MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp

Boolit Bub

45 acp

Nothing special. I just really changed all the settings on the dies, to really make the ojive and meplat smaller. They come out at between .450-.451 range. They weigh about 228 gr +/- 1 gr. I used Federal brass and annealed them.

They shoot pretty good with a light target load of 4 gr. Titegroup.

Vendor Sponsor

Glad to see it is going well for you. Lots of possiblities isn't there. Sure do like the look of the loaded rounds with these custom bullets. Looks like the recovered bullet has some good potential too. You guys must be having a blast! It's got to be a kick going to the range and showing your own custom bullets to the other shooters.

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Glad to see it is going well for you. Lots of possiblities isn't there. Sure do like the look of the loaded rounds with these custom bullets. Looks like the recovered bullet has some good potential too. You guys must be having a blast! It's got to be a kick going to the range and showing your own custom bullets to the other shooters.

Swage On!

BT
    Yeah, had to pretty much change everything on the setup. Took the hollowpoint punch all the way out, til I got the ojive I wanted. Made the hollowpoint about half the size as yours.

Like I said, they measured in the 450-451 range, so the rifling is in the bullet.

We shot a couple of hundred at some steel and recovered what was left. They really opened up, leaving about a half dollar sized case, rim, with a small amount of lead at the bottom.

Maybe will post a pic later.

In Remembrance

Brian, I apologize for that fellow coming in and bashing your good work. He didn't keep in mind that all of this stuff is EXPERIMENTAL.

Maybe he should be contacting one of the big guys and spending $2000 on a production set of tools, and then get the $25,000 machine to run them in.

I mean, come on now...... BT makes great tools, but all are experimental. They are what they are, and that's BETTER than the CH4D version, for sure!!!

Just my opinion.

Anyways, Brian, pay no attention to the flack. I'm very happy with what you have done for me so far, and only wish that my wallet allowed me to acquire more of your great work!
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 01-10-2011 at 01:04 PM.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Long time looker, First time poster,
    I've been reading this forum for a long time and have enjoyed the back an forth exchange of ideas and information for well over a year. I appreciate the time and energy all contributors place here into public. Over the past years I have delt with many people on different sites buying and selling and as always misunderstandings, mis-communication and unrealistic expectations have been a part of life. I have found that almost all of those situations can be resolved if given a reasonable and honest chance. Hats off to Brian an all the great work and exchange of ideas he brings to our world. Thanks to all.

Vendor Sponsor

The best thing I love about this sight is the people and there ability to keep things cool! On other sights I would have been banned allready for my lousy spellin.

Lets all do our best to keep this sight as enjoyable as possible for everyone and enjoy the post and pics everyone takes the time to share. Certainly make it welcome to all the new and potential future members.

I look foward to seeing more continued pics and range results from these 45 cals from 40 S&W brass.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 01-10-2011 at 01:18 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Brian, I apologize for that fellow coming in and bashing your good work. He didn't keep in mind that all of this stuff is EXPERIMENTAL.

Maybe he should be contacting one of the big guys and spending $2000 on a production set of tools, and then get the $25,000 machine to run them in.

I mean, come on now...... BT makes great tools, but all are experimental. They are what they are, and that's BETTER than the CH4D version, for sure!!!

Just my opinion.

Anyways, Brian, pay no attention to the flack. I'm very happy with what you have done for me so far, and only wish that my wallet allowed me to acquire more of your great work!
    ???????? what "fellow" ?????? am i missing something here ??? or is this thread missing something ???? i thought i read it a few days ago and there were more posts in it ???? my eyes bad maybe ??? rofl nah, i smell a cover up maybe ??? ^^^^^^^THATS NUMBER ONE^^^^^^^ imma try to keep track for you !!!!

Moderator Emeritus

There were some posts that should have been handled in private conversations, so my guess is the moderators just either moved them, or deleted them.

Don't make more of it than it is. I haven't seen any black helicopters flying around this site......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I agree, we don't have all of the info anyway and besides there are so many positive results we are seeing.

Vendor Sponsor

Sorted things out via PM. All is good! Hope to see more results from these 45

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    EVERYTHING I have got from Brian has been 100% +++.
    And I think all the regulars here know it. I couldnt be more happy with with my gear and keep in mind ,I am fairly pickey and opinionated as he77! LOL!!...Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

Wink cant help but say,

everytime I come to this site,

brian has something new going on, and gets a person thinking,

keep up the good work brian,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by randmplumbingllc View Post
    We shot a couple of hundred at some steel and recovered what was left. They really opened up, leaving about a half dollar sized case, rim, with a small amount of lead at the bottom.

Maybe will post a pic later.
    Here is a pic of what these bullets look like AFTER hitting my IPSC targets. I thought it was kinda cool, so I thought you might like to see them too.

For someone finding one of these and not knowing any better, you would think someone blew up their .40 cal. That is what I would be thinking anyway.

Vendor Sponsor

Great stuff! Those steel targets look like a lot of fun! The bullets split perfect right allong the notches from the look of it. Six petels very cool! The rounded nose of the bullets looks good loaded too. Weather certainly looks better for you guys down there then the rain up here.

Good shooting,

Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Great stuff! Those steel targets look like a lot of fun! The bullets split perfect right allong the notches from the look of it. Six petels very cool! The rounded nose of the bullets looks good loaded too. Weather certainly looks better for you guys down there then the rain up here.

Good shooting,

Swage On!

BT
    LOVE shooting steel ! Best money I ever spent. Nothing like confirming your hits with a "ding".

Yeah, the weather in the southwest lets us shoot mostly all year long.

Boolit Master

randmplumbingllc,
    That bottle shaped silhouette target back by the hill looks familiar can you tell me what kind of target it is.

Skeet1

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    randmplumbingllc,
    That bottle shaped silhouette target back by the hill looks familiar can you tell me what kind of target it is.

Skeet1
    It is just a standard paper "Q" target used by FBI, DEA, etc.

Boolit Master

Funny when I saw this thread I thought I have shot steel with my BT .40 bullets and never found these "brass flowers." THat last time I did I actually looked and didn't find them. I went back out to shoot last weekend and found a bunch of them. They had just bounced off to one side of the steel plates and weren't right in front of them. I took a pic of them because they look cool.

One thing is these were my regular JHPs without the notching die and they still turned into brass flowers? I wonder if they split on the rifiling or just symetrically?

Neal in AZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brass flowers web.jpg  

Vendor Sponsor

Yep they split on the rifiling groves.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    Funny when I saw this thread I thought I have shot steel with my BT .40 bullets and never found these "brass flowers." THat last time I did I actually looked and didn't find them. I went back out to shoot last weekend and found a bunch of them. They had just bounced off to one side of the steel plates and weren't right in front of them. I took a pic of them because they look cool.

One thing is these were my regular JHPs without the notching die and they still turned into brass flowers? I wonder if they split on the rifiling or just symetrically?

Neal in AZ
    Yeah, I think they look cool too. Mine fly about 5-10 feet away from the steel. They are kinda hard to spot. They seem to blend in, in the desert.

It is interesting that you didn't notch yours..... It is cool, either way. I tend to believe it must be caused by the rifling too.

Thanks for sharing the pic.
    Last edited by randmplumbingllc; 01-30-2011 at 07:44 PM.