Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the CheckMaker for .303?

Anyone use the CheckMaker for .303?

Does anyone use the .30 CheckMaker to make gas checks for loading British .303 boolits?

I am guessing it would be .314 dia boolits, but what about .316?

How well do the checks fit the shank?

At what point does it warrent needing the 32 CheckMaker dies?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but there might be a 303 in my future.

Thanks,

30CAL-TEXAN

I think all the Australian and New Zealand members of this forum have at least one .303 rifle each.

They can tell you what to use and what works.

Hope this helps.

Fred

A .30cal will not make fat enough checks for .303 Brit. You would do well to get hold of Charlie for a Freechex made to my specifications for the colonial warhorse.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff. I have read a little about the work that you have done with the Freechex.

I was actualy hoping to hear from someone that had tried the checks from their Pat Marlin CheckMaker dies as this is a tool that I already own.

I think some folks were using different sized forming mandrels and cups to get different results but if I'm not mistaken this was mostly to utilize different material thicknesses.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of tinkering for larger boolits and if so did you modify your own parts or get them from Pat?

If not is there any interest in such a beast? It might be pretty neat to have a second forming cup or mandrel to make a "fat 30" gas check with the CheckMaker dies.

Boolit Master
    30CAL-Texan
    I have ordered some of Pats CheckMaker dies in .30cal,but it will be mostly for .303 British as I have 6 of 'em
    Most of them take cast bullets over .314- .317,I have a few Cast Bullet Engineering 303 Moulds(nearly most of them)and they have some bigger gas check shanks,not all of them,but some,so I got Pat to make up another male die in .284+ to make oversize GCs.
    I have not got them yet,waiting on the 45cal GasCheck die to be made,when I get them and try them out,will post my results.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

no34570,

Thanks for the response I will be very interested in your findings.

- 30CAL-TEXAN

Yes, Jim at CBE cuts his .303 Brit moulds with .290 shanks.

Still can't understand why anyone wants to make checks in two steps when it can be done in one step.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Yes, Jim at CBE cuts his .303 Brit moulds with .290 shanks.

Still can't understand why anyone wants to make checks in two steps when it can be done in one step.
    I'm not really looking for mass production here, if I were then the FCIII would definetly be the way to go. For what I do the CheckMaker is plenty fast and it is actually quite enjoyable to use.

The only thing that I dislike about the FCIII is the fact that I would either have to buy an arbor press or build a base and modify the unit to use it in my reloading press.

I think it is great that there are several different tools on the market to fit the different needs of us boolitiers!

Quote Originally Posted by 30CAL-TEXAN View Post
    The only thing that I dislike about the FCIII is the fact that I would either have to buy an arbor press or build a base and modify the unit to use it in my reloading press.
    Or use a mallet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    For an easy way to go check out Gator checks. The .30s I got are .318 O.D. and aprox. .295 I.D., and are heavier duty also than a Lyman check. The Lyman's I have are .309/.292. I use the Gators on .303, 7.65 Arg., etc. I'm checking a new batch of Lee TLC 312-160R by first running them thru a Lee push thru .314, just locks that Gator check on good at .314 but doesn't touch the .313 boolit. After a tumble lube I'll push them thru a Lee .313 for use in my H&R 7.62x39 and various .31s. Still, I want a FreeChek too. Can't have too many gas checks or primers. EDIT; I have used the .318 Gator on a .318 group buy boolit as cast no sizing for a MN 91/30 with good results. They just snap on by hand.

i have a freechex-II i use .012 material for.314 sized bullet.itsa bear to get it off the rod and a bit tight on the GC shank,but works as well as commercial checks.

HMP

Hey reloaderFred don't forget Canadians members have at least one .303 rifle each too.
    (LOL)

Jean Mario,

All the Canadians I hunted with in Northern Alberta had Winchester .30-30's............ But they probably did have a .303 back home in the closet.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Jean Mario,

All the Canadians I hunted with in Northern Alberta had Winchester .30-30's............ But they probably did have a .303 back home in the closet.

Fred
    You should come to Newfoundland then. .303 and "Moose Rifle" are essentially interchangeable terms here.

I just signed up for the .316299 Group Buy specifically for my .303 Brit rifles. I've got the FC III for my .45-70, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I already had an arbor press so there was no extra cost there. I think I'll check back and look at the specs of the new to see if the .30 cal check will work or if I need to start looking for another check-making tool.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting."
    - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    It's not just the Canadians, Aussies, etc that have .303s. I have 3 of them myself, and two shoot great, the third I just came across recently and haven't even slugged yet, so will have to do that later today while I remember. Great caliber in good rifles though, just not very common around here. Oh well, makes for a smaller market with better prices for the few of us who use and like them. I mean, the two I have had for some time are a British and a Longbrach N04 Mk1, one was dirt cheap, the other was reasonable. The most recent is a P14 that I thought I was getting an ok price on, but have been told I stole it afterward.

I have a Winchester P17 in .30-06 that is a great rifle. I picked it up at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $150.00, but it had been "sporterized" by someone with a skillsaw. My gunsmith had all the original wood for one, so it's now back to original.

Fred

In Remembrance
    You need to have Charlie make you a .303 FC III. I have one and it makes fat gas checks that work fine on .30 cal too. Use .011 on .30 and .014 on .303.

Boolit Master
    30Cal-Texan
    Have only just made some .303 GC up using PatMarlins dies,most of my .303 moulds have either .284+(.286-.290)and the male die Pat made me works a treat,snap on the shanks and stay there,they do.
    Only made about 100 for a batch that I wanted to try,have not shot them yet,as my legs are not working well today or all month.
    I use the .014 aluminium sheet from Amerimax ,I'm set now,next purchase is a set of FreeChex from Charlie.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Banned

Thanks for the compliments Dale.

OK- It's official, as I've checked with a few customers on 303 Brit, and I just bid on one last night, so I may get lucky and finally own one.

My 30 caliber Checkmaker™ die set with an optional male die for 303 Brit will work for both calibers. So you get basically 2 calibers with one die set for $10 more.

Prices and shipping:
    Cost for all standard caliber Checkmaker™ dies is $74.00 per die set.

$5.20 plus $2.35 Signature confirmation USPS Priority Mail shipping for one (1) die set.

$10.95 plus $2.35 Signature confirmation USPS Priority Mail shipping for two (2) die sets or more combined.

International shipping (USD):
    $13.95 -International shipping USPS Priority mail for up to 2 die sets.
    $11.50 -Optional international full replacement loss coverage insurance (per die set), your choice. We will not cover dies lost without insurance. Email for shipping rates on larger orders.

For first die set orders- ram ejector arms are included (one per customer). Specify what model single stage press you have. Additional ram ejector arms are $4.95 including shipping. The LEE style ejector arm now works for the LEE Classic Turret press. Custom diameter order optional male die to your specification $9.95.

Banned

Here's a nice comment I received today on 303 Brit:

Thank you; I just got the dies today.

FYI, I've been watching the Cast Boolits discussion about whether or not your standard 30 caliber dies would work with .303 British. I was concerned because most of my .30 caliber cast bullet loads are for the Mosin Nagants and the British round, using the Lyman 314299 bullet. Right away I made a few .30 caliber checks with the new die, using Amerimax .014 aluminum. I then tried them on the Lyman 314299 bullets as I sized them in .314 sizer dies on an old Lyman lubersizer. They all fit perfectly. No problems at all.

You make a great product, and I wish you the best.

Mark R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast