Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 44 special, mag load ?'s for noob.

44 special, mag load ?'s for noob.

Hello, all.
    Looking for load recommendations for a Lyman 210gr. gas check, a 240gr. Keith, and a Lee 310gr. gas check. I have a pound of H110 and a couple K of cci 300 primers. I'm kind of looking for a good powder for my lighter loads and for some of the medium and heavy loads with the H110. I just don't want to end up with more than a couple cans of powder. (hoping one or two more powders will load them all) I would like accuracy most, but the ability to hunt with what is accurate. I have loaded the Keith boolit but not the others and I like the way the Keith shoots. I sized with a Lee and lubed with alox but I have a Lyman 45 on the way to help put the lube where its supposed to be. I will be shooting out of 4 5/8 revolvers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    William.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Someone (who will probably post before I finish typing) will likely provide you with some data that can easily be found in any of the various handloading manuals, or on line from one or more of the powder manufacturers. I recommend that you buy three manuals (take your pick of Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Hodgdon, etc.) and study them, including the "How To" section. You'll learn plenty about handloading and you'll find data for the loads you want.

H-110 will do for the heavy loads, and Unique is hard to beat for milder charges. There's your starting point.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

2400 is a very versatile powder as there is no problems reducing it a little unlike 110 & 296. It will also provide loads with decent velocity, but not quite the level of 110 or 296.
    If you want one powder this might due for you. You need to look in the manuals or online at the powder manufacturer sites. Could even call the manufacturers.

Unique as Stew stated is a great powder for mid-range loads. AA #2 is a very clean, but fast powder that works for reduced loads and goes along ways.

Thanks.

I have a couple of manuals just not the Lyman. A buddy convinced me that H110 was the stuff, so I bought a pound for heavy loads and the 400gr. mold for the .480 Ruger I have for the encore. I had looked at the 296 and thought that it looked real close to the H110 so that was what i bought. I may have to look at the 2400, and unique but I was hoping for more of a If I could have only 2 or 3 powders for the .44, thees would be the ones that for accuracy couldn't be beat out of a 4 inch barrel. I know all pistols shoot different but I'm looking to buy the best bang for the buck type of deal. I had looked hard at enforcer and I can't seem to find it, or anyone who has talked it up enough to make me look harder for it. I have loaded a couple hundred and used blue dot and it was ok I was using bought bullets that were very soft. I think the loads that shot the best so far were the Keith style with tight group that I keep for 45acp As soon as I get a little more time I'm going to cast some out of all of the molds.

Boolit Master

.44 Spcl:
    Bullseye, 231, or Unique. Trail Boss for lower velocity loads, hard to double charge with this, unlike BE & 231.

.44 Mag:
    Unique, 2400, H110/296

Works for me, but other choices are available.

Do NOT attempt to reduce loads using H110/W296. Reduced loads with that powder can cause hangfires and secondary ignition pressure spikes high enough to destroy the gun. The problem is even worse with non-magnum primers, lightweight bullets and mild crimp.

If using H110/W296 follow the published load data EXACTLY with no change of components whatsoever and no charge reduction.

You can load both cartridges from mild to medium with W231 using the bullets mentioned. You shouldn't need heavy 44 Special loads since you have magnum cases. For 3/4 throttle to heavy 44 Magnum loads, I'd recommend 2400. You can cover a lot of loading ground with those two powders.

Thanks again. I just found some data for 2400 it looks good.

Boolit Master
    H 110 with the 400 gr. RCBS cast boolit was very accurate in my .480 Ruger. I gotta get another, or at least an Encore barrel for it again some day.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I know you did not ask about this powder, but Blue Dot has worked well in my "ruger only" 45 colt loads and my mid range "almost magnum" 44 magnum loads. Comfortable, clean, easy on the pocket. I really like the blue dot. Unique will work well, also. Where unique ran out due to pressure for me, Blue dot took up, and 2400, h110, and 296 finished up. The Blue Dot really filled my all around bill.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Someone (who will probably post before I finish typing) will likely provide you with some data that can easily be found in any of the various handloading manuals, or on line from one or more of the powder manufacturers. I recommend that you buy three manuals (take your pick of Lyman, Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Hodgdon, etc.) and study them, including the "How To" section. You'll learn plenty about handloading and you'll find data for the loads you want.

H-110 will do for the heavy loads, and Unique is hard to beat for milder charges. There's your starting point.

Regards,

Stew
    Yep, I agree 100%.
    If you are going to shoot lead bullets, I'd suggest Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook. Along with that manual I'd suggest slugging the cylinder throats and bore, and size your bullets accordingly. http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_Measu...Dimensions.htm scroll down to "How to Slug a Barrel"
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I think I gave the blue dot a bad shake I loaded a pound through a 44 raging bull. I had bought the bullets and they were soft and it leaded BAD!!! I don't recall trying to push them hard but it made a mess. I may have to try to load some more out of it with the harder bullets I have cast. I also traded that gun off it was a good looking gun, it just didn't shoot.

Banned

another vote for unique as your second powder.

I like Blue Dot. 44 magnum, 245 gr. cast, 15 grains was my silhouette load for years, out of Thompson Center. For me, it's an accurate load, easy on the hand and wrist. On a Taurus Model 441 - 44S, 245 gr. cast, 10 grains. A 5 shot group at 25 meters is about the size of a fist. It's a very versatile powder.
    Last edited by Aunegl; 11-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks.

Tom W. I cought the .480 Ruger shipped for 165$ then got 50$ back from T.C. (still waiting on the check).
    I will check into the unique seems to have quite a few fans. Thanks all.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    In fast powders I have shot 1,000's of rounds w/ PB, 700X, GREEN DOT, UNIQUE, & 100's of rounds w/ several others.
    The best of the fast powders in the 44 with 180,225,240, 250, &325gr. bullets was unique.
    Makes a good practice to light hunting load.
    May be best load for your 4" bbl.
    As all powder is burned.
    In the fast powders with like experience/use I found 2400 was best in 2 different 44"s I have owned in the past 40 or so years.
    This is with the 44 mag.
    Have not shot near as much 44 special.