Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Tru-Line Jr.

Boolit Master

Lyman Tru-Line Jr.

Anybody got a copy of the instructions for me please? Thanks.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Cat,

I probably have one at home. I will try to look it up for you. Do you need the die list also?

Boolit Grand Master
    If Jeremy strikes out, I'll look for my set, but I'm betting he can find his a whole lot faster than I find mine!

Froggie

PS Actually, you can use the same directions as for any turret press, just hold them farther away so everything looks small!

Boolit Master

manley,

Nope, just the tool instructions.

Froggie,

That was funny, thanks.

Cat

Boolit Master

Cat,

I will dig them out, I may not know exactly where they are. but I know they are in the basement with all the other stuff! Actually they are in a tube rolled up with all the other truline jr and 310 stuff. Hang in there it may take me a day or so.

Banned
    I have two sets, 1952 and 1960. Unfortunatly the board will not let me upload them. Says there is a 100 kb limit for PDF files.

Best way to get them is email me.
    Herters@netins.net

Ken

Boolit Master

Cat,

It looks like Ken already has some scanned. Send him a pm with your email and I am sure he will help you out.

I didn't get a chance to scan the one I have last night.

Ken,

You might put it up at the ARTCA forum and generate some traffic over there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If Jeremy strikes out, I'll look for my set, but I'm betting he can find his a whole lot faster than I find mine!

Froggie

PS Actually, you can use the same directions as for any turret press, just hold them farther away so everything looks small!

Really, that was only said half in jest... the TruLine Jr is about as conventional a design as any turret press ever made. You need to use the smaller (310 tool size) dies and either use the special J-type shell holders and their accompanying primer punches or get the adaptor to use RCBS shell holders and then use the Special-T priming punches. Other than that, just remember it is a small press and don't try to work it too hard, and everything will be fine! I'm currently in the process of setting one of mine up for the .32 S&W Long cartridge, and am using all NOS original parts, so the process is exactly like described above. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Ken,

I think I sent you an email, did I do it right? If not, it'd be my first ever mistake you know.

Cat

Banned
    Email recieved and instructions sent.
    Ken

You could try contacting LYMAN direct and ask them to send you that data. Another way is to look at some of the Lyman/Ideal loading manuals from the early days.
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Home Firearm & Pistol Instructor
    WDNR Hunter Safety Instructor
    2nd Amendment Supporter

Boolit Master

No Irish, this way is much faster. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Instructions received and thank you much Ken. Just what I needed.

Cat

Boolit Master

Cat glad you got the info.

Pressman thanks for covering my butt and being prompt about it. That is why you are the go to guy.

Boolit Grand Master
    See, with Ken and Jeremy here to do all the serious work, I can just be the comedian to play off all the set ups and straight lines! These guys really know their stuff and more importantly they are organized. On the other hand, if you need a little comic relief from time to time, "I'm your Huckleberry."

On a serious note, the little TL Jr seems to be enjoying a resurgence of interest... I'm really not to sure whether it is all nostalgia driven or something else, because for a while there you had a hard time giving one away, and now every few days somebody seems to be discovering them and trying to put one back into service. I will repeat my earlier statement that they are great little presses as long as you remember that they are indeed little presses and don't try to over stress them. They work well for neck sizing duties, for instance, but even a .38 special presents a real load if it has to be full length resized to any significant degree. Of course with the interest in 310 tools I see, the idea of a bench mounted press to use these dies is as attractive now as it was in the 1930s and '40s, so maybe that is contributing to the phenomenon as well. Regardless, they really are fun presses to use, compact and easy to store, and the cool factor of using something out of the mainstream is always attractive, so let's do it!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Green Frog;

You've hit the nail on the head, these are very handy press's!

Yes I can see someone "over tourquing" one and breaking it but I have converted a compound linkage moder to both the x type shell holders and 7/8x14 die plate.

With a touch of Imperial sizing wax and a carbide die I can size both 357 and 44 mag with no strain at all.

Boolit Master

They are a cute little bugger, that's sure. I won't overstress mine as I'm a fairly careful mechanic and respect my tools.

The one I bought came with a J to X shellholder adaptor. I hadn't known there was such an animal.

Ken, I wish you'd post some pics of your collection, even just some of it! I'd love a tour.

Is the ARTCA web site back to being an open site yet? I'd like to see it again.

Cat

Banned
    Cat, the ARTCA site is open. Not a lot there yet. We need non members to post there to stimulate discussions.

I have several tools posted on the ARTCA site, virtule (sp) collection thread.

Ken

I just had one of these given to me by my neighbor's widow with original box and everything that came with the press inside from the mid-50's set up for .222 Remington. $14.75 is the price hand marked on the box. She also gave me a Lyman #55 measure still in the box with instructions and 2 drop tubes, $14.50 marked on that box. A Lyman/Ideal #39 handbook, and a Redding scale in the box, no price marked on that one.

In all, a lot of nostalga there.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master

Ken,

Thanks. Got a link?

Very cool score oldhick.

Cat

Banned
    http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/

Click on forums and it will ask you to register, just like this board. Quick and simple.

Ken