Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Media questions answered here.

Boolit Bub

Stainless Steel Media questions answered here.

I posted about my new Hornady LNL AP press and mentioned I clean my brass with stainless steel media. Some members replied asking questions about the media.

What is stainless Steel media? It is small stainless steel pins (What I use) or balls that are used in a rotatory type tumbler.

Rotatory type tumbler? It is a tumbler that rotates media (Dry or wet) around usually in a closed drum. I use the Thumler's Tumbler

Wet media? It is media that requires a liquid to work properly.

Where can I buy the tumbler and media? Just to let you know I do not work for any of these company's! I am just passing on info to those that maybe interested.

The link to the media site is a industrial company and "Normally" deal in larger orders so you won't see small amounts to order. You need to either email and ask for a quote explaining what it will be used for or call the 800 number and tell them what you would like. I paid $4 per pound and 5-6 lbs is normally what is needed for most rotatory tumblers that would be good for tumbling brass. Also there is a minimum order of $25 minus shipping.

http://www.pelletsllc.com/

Where can I buy a rotatory tumbler? There are a number of them so I will just link the one that I own and let you do the comparing to others if you wish.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4583.html

Boolit Master

I've heard there is also brass media that works as well as the stainless. Anyone have info on it?

BTW thanks Xfire68 for that info, I'm sure lots of people are interested, wasn't trying to take anything away from SS and would like to try it myself.

Boolit Bub
    That is fine Moonie, but, I would wonder how well the same metal would work on the same metal? SS is harder and will last a life time as long as you don't loose it! LOL

Boolit Bub
    to: xfire68
    i would like to try the stainless steel tumbling media and i need to know what size to buy (there are many listed) for rifle and pistol cases?

Boolit Master
    Do you have to add anything in addition to the SS media for the results you get?

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Do you have to add anything in addition to the SS media for the results you get?

Winelover

Soap and hot water is it!

Boolit Bub
    to: xfire68
    i would like to try the stainless steel tumbling media and i need to know what size to buy (there are many listed) for rifle and pistol cases?

I can't remember what the size is? I think .064x??

It will work on both pistol and rifle cases.

I will try and find the emails from Pellets and let you know what the size is but, if you want to buy it just give them a call they know what size to send you.

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to look at some of the jewelry supply stores that sell magnetic tumblers. It's just a flywheel with some very powerful magnets attached. You put a plastic bowl on top with these steel pins with soap and water, the parts to be cleaned and go. The flywheel spins around and the magnetic field drags the pins with it. I hope this helps.
    AggieEE

Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn't this media be used in a vibratory tumbler?
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Go to 6br.com search stainless media, a good article there.
    Mugs
    IHMSA 5940L
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn't this media be used in a vibratory tumbler?

It is heavier then the brass and sinks to the bottom. The brass just floats on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    It is heavier then the brass and sinks to the bottom. The brass just floats on top of it.
    Ahh! Ok, makes sense. Thanks!
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Moderator Emeritus

One word of caution about using S/S tumbling media, it may work harden your brass over time.

Jewelers use it to "burnish" jewelry, burnishing work hardens the surface of the metal. At least it does on my silversmith projects which is why we use it.

The effect on cartridge brass may be negligible but I thought I would mention it anyway.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    One word of caution about using S/S tumbling media, it may work harden your brass over time.

Jewelers use it to "burnish" jewelry, burnishing work hardens the surface of the metal. At least it does on my silversmith projects which is why we use it.

The effect on cartridge brass may be negligible but I thought I would mention it anyway.
    I have not been using it long enough to notice a difference in case life or any other effects SS media might have on the brass but, I have talked to a number of people and some of which have been using it for a few years and they have not reported any unusual effects on the brass either.

The only problem I see with using SS media is on nickel plated cases. It seems to ware it off faster then corn or walnut media but not such an accelerated rate that you can't put them in for shorter cleanings. Nickel brass cleans up quicker then regular brass does so I separate it now.

Boolit Master

In some back issue of handloader they had a article on different types of brass cleaning media.
    I personaly have been useing bb gun bbs and joy dish washing liquid mixed in water for 30 years in my 2 lorton tumblers , the bbs do rust if not compleatly dry before putting them away. I got this mix from a old timer. As a + bbs are cheap and readly avalible

http://stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I bought their S.S. media and have followed their instructions and very pleased with the results.
    I have used the ceramic media for my BPCR rifles and works as well it's just not for bottle neck and smaller than .40 cal straight wall cartridges/cases.
    Nothing I have used cleans out primer pockets better than the S.S. media.

Boolit Master
    how big is your tumbler, how much brass can be done in one load....run it how long ?

this looks like the ticket for the black powder shooters, or someone worried about how shinny the inside of thier brass is.....

the rcbs sidewinder is another option with this method......

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    how big is your tumbler, how much brass can be done in one load....run it how long ?

this looks like the ticket for the black powder shooters, or someone worried about how shinny the inside of thier brass is.....

the rcbs sidewinder is another option with this method......

mike in co
    I looked for the specs on how big my Thumler's Tumbler is and did not find anything?

I can clean 1,200 9mm at a time and it says you can do 250 30.06 at a time but, that is not one I currently do.

It takes around 2 hours depending on how dirty the brass is and if your cleaning really dirty primer pockets or not? It seems that you can't get much more done by going longer then 4 hours. This stuff cleans the poop out of the brass!

That RCBS tumbler (Close to $400) would do the trick but, it costs way too much to justify one over a Thumler's Tumbler Model B ($160) and it has a what seems to be smaller capacity of 150 30-06. Not sure if that is because is has a smaller motor or a smaller drum? RCBS in general seems to be way over priced for what your getting?

Boolit Master
    i got no need for immaculately clean pistol brass...but maybe for my benchrest 300 win mag....
    i do have the sidewinder( with three drums...for bullet coating)......hmmmm one more drum for actual brass cleaning.......

i hope the black powdeer guys are listening....

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

i hope the black powdeer guys are listening....
    Majority of them use the Thumblers Tumbler with ceramic media. It is what all other brass cleaning methods or machines are compared to for cleaning B/P straight wall cases.