Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Range Benches and Shooting Rests- whatcha got?

Boolit Mold
    The most basic "shooting bench" I saw was in one of the American shooting magazines several years ago..

The writer wanted something he could leave on site that was unobtrusive/low key that would escape the attention of idiots and vandals but still offer a solid rest to shoot off. IIRC he was either shooting on public land (looked like a semi desert area somewhere) or on land which had a lot of access by the public..

His solution was to build a "Y" shaped out of a 4" wooden post..Over all, I am guessing it would have been about 36" tall, with one arm of "Y" was longer than the other..

The bottom of the "Y" was then sunk into the ground at an angle such that when he sat down next to it, the tops of the two arms were the right height to rest a rifle on. The tops of the arms, the angle they were cut at and their height difference was such that the fore end rested could be rested on one arm, and the butt the other.

I don't recall, but i suspect he placed a small sand bags on each arm when it came time to shoot.

As the post were sank firmly in the ground and because he effectively "wrapped him self around it" in the sitting position, he said it gave very good results, but at the same time when not in use, it didn't draw attention like a full size bench would have...

I've never made one, but I like the idea as the result would be cheap and easy enough to build you could have more than one dotted around a property..

regards,

Peter

My Deluxe, Luxury, portable shooting bench, W/pic!!

Hi Folks:
    While I am not usually one to brag or show-off, somebody DID ask to see pics of our shooting benches.
    So I figured "what the heck!".
    While it is not my intent, in any way, to hurt the feelings of those who do not have something as fancy, I am certain there is bound to be some jealousy, and that is perfectly normal and fine.
    Hope you all enjoy!!

BTW.........
    Plans will be sold in the Swapin' & Tradin' forum soon! For ONLY $49.95 with postage INCLUDED!!!

maglvr

The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    maglvr,

Are you absolutely certain that you've got that thing pointed in the correct direction?

Regards,

Tony
    Last edited by tonyjones; 07-12-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjones View Post
    maglvr,

Are you absolutely certain that you've got that thing pointed in the correct direction?

Regards,

Tony
    LOL, actually yes it is, I rarely ever shoot rifles.
    I'm a revolver guy.
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123