 when I returned from vr-7 at hickam --
    About the cutlass -- in late 56 we were hoisted aboard the yorktown in three days for rapid deployement to lebanon. we zig-zagged for three weeks while the powers that be decided whether we were needed or not -- we were not and ended up in kanaohe mcas for a month. The captain of the yorktown stopped operation of the cutlas as they were scorching the flight deck Those thing must have been really tricky to land. My duty station was at the starboard cat during ops to provide last minute maint or go/no go. ---
    I must admit that my navy was the e-1 to e-7 navy and a completely different air group organization from just a few years later.
    My son was right seat in a EA-6b during the 1st gulf fracas and I never did figure out the air group organization--
    The aircraft that used the 4360 was the martin mauler -- AM -- really a big dude.
    Interesting to see all the "old" airdales here, but I think I might have seniority

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    Seems to me there is still a need for an Able Dog type of aircraft. Low cost, easier to maintain compared to a jet, longer time on station and slow enough to know what is on the ground. Maybe not as glamorous as a jet but darned effective! I think the concept is called a COIN aircraft, Counter-insurgency.
    Air Force hasn't generally been real keen on CAS but they scream bloody murder when the army suggested they get a few A-10's for army use, even if just for FAC use!
    The Army has it's helicopters, although some sort of turboprop ground support might be a much cheaper alternative. I have a friend that is on his way to Iraq in Feb. He is an Apache Company Commander. I never realized how big those birds were till I talked to him about them. 18,000lbs empty and with a full load out 22,000lbs. That's not much ordinance when you factor in the fuel load. In the high altitudes of Afghanistan the performance sucks so not a great aircraft there. A big turboprop should be able to carry it's own weight in ordinance which was the upside to the Spads, also less maintenance than the helo or the big radials.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    The Army has it's helicopters, although some sort of turboprop ground support might be a much cheaper alternative. I have a friend that is on his way to Iraq in Feb. He is an Apache Company Commander. I never realized how big those birds were till I talked to him about them. 18,000lbs empty and with a full load out 22,000lbs. That's not much ordinance when you factor in the fuel load. In the high altitudes of Afghanistan the performance sucks so not a great aircraft there. A big turboprop should be able to carry it's own weight in ordinance which was the upside to the Spads, also less maintenance than the helo or the big radials.

Bob
    It's interesting to read about the inter-service fighting that went on in the early 1960s between the Air Force and Army regarding who could have fixed wing aircraft.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

That made for some great reading just got back from AZ Ion the Colorado river.
    Another navy plane the wings didn't fold on was the F8F Bearcat, the Corsair with the 4360 was the Goodyear F2G.
    I spent most of my time (21 yrs) in VAW & VRC, started in Nov of 1958.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    Stew -- that was my first reaction as well! I was all ready to talk eddie rickenbacher, se-5s and neuports
    fecmech -- they had 3350s though as I said before I don't remember the dash number or if they were turbo-compounded or not NOT -- a long time ago --
    I believe there was only one navy single engine aircraft that used a 4360 but I can no longer recall its name.

It was the Martin Mauler AM-1 - only 151 procured, and didn't last long, as the redoubtable AD/A1 Skyraider was becoming operational. The Skyraider couldn't carry as much as the Mauler, but was easier to work on and fly - the torque of the 4360 tried to twist the airplane around!

I do not think there was more than a couple produced. The one I saw was on the ramp in millington tn about 1953 and was non-op. It was quite large though, made the ad look a bit small by comparison.
    And the Skyraider could be used RIGHT NOW in the sandbox, or mountains!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy

I was at the Reno Air Races in 2010 and there was a vendor there that did aircraft maintenance, they had an A1E engine sitting there with zero hours for sale. I'm not sure what designation the engine was but the story went that depot had zeroed out the time on the engine, they had tranfered the engine to the South Vietnamese, of course the North took over , and somehow the vendor ended up with it the better part of 40 years later. Still with zero hours, I found it interesting(I was an engine troop).
    Mallard 57
    Last edited by Mallard57; 01-17-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for posting that, I've always loved the Spads, even though I was only five when Siagon fell.

Boolit Master
    That nine cylinder radial engine had this as a front emblem:

http://www.airplanepatches.com/home/...hitney-emblem/

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ne-case-emblem

On the plane, this was a brass stamping painted to color. I remember the old crop dusters sitting in the first light of morning, engines idling, blue fames popping out of the exhaust header.

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast