RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '06 LC Match brass

'06 LC Match brass

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so here goes:

Can anyone tell me how the volume of Hi-Tech's 30-06 - LC Match Virgin - Unfired brass compares to Remington brass? I think I want to make .35 Whelen cases out of this stuff.

MJ

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    MJ, what are you looking for? Quality or volume? ... felix
    felix

Felix,

Both.

MJ

Get the cheapest, then, and hope for the best. All brass is lot dependent. You really have to pay for quality control. If you only want a hundered cases, you can afford the quality control up front. If you want a 1000 cases, then order a 1000 and take the best 500 by shooting trials. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I loaded a lot of LC match brass over they years and it is good brass. I do not know what volumn in has but I would say that it probably is a little less than commercial brass. Generally it lasts longer than Remington brass especially in an M1. I shot it mostly in a Model 70 match rifle when I was competing in high power matches. Eventually (after three rebarrels) I went to 308 for that rifle. However, I found that the 308 did not do as well at 1000 yards as the old 06 round so bought a second model 70 in 30-06 just for 1000 yard matches.

If anyone out there can weigh a few 30-06 - LC Match cases and post their results I'll compare it to the weight of my R-P Whelen brass. Better yet, how many grains (filled to the base of the neck) of H380 (or H414 or W760) can you get in your 30-06 - LC Match cases?

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-27-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

LC I don't recall if its 68 or 69 vs R&P 35 whelen.
    RP35 W Unfired [no fired available] Gr of 4895 full to neck fol;lowed by oal
    RP 64.5 gr Oal 2.495"
    LC Blown out to 35 W 65.3 gr Oal 2.475"
    LC 06 unfired 62.2 gr Oal 2.490
    As you can see I use this in my Whelen. I have not shot it enough to reccommend a load and it is still on the project end of the safe. I expect the Rp to have a slightly greater capacity after firing and the neck difference is there. The Saeco 352 chambers just under the lands and the check is in the neck on these. A&B [Midway] barrel, 98 Mauser action. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

MT Gianni,

Are those capacities all in terms of grains of 4895? I just measured the capacity of a R-P Whelen case (neck-sized cases after forming) in terms of grains of DP85 (supposedly just like Ramshot Hunter) and the capacity came to 62.5 grains, about 0.4" from the mouth.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-27-2006 at 05:01 PM.

Cast Boolits Owner

What is this Hi-tech? Is there a web site?
    Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Can anyone tell me how the volume of Hi-Tech's 30-06 - LC Match Virgin - Unfired brass compares to Remington brass?
    MJ
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Moderator Emeritus

Marlin Junky, Yup it was what was on the bench.

Moderator Emeritus

No 1, go to the bottom of the page and click in on Castpic's, follow it to links and go to powders. Click on Hi-Tech and look under Brass. Gianni

Boolit Mold

Smile Here's Lake City 68 Match 06 brass

Hi

I just weighed 5 out of my box of a 1000.

1 @ 193.6
    1 @ 193.3
    1 @ 193
    1 @ 192.6
    1 @ 192

I hope this helps

Mike

Boolit Master
    Would it be benefical to get , say 1000 cases, weigh them all and say get all the 193 grain cases and use just that one weight of case, plus or minus .1 grain for your match loads or am I over complicating things?

Thanks,

Ron

Cast Boolits Owner

thanks buddy!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    No 1, go to the bottom of the page and click in on Castpic's, follow it to links and go to powders. Click on Hi-Tech and look under Brass. Gianni
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Weight is only one consideration. The most important factor for match accuracy is wall thickness all the way down each case. It must be the same incrementally on a per case basis. Hence, the word quality control. In other words, if it were possible to fully expand the case from the inside, the outside would be perfectly smooth and not have any runout. The only way to find this out, and have fun doing so, would be to shoot each case with a previous load found good for a sample of cases. Pick all the ones that center into the POI. Re-do the same with the selected cases all over again. Repeat until you have the number of cases that you consider you will ever need. Ebay the remainders. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Felix,

Follow you on wall thickness and getting rid of the ones that don't make the grade.

Thanks,

Ron

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ron brooks View Post
    Would it be benefical to get , say 1000 cases, weigh them all and say get all the 193 grain cases and use just that one weight of case, plus or minus .1 grain for your match loads or am I over complicating things?

Thanks,

Ron
    Yes that is over complicating it. You woulod have to also clean all the cases, FL size them, trim them to same overall length, deburr the flash holes; all before you weighed them. Then if did something like turn the necks it's a whole new game. And also consider that as you fire them and have to trim they will not stretch thesame and the weights will be different again. If you just neck size you won't have this problem though. Really, unless you have a benchrest rifle you will never see a result from those finer details. I gave up weighing cases years ago after many tests that proved I was wasting my time. Benifits come from using a single lot of cases and uniforming them.

Larry Gibson

Yes, Larry, for non-BR guns pick the ones that shoot into the group, and forget fine tuning the cases. Too much labor for no measurable increase in performance. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    I used to shoot cleans with very high X counts, prone at 1000 yards. Never weighed a case in my life, used regular WW 338 mag brass necked to 30 in the magnum and LC match brass in the 30-06 and had virtually no problems with unexplained shots with any of it. I've also used regular WW 30-06 brass with no problems. If I were COMPETITIVE in BR it may be a different matter but since don't shoot any competition at all any more I'm not going to worry about it. Relax and enjoy shooting, don't over complicate it with a bunch of stuff that isn't going to make any difference anyhow. Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

Cheers,

Phil

What's the best way to form a Whelen case from a '06 LC Match case and how much length do you loose in doing so? I found a few '72 LC Match cases in my stash and when comparing them to some R-P .35 Whelen brass I found the former weighed about 3 grains less than the latter and held a little more H380 to the shoulder. The LC brass was on the short side though at 2.48".

MJ

P.S. Or, should I just run the LC '06 brass through a Whelen sizing die and fire-form with some .357 boolits? I don't have my reloading dies yet and was thinking about a set of Lee Pacesetter dies for the Whelen.
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 10-28-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast