RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you clean wheel weights before melting?

Boolit Mold

Do you clean wheel weights before melting?

Got my first bucket of wheel weights...
    do you guys find it necessary to clean them before melting to get the grease etc off? seems like all that stuff could cause problems.
    Sorry if I ask too many *** questions... just wanna do it right and safe.
    Thanks
    NG
    "I think that the world in which we shall live these next thirty years will be a pretty restless and tormented place; I do not think that there will be much of a compromise possible between being of it, and being not of it. -Robert Oppenheimer.

Boolit Master
    I just toss them in...so long as they're dry of course. Let the cleansing power of fire take care of it. Do it outside, skim off the slag and flux with a little wax. The paraffin will catch fire, you will stir and skim again........and it'll be ready all ready.

Banned

The nice thing about WW is that they usually already come coated with a fantastic flux/reducant (grease, oil, dog pee, tobacco spit, etc.) that helps reduce oxides in the smelting process. Just don't throw the WW straight in your casting pot, melt them down and make clean ingots first, then melt the ingots in your casting pot.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

I just picked out the easy stuff like valve stems and such. It quicker and easier to just scoop out the crud, which you will still have anyway.
    Aim small, miss small!

Cast Boolits Owner

There are never too many questions. I dump them out on the driveway, get out the non-wheel weight materials (razor blades, valve stems, cig butts, paper, steel / zinc weights) then shovel it into the smelter. The grease will help with the fluxing process, the dirt will float to the top.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Like Dean, I just throw 'em in there, grease, dirt, paint, whatever on them. It will all burn and flux off once they melt. I do try to stay close by to be sure not to let the pot get way too hot. Tho I sort out the zinc and steel, once in a while I miss one (or a few!) and I don't want the zincs to melt. They will just be floating on top when the lead all melts. Skim 'em off.
    I use sawdust as flux, and a wood stick to get to the bottom of the pot.
    When I do stick-on weights, I find some of the sticky tape gets stuck on the bottom of the pot. There it will bubble, telling me there is contaminant in the melt. I stir/scrape the bottom with the stick, and it comes clean.
    Collect all you can! They are going the way of the Dodo bird....

Boolit Mold
    Thank you everybody! I really appreciate your input.
    Guess I'm gettin the idea. Stick a heavy pot on the ole coleman gas stove and go!
    Get it outside away from the women and children. Skim it clean and pour ingots to use in your casting pot later. You answered questions I had but didn't even remember to ask.

Thanks again

NG
    "I think that the world in which we shall live these next thirty years will be a pretty restless and tormented place; I do not think that there will be much of a compromise possible between being of it, and being not of it. -Robert Oppenheimer.

Boolit Master

That's pretty much it. I'll re-state the obvious that was posted earlier. The most common danger is water: make certain they are DRY before dropping into melted alloy already in the pot.

Boolit Master

Wear safety glasses AT ALL TIMES! Gloves when needed. And adequate clothing and shoes.

Boolit Master

Talking

Also use a thermometer and don't let the melt get over 700deg so the zinc WW will float to the top to be skimmed off.

Banned

And don't forget to wash your hands before touching the doorknob that your 3yr old will hang on just before he/she licks their fingers.... there are some real dangers here although many (like "lead fumes") are a little far fetched. Lead ingestion (and it doesn't take much) can cause pretty serious brain and nerve problems in very young children. Not nearly so much danger for teens and adults.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Gear is right. Ingestion is a much bigger issue than "fumes". I worry far more about the lead dust around my casting area. Sweeping is not good as it only kicks up dust but a vacuum without a proper filter does likewise. Best bet is probably to wet things down slightly and sweep very carefully.

Boolit Master
    Don't wash, oil is a good flux. sort out valve stems and razor blades while wearing disposable plastic gloves also a good time to get rid of Zinc and steel wheel weights. When making ingots, start with an empty pot and don't worry about a little water the heat will evaporate it before it can get under the lead.. Remove clips from melt and make ingots. Use all the melt. Start your second batch with an empty pot. Load as full as possible. Heating from an empty pot will evaporate water. If you are melting range lead you may get some water under the surface of the melt and this is not good and you may want to crush the jackets to let the water out. Especially when making ingots I would recommend wearing disposable gloves. It keeps really nasty crud off your hands and makes washing up a lot easier.
    Last edited by Duckiller; 01-03-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Corrections and additions

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    And don't forget to wash your hands before touching the doorknob that your 3yr old will hang on just before he/she licks their fingers.... there are some real dangers here although many (like "lead fumes") are a little far fetched. Lead ingestion (and it doesn't take much) can cause pretty serious brain and nerve problems in very young children. Not nearly so much danger for teens and adults.

Gear
    Truer words do not exist!

Lead ingestion and lead inhalation of particulate matter (dust from sweeping ETC) causes neurological damages to all living creatures. It is much much worse on the young ones since their nervous system is still forming. This includes our pets.

On the other hand, most of us old farts have lost so much neurological function - from alcohol, poor diet, lack of oxygen from chasing wild wimmen and so on - there just ain't much left to damage.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Banned

I don't clean them, I consider the dirt "flux" and just melt the whole lot.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I usually pick out the stick on WW's and save them to clean separtely later on, I also try to pull out as many of the valve stems that I can. The rest is used for flux.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I may over do it but I like to wear a resperator I got for painting cars to keep from breathing so much smoke.

I'm sorry but I have been lead to believe that lead vapour/fumes are many times more absorptive than solid lead.

the lungs/blood can absorb lead vapour very rapidly, but solid lead can remain in the human body for a long time without causing harm.

I think you guys have it backwards regarding fumes and dust.
    Now I have some research to do

==================
    update: well I have just done some reading and Wow... I am surprised.

the absorption rate for vapour and dust appears to be pretty much the same (for very fine dust particles)

the reason children are at a higher risk is their exposure can be greater and they absorb it more readily, as so pregnant women.

it seems we don't really absorb lead through the skin by handling it much. ie/ large particles are not that harmful, it is the very fine particles that cause issues. especially inhaled.

this is all fairly new to me. the information on lead that I received during my OSH training years ago is pretty dated I now realize.

Thanks for making this subject an issue, as I just learned important info today. Which will help me recognize risks when my grandson comes to visit.

again, Thanks
    Last edited by nanuk; 01-03-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: got an education

Boolit Master
    I just try to stay out of the smoke. Its not easy because like they say , " smoke follows beauty " .
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Once I get about half an inch of lead melted, I make sure it's well below Zinc melting temp and add "stuff" from the WW pail a handfull at a time by lowering it in with a very large ladle. If there are valve stems, lug nuts, zinc, etc, they will just float, and not melt (even the valve stems), and I just skim them off. I continue to monitor the temp so I don't melt any Zinc.

I used to go through each and every piece going into my pot, and it took forever - now its much easier and I feel I get the same results.

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast